Action Photo - Rip Off???

Cycling Addict

Does anyone else get the feeling that Action Photo are ripping us off ?

They want R47.70 for a digital pic - bought the pics from the German crowd at Epic and thought that was alot until checking that for R600 you got over 100 brilliant pics - so R6.00 vs R47.00 and you cannot even compare the quality :thumbdown:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So show the costing comparisons and pics from the "German crowd" ?

Can't see how it's possible to provide a digital capture for less than R50 unless the cost has been subsidised somewhere along the line.

Given that receiving a digital image is also the best format, allows one to do however many prints and creations they like. As opposed to paying more for a print.

Sportograf (the German crowd) have mastered the use of remote technology to take brilliant photos (motion sensors activating a shot) which means that 1 photographer can handle up to 4 cameras at the same time. They also include many general shots that gets sent to every one. Often these are nicer to look at than your own mug, as they capture the event. They manage to get 5 to 10 very good (perhaps artistic) shots of each rider per day. This is another reason why every Epic rider feels like pro's and are willing to pay the Epic premium.

On Sani2C adventure we had Kelvin Trautman. His pics are great, but he can't be everywhere at the same time. Imagine his pics with 4 other photographers of his skill, each using up to 4 cameras. That's wht Sportograf offers.

To confuse us at S2C, they had Action Photo, Actionography and Trautman. You now have to purchase from 3 sources in stead of 1. Action pics and actionography offers the typical fun rider shot that is over exposed and often taken from the front. If you've bought one, you've bought them all. I would gladly pay R600 for a great series of photographs. Throw in the edited footage shown to us at night and it becomes a real value proposition.

I dont get it .... how can action photo be ripping everyone off ?

You dont have to buy the photo's. Easy, then there is no rip off.

The ripoff is that specially on road races they are the only ones taking fotos. So either pay that price or don't get any fotos. Take for instance the bigger races like Argus. 20 000 fotos at 46.50 and they make R 900 000. Normally price should come down when there is higher volumes. And that price for digital fotos. So no other cost than the equipment and admin involved. And how are they operating with the photographers anyway? Surely they not all permanent employees. Say they have 40 photographers at the Argus paying each R 5000 for the day, if it is that much. Then selling one foto foreach entry on average.( some people normally buy more than one foto.) so the salary for the photographers are R 200 000 giving them stil the small profit of R 700 000. And then they still can't take decent fotos. When I ride tandem with my daughter they always take fotos from the front where you can barely see it is a Tandem never mind the second person on the back.

So yes it is a ripoff. Those fotos should not be more than R 25 each.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I don't mind paying for good quality pics with artistic value. Action Photo however seem to take "bulk" photos - put a tape across the road and then zap zap zap zap as the riders pass the tape. All you need is a camera and cards with really fast write speed to keep up with the cash register. Oakpics have taken some brilliant photos for me over the past few years, where the essence of the day is captured so much better. They place themselves at points on the route where they will get the best photos, and consider the background, speed you are riding at that point etc. They produce photos I really want to buy, not just a keepsake to show I was there.

Can't see how it's possible to provide a digital capture for less than R50 unless the cost has been subsidised somewhere along the line.

You're kidding, right? You don't have to print, just take it and upload it. Its nothing special, its just a normal unedited photo. R50 is steep.

if you think thats a ripoff... try finisherpix at Ironman for R160 per digital pic

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

If you don't like it, don't buy it ........... simple.

Anything less than R50 for a photo is a BARGAIN.As a professional photographer I would probably charge more....

If it's too rich for your blood, don't buy any...

Edited by divernick

i have stopped buying the photo's as i thought they were out-pricing themselves.

R50 must be a standard sort of price, Africapixs.com (photos for the Monster) charge R50.

They take very good photos, then they need to tag each photo eg with the Argus, Sani, upload them etc. I will pay it with a smile.