Riding up the DOWNhills at Tokai

grb285

Ok. 2pm. Deon Can you org a gate key? We can go up in my bakkie.

what do you take to build with?

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe this thread is STILL going :D

Closing arguments please :)

I've lost track since about page 3, but has someone confirmed whether the section of trail is clearly marked as 'downhill only'?

As far as I know, they are signed Downhill 1, 2 & 3 and Vasbyt. Not sure where it says 'downhill only'.

You are completely right. We do have right of way on certain trails. Downhill 1, 2 and 3 to be exact. on the rest of the mountain you have right of way.

We're not incapable of sharing anything. It's a safety issue.

I hope to never grow up.

You have made your opinions clear here on The Hub.

But, I don't think that the general public know that this decision has been made, and I imagine that this will be met with some resistance if and when its implemented. 'No Entry' signs at the bottom will be ignored and I am sure some twerp will remove them.

If this debate turned public, i.e. outside of The Hub, I am sure it would get more heated than it did here. Some people might say that more people ride up it, than pure down hillers ride down it.

I do agree that its a contentious issue and an accident waiting to happen.

Who is in charge of the trails in Tokai? Who put up the existing singletrack name signs?

What do they have to say about this?

Guest Omega Man

what do you take to build with?

Any 1 of.

Metal rake

Spade

Hand held saw. If you have a petrol chainsaw that's even better.

If we gonna clear the exit point on Vasbyt we will need to cut a few logs and do quite a lot of raking. (If I remember correctly)

Cool. I have 1 * Rip saw, and a box saw for the smaller ones. Will also bring a spade and pitchfork (so I can act like King Neptune and tell the insolent fools to get out of my kingdom!)

Sorry - that was the drugs talking. 6 coffees so far today. All black, no sugar. All strong as feck. Buzzing.

Guest Omega Man

@splat.

The thing is Tokai is a popular and crowded mountain biking venue. And with roadies moving away from the roads because of the danger it's going to get even more crowded. Apart from the carpark, the intersection at Vasbyt is a focal point as it's where the folks going up intersect with the people coming down. And it's where the fast oke waits for his slowpoke buddy coming up or down.

It's not only downhillers that come down there. Downhillers, XC guys and the unicycle guys all use that bit of trail to come down. In fact. All mountain bikers are downhillers. Think about it. You might shy away from the label cos your bike is 9kg and carbon but we're all downhillers.

The fact is the sign at the entrance to that bit of trail says Downhill 3/Vasbyt. And to me that means that on that particular stretch of trail people coming down the trail have right of way. Not Downhillers. People coming down. Downhillers, xc riders and uni's alike.

We're all getting very vociferous on here because we all love mountain biking and as soon as we feel someone is threatening our fun we get agro.

Edited by Omega Man

@splat.

The thing is Tokai is a popular and crowded mountain biking venue. And with roadies moving away from the roads because of the danger it's going to get even more crowded. Apart from the carpark, the intersection at Vasbyt is a focal point as it's where the folks going up intersect with the people coming down.

It's not only downhillers that come down there. Downhillers, XC guys and the unicycle guys all use that bit of trail to come down.

The fact is the sign at the entrance to that bit of trail says Downhill 3/Vasbyt. And to me that means that on that particular stretch of trail people coming down the trail have right of way. Not Downhillers. People coming down. Downhillers, xc riders and uni's alike.

We're all getting very vociferous on here because we all love mountain biking and as soon as we feel someone is threatening our fun we get agro.

I don't think that there was any classification according to the type of rider, Omega - rather that the person going down the Downhill Only trail (regardless of their choice of steed) has right of way over the guy coming up the Downhill Only trail (let's not get into the debate over the right to be there in the first place - that horse has been thoroughly flogged)

If there was any claim over a section of trail according to the TYPE of BIKE ridden as opposed to the DIRECTION that the person is riding (up or down) then that is erronous and cannot be excused. After all, even I on my XC bike try to go on the downhill trails. I don't expect someone on a mUni to move over for me just because I've dropped my seatpost and therefore have changed into a Dirt Jumper... If he's going faster than me, I'll move over for him and remark that he's a crazy mofo who should know better than to embarass me by going past me on one wheel... If I'm going faster than a guy on a DH sled on the same piece of trail, I'll either trail behind him for a bit, or pass if & when it is safe to do so, or otherwise ask him to move over for me.

Guest Omega Man

I don't think that there was any classification according to the type of rider, Omega - rather that the person going down the Downhill Only trail (regardless of their choice of steed) has right of way over the guy coming up the Downhill Only trail (let's not get into the debate over the right to be there in the first place - that horse has been thoroughly flogged)

If there was any claim over a section of trail according to the TYPE of BIKE ridden as opposed to the DIRECTION that the person is riding (up or down) then that is erronous and cannot be excused. After all, even I on my XC bike try to go on the downhill trails. I don't expect someone on a mUni to move over for me just because I've dropped my seatpost and therefore have changed into a Dirt Jumper... If he's going faster than me, I'll move over for him and remark that he's a crazy mofo who should know better than to embarass me by going past me on one wheel... If I'm going faster than a guy on a DH sled on the same piece of trail, I'll either trail behind him for a bit, or pass if & when it is safe to do so, or otherwise ask him to move over for me.

Ja. That's what I was trying to say but you did a much better job than I. And I would ride up on my 18kg water-bed but sadly I'm not strong enough.

Edited by Omega Man

Actually, his 'intolerance' as you call it is quite welcome. For some (many) of us, he hit the nail on the head, and did so without being a **** himself. The only line of understanding in this thread is that downhillers believe they have the right of way, that this is fact and cannot be questioned, and seem incapable of sharing the trail. Because they are bigger and tougher than other riders.

"Grow up"? See, that smacks of intolerance in my book.

It's getting really tiring reading your obtuse comments onetrackmind. I think you are being intolerant yourself. Firstly, since you live in Gauteng, I really don't see how this bears any relevance to you, but fair enough, people should be allowed to voice their opinions. If however you rode Tokai 3 times a week, I'd look at your comments with a bit more meaning. My mates and I have far more chance of being injured by some intolerant chop's selfishness than you do.

NOBODY here said the DH runs are for downhill riders only. We all share them. I've got a bunch of bikes, and my mates do too. Some days we end up at Tokai on a 5" trail bikes and run laps on the singletracks for cardio. Some days I'm there with a fullface and DH rig, some days I'm there trail running. I've seen guys in lycra on hardtails enjoying the downhills too. Nobody has said they are not allowed to use the runs. I dig it. Everyone gets their bit of stoke riding down those trails on their own weapon of choice. It just makes sense that if you want to ride the downhills quickly, you'd likely want a beefed up rig, and some body armour.

What has been discussed here, and agreed on, is that it's very dangerous having a bi-directional DH run. The reasons for this should seem obvious. We are merely being pragmatic. You on the other hand, choose to stir. Why, I have no idea? There are heaps of great bi-directional singletracks all over Tokai. I ride them a lot, and I'm the first person to move off the track when it's my time.

Just so you know what a **** my mates and I are, we actually step off all of trails when someone is descending too, regardless of it being DH or not. For me, it makes sense that because I'm going up (as some cool guy above mentioned) we live for the downhill bits. That might just be me, and I'm fine with that.

It does not make any sense for there to be any doubt about the rules of a DH run. I've ridden a lot of bike parks all over, and it's standard. A DH run is ONE WAY. How would you feel if some kid wraps his face around a tree coming downhill because he had to swerve to avoid you or some other intolerant fool who feels its their right to do whatever they like? I bet you'll be a big man explaining to his father how much of a hero you are.

Personally, I've had enough now. Saturday we'll all be there, tools in the boot, lets all chat this through, work to make some tangible solutions and come to a final conclusion. Lets dig the holes for the "No Entry" signs as well, and get that rolling.

Thanks for the comments everyone who's been mature enough to reason.

You oaks better be off that trail by 3pm on sat and the track better be fixed good, cause im coming down the runs at full tilt and if your spades and shovels throw me off my stride ill be the moer in!!!

You oaks better be off that trail by 3pm on sat and the track better be fixed good, cause im coming down the runs at full tilt and if your spades and shovels throw me off my stride ill be the moer in!!!

You might be forked.... :o

Guest Omega Man

@ grb285. Haven't you noticed? onetrackmind's tactic is to observe. Select and quote one comment completely out of context and then state his counter argument and treat it as empirical evidence.

Don't get sucked in to his washing machine. He's not arguing to communicate a point. He's arguing for a reaction. It's like a dog that urinates on the couch. the smack on the nose is attention and therefore good.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

You gonna have to go kaak fast and huck the holes we gonna dig brah. Haha.

I've got ripsaw, hoe (not the skirted kind, so relax Duane) and spade..

Anything else required?

I've got ripsaw, hoe (not the skirted kind, so relax Duane) and spade..

Anything else required?

Is that like a backhoe?

Hey :o Dont mess the tracks up on Sat Ill be riding hopefully :rolleyes: . My one time a month. :angry: Will stop and say hi if u there. :thumbup:

I will be on a Green Reign :)

The berm should be a one way only. never mind a DH coming down there at full tilt. If im coming down and there is a person coming up no ways will i be able to stop or get out of the way and I am not the fastest person.

Sorry but some of the trails should be 1 way only.