MTB Specific: What Tyre Pressures

Theo18

I agree too much air,I Weigh 74kgs and run 160psi in front and 180psi rear on a fs bike, hav'nt had a problem in two years

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah bro, far too high. I'm 102kg and run 30psi...

I agree too much air,I Weigh 74kgs and run 160psi in front and 180psi rear on a fs bike, hav'nt had a problem in two years

Looking forward to my next ride then even more so than usual. :)

Neg.

I run the same 29er giant rims and have done the tubeless conversion with both good and bad results. Below 1.8 bar I had bad front wheel burps and eventually had to redo the tubeless conversion. Removed the tape and replaced with bontrager conversion and subsequently have had excellent results. Tyre seats more easily and am now running pressures as low as 1.6 bar although I find this creates too much drag.

Ideal pressure for me is 1.8 bar front and back. I have run conti race king, mountain king and hutchison python at these pressures succesfully.

I weigh in at 83 kg.

Tubeless is definitely the wsy to go if I look at the time I have saved myself with all the pinctures thst have sealed themselves.

I weigh 60kg, ride a 29er with tubeless wheels (ZTR Crest) and Schwalbe Racing Ralphs (previously used Spez Fast Track, e.g. 2011 Epic etc). Run front tyre at 1.2 bar, rear 1.4 bar. Never burped. When I pump them to 1.5/1.7 it feels like I'm on a bouncing ball being thrown about ... feels much better and far grippier at lower pressures. But need right wheels and tyres ...

I agree, last year out at the BC Bike race all the top guys basically race as low as they can go without burping on tubeless setups. Soft tyres grab like velcro and are way more comfortable. For those of you who believe a harder tyre is faster offroad read this bit of research (http://www.mtbonline.co.za/info/mtb-tyre-rolling-resistance.htm). I weigh 70kgs and run a fat 2.3 Rocket Ron up front at 1.4 Bar and a 2.2 Ralph in the rear at 1.6 Bar. Never had a problem. Key is good tubeless tyres and rims - decent wheels are the single best investment you can make to improve your ride and times!

actually, what stands out most besides the pressure debate, is the wider tyre. Industry wide, there is support for thinner tyres on wider beads to get the necessary volume without the weight penalty of a wider tyre. However, the data in that link provided by GeorgeV suggests the weight penalty is essentially insignificant in comparison to runner wider, heavier tyre. :thumbup: The weight weenies must be confused cos now they have to think with the grey matter, and not the Benjamins :P

It's funny how certain tyres are more unhappy than others when riding them with too high pressure. Case in point is the Highroller 2.35 UST. When I got them I started off at 2 bar and they were just not hooking up the way I thought they should. I'm now running 1.5 bar and it's like a completely different tyre. Great predictable traction. So I guess the lesson here, is too play around with the pressure as much as possible until you find the sweet spot.

10bar on a MTB rim? Does he inflate them till they explode and inflate them a little more? :blink: That's gotta be fun coming down Bridal! :clap:

It's funny how certain tyres are more unhappy than others when riding them with too high pressure. Case in point is the Highroller 2.35 UST. When I got them I started off at 2 bar and they were just not hooking up the way I thought they should. I'm now running 1.5 bar and it's like a completely different tyre. Great predictable traction. So I guess the lesson here, is too play around with the pressure as much as possible until you find the sweet spot.

Yeah, and what works for one guy with a specific tire won't unnecessary work for the next.

bastard. :cursing: :-P

rofl... Yeah. They are big cheeseburgers. With bacon. And onions. And lettuce / tomato.

But they make a helluva difference to how hard I have to run the tires...

Well done! Now you've gone and made me hungry! :cursing:

So I read through this thread and see the issue of burping and major wipeouts coming up. Why bother with tubeless then?

I have read about being able to then run your tyres at lower pressures but then the numbers being put forward on this thread are hardly low numbers. I run these same pressures on my tubes. I have not have any punctures or pinch flats since getting my new bike in Nov last year.

And to complete my quattro of posts...

Burbing is often due to rim / tyre combo as well - not just tyre pressures.

Edited by The Crow

high roller and predictable? meh.. <_<

dont you find the transition from middle to side knobs a tad 'surprising'? It's like a bloody temporal shift during cornering from happygoLucky to OMGWTFJUStHAPPENEDWHY'sMyFaceBleeding..

high roller and predictable? meh.. <_<

dont you find the transition from middle to side knobs a tad 'surprising'? It's like a bloody temporal shift during cornering from happygoLucky to OMGWTFJUStHAPPENEDWHY'sMyFaceBleeding..

Well I came from Nevegal's which I found tough to ride with. You just never knew when they would let go. With the HR's you at least know what's gonna happen and when. Hence my "predictable" comment. But ok, I don't push the grip envelope as far as you DH boykies, so maybe that's why you have a different experience with them?

...from happygoLucky to OMGWTFJUStHAPPENEDWHY'sMyFaceBleeding..

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Funnily enough I find them more predictable than Minions. Strange hey.

Edited by The Crow

hahha. my minor exaggeration aside, Crow,you not the first to say you find the minions less predictable than the HRs. I find the minions highly predictable. Maybe it's our riding styles that define the difference in experiences. I've been meaning to try the HRs again, but going with the HR IIs.

Banna: I made my peace with those NeverAgains. It took messing around with both my fork and the tyre pressure to find my happyplace with those tyres. First set the fork, and then tinkered with pressure. It took a while to find the right pressure,but once i found it, them nevegals do hook up pretty darn good. I can't hate on em anymore. I guess i was initially, simply too lazy to find that sweet spot. After that experience, I'm beginning to think most of us that slam a tyre, was equally lazy :P

I cant remember the pressures off hand. I'll check at home and let you know so we can compare.

Edited by Capricorn