• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's clever enough to work out what 246 '60's quid is in 2012's ZARondts?

About R25k, as near as I can figure. Used an American inflation table, but near enough I guess?

Dunno. Aren't most of the 747's and *** like that flying today from the 70's and 80's anyway?

74's mostly all from last century :eek: but Boeing are making a new version now 747-8

Most of the airliners nowdays dont seem to have improved much for passenger comfort since the 60's...compared to the brochure

Ok so we got IFE, less noise now and probbaly better air levels but seats and leg room narra...

Those seats in the brochure of the 707, wonder if they really were like that?

Edited by SwissVan

Well, all the old timers say that they bought their first car for 160 pounds and the equivalent price of a cheap car is R100k +. So a flight would have cost R100k + in modern day cash?

Well, all the old timers say that they bought their first car for 160 pounds and the equivalent price of a cheap car is R100k +. So a flight would have cost R100k + in modern day cash?

No, inflation isn't straightforward like that. I get what you are saying, but that's simply anecdotal, not real.

By the way, that exact thing parked on the runway, still sporting the orange tail with springbok on it, made about 20 land-and-take-offs here at the military airbase in Centurion yesterday, love the sound of it, can't believe they kept one in its original colours

By the way, that exact thing parked on the runway, still sporting the orange tail with springbok on it, made about 20 land-and-take-offs here at the military airbase in Centurion yesterday, love the sound of it, can't believe they kept one in its original colours

You mean the SAA 707?

DF MALAN

any history to the pic ? what year possibly ?

a USAF plane at DF Malan .....

any history to the pic ? what year possibly ?

a USAF plane at DF Malan .....

No there was a time when they frequented our skies regularly in marked aircraft. That looks like a DC 6 standing there with a De Haviland Viscount in the back. Same as the Rietbok that disappeared into the sea near East London, I think.

Pic was taken mid sixties I guess.