Toughest climbs in Cape Town?

grant10

The gradient is not too bad from the sea side. Actually the best part of red hill is going down it at speed - awesome descent. If you want gradient and rough terrain head for the military climb 200m up the road - feeds on to red hill at the top.

Haha that is steep but just be careful as the road quality isn't great.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gydo pass near Ceres is epic.

thumbup1.gif Rode it yesterday, started from Tulbagh up Michells Pass and then out of Ceres and up Gydo Pass.

post-3168-0-08575100-1324285411.jpg

post-3168-0-98434400-1324285428.jpg

At the top you can turn left to go to Witzenberg Valley - the road continues upwards for about 1-2k's and then there is a steep descent into the huge and virtually deserted Witzenberg Valley which is hidden between the mountains.

thumbup1.gif Rode it yesterday, started from Tulbagh up Michells Pass and then out of Ceres and up Gydo Pass.

post-3168-0-08575100-1324285411.jpg

post-3168-0-98434400-1324285428.jpg

At the top you can turn left to go to Witzenberg Valley - the road continues upwards for about 1-2k's and then there is a steep descent into the huge and virtually deserted Witzenberg Valley which is hidden between the mountains.

My training ride on Saturday was up Gydo over Witzenberg to the end of the road (where the epic went over into Tulbagh) and back to my farm (3km from Eselfontein) was about 75 km with almost 1000 m of ascent. Once you turn left into the Witzenberg Valley very little traffic. That climb back out the valley is about 9 to 11 percent gradient then its all down hill back to Ceres.

You will agree with me Lucky Luke when you go over that climb that valley is a great site. That pic also looks like its been taken from the look out point on top of Gydo looking down into the Ceres Valley awesome.

Going to do a 65 km ride tonight just over the Witzenberg climb. Mabe take my camera for some more pics.

Edited by Ceres

My training ride on Saturday was up Gydo over Witzenberg to the end of the road (where the epic went over into Tulbagh) and back to my farm (3km from Eselfontein) was about 75 km with almost 1000 m of ascent. Once you turn left into the Witzenberg Valley very little traffic. That climb back out the valley is about 9 to 11 percent gradient then its all down hill back to Ceres.

You will agree with me Lucky Luke when you go over that climb that valley is a great site. That pic also looks like its been taken from the look out point on top of Gydo looking down into the Ceres Valley awesome.

Going to do a 65 km ride tonight just over the Witzenberg climb. Mabe take my camera for some more pics.

and if you stop and look, you might find some fossils at the top of gydo :)

Did a LSD on Saturday from Milnerton via Llandudno, Noordhoek over Black Hill to Simonstown, then Red Hill, Slangkop and back over Chappies, Suikerbossie and final climb over the Glen (Roundhouse Rd) back to Millies.

This I took going up Red Hill. Was such an epic day I just had to take the pic! Wind was a weird direction and seemed to stay headwind whichever switchback I was on!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/Tubehunter/Cycling/IMG-20111217-00600.jpg

Edited by Tubehunter

Wind was a weird direction and seemed to stay headwind whichever switchback I was on!

Ride slower.:lol:

Genuine?

Must go and look

when next you are down, drop me a pm, will give you the directions. Its very easy.

Ride slower.:lol:

hahahaha, I wish! Climb like I'm driving Miss Daisy... Putting in a proper climbing effort this year!

when next you are down, drop me a pm, will give you the directions. Its very easy.

I will def take you up on that SB :thumbup: Sea fossils I would imagine?

I just did a ride with as much climbing as I could find while still staying on "safer" roads.

Started at Lions head parking lot, up to signal hill, down the glen, up the glen, down kloof nek (camps bay side) onto suikerbossie and chappies, up Ou Kaapse then back down and all the way back except for the glen because i wasn't feeling too great, just rolled down through greenpoint and up through Bree Street.

Was 92km with 1450m ascent

Nice ride.