Neil's Wheels did it again !!!

Mad Dog

How do you nearly fall of your chair - you are either on it or off it. Like a 1 or a 0.

I did add the qualify "I know its hard ...."

Like this guy, I think it is a 1, not a zero

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy probably buys and sell hundreds of bikes and we can account for three being stolen (and all were returned, i assume), sounds like some hubbers are on a witch hunt.

If you think about it, had Neil's wheels not been around those "recovered" bikes would not have been recovered.

Lastly, There are too many infants making speculative comments on this thread. I have not seen one bit of evidence that suggests Neil is buying bikes he knows to be stolen or that he is inserting false entries into his 2nd hand register.

Somebody has to play devil's advocate

Your avatar also makes sense

Your avatar also makes sense

:lol:

I thought about giving the same chirp earlier today, but hopefully it was all tongue in cheek.

Lastly, There are too many infants making speculative comments on this thread. I have not seen one bit of evidence that suggests Neil is buying bikes he knows to be stolen or that he is inserting false entries into his 2nd hand register.

:wacko: Stolen bikes are not labeled as “stolen”, I think any honest person can smell if the seller is a RAT. It’s only a RAT that won’t smell another RAT.

If a bergie walks with Italian shoes, does this make him a model?

PS; Can anyone in CT please go around and look for my Trek EX7….

Edited by Mad Dog

Why doesnt this Neil guy just respond? He is making it look bad by only visiting the "stolen bikes" section of the forum and not responding....

:wacko: Stolen bikes are not labeled as “stolen”, I think any honest person can smell if the seller is a RAT. It’s only a RAT that won’t smell another RAT.

If a bergie walks with Italian shoes, does this make him a model?

PS; Can anyone in CT please go around and look for my Trek EX7….

My Herdules school bike with four speed Simplex derailleur was stolen in 1967. It is red with chrome drop handles and a well worn Brooks Saddle. It also had a dynamo driven headlight. Please check as well. I really luved that bike!

Why doesnt this Neil guy just respond? He is making it look bad by only visiting the "stolen bikes" section of the forum and not responding....

We do sell used bikes

We are required by law, to keep a Register of 2nd hand goods, which is monitorerd by the nearest police station on a regular basis.

I have stopped buying used bikes, since this incident of the stolen Marathon.

We are on a campaign to build a range of New bikes, particularly in the lower to middle end, to enable us to be able to supply bikes in the cheaper area of the market. There is a sign in our window that says that we buy good quality used bikes, but that will be removed today. But we do offer trade-ins, for people wanting to upgrade their bikes, so we will still carry used bikes from this source. Also, from now on, we will only accept used bikes on a consignment basis, so I think that anyone wanting to fence a stolen bike will not leave it with us if they have to wait until it is sold to get their money.

It is not my intention to be involved with stolen property, as I hate the anguish that I now have, with being on the wrong side of the law, and also at being the target (I admit, correctly so) of the many bad comments on The Hub

Please know that with a number of bikes that have come in since our start, some of which are not that easily saleable because of shabby condition, ( not for any other reason), have been restored and donated. They have been fully serviced, and had parts replaced where necessary. So far, we have donated 34 bikes to the Hope Foundation charity, for people and children affected by HIV/aids, 14 in April and 20 in June. Although this does not help with the stolen bike problem, I hope that it shows that we are not only driven by greed to take in as much money as we can, no matter what.

I will from now on, if the forum wants, list every bike that comes in either by way of trade-in, or on consignment, starting with yesterday, where a kiddies blue Avalanche Max plus a Raleigh Ride-on, came in as a deposit on a kiddies bike which is being serviced for sale. If anyone thinks that these are stolen property, please contact us, and the correct action will be taken.

I am appealing for help, to enable us to reach a point where the negative view of our shop can change in the future, to one of confidence.

I have been accused of not replying, but on Wednesday and Thursday at the shop, when pressing the reply button after typing my reply, the whole thing disappeared off my screen, as the internet had gone off line. This is being sent from my home computer.

Any comments, especially ones of help, but even negative, will be greatly appreciated

If anyone wants my phone number, PM me

Neil

I will from now on, if the forum wants, list every bike that comes in either by way of trade-in, or on consignment,

Very good idea.

We do sell used bikes

We are required by law, to keep a Register of 2nd hand goods, which is monitorerd by the nearest police station on a regular basis.

We are on a campaign to build a range of New bikes, particularly in the lower to middle end, to enable us to be able to supply bikes in the cheaper area of the market. There is a sign in our window that says that we buy good quality used bikes, but that will be removed today. But we do offer trade-ins, for people wanting to upgrade their bikes, so we will still carry used bikes from this source. Also, from now on, we will only accept used bikes on a consignment basis, so I think that anyone wanting to fence a stolen bike will not leave it with us if they have to wait until it is sold to get their money.

It is not my intention to be involved with stolen property, as I hate the anguish that I now have, with being on the wrong side of the law, and also at being the target (I admit, correctly so) of the many bad comments on The Hub

Please know that with a number of bikes that have come in since our start, some of which are not that easily saleable because of shabby condition, ( not for any other reason), have been restored and donated. They have been fully serviced, and had parts replaced where necessary. So far, we have donated 34 bikes to the Hope Foundation charity, for people and children affected by HIV/aids, 14 in April and 20 in June. Although this does not help with the stolen bike problem, I hope that it shows that we are not only driven by greed to take in as much money as we can, no matter what.

I will from now on, if the forum wants, list every bike that comes in either by way of trade-in, or on consignment, starting with yesterday, where a kiddies blue Avalanche Max plus a Raleigh Ride-on, came in as a deposit on a kiddies bike which is being serviced for sale. If anyone thinks that these are stolen property, please contact us, and the correct action will be taken.

I am appealing for help, to enable us to reach a point where the negative view of our shop can change in the future, to one of confidence.

I have been accused of not replying, but on Wednesday and Thursday at the shop, when pressing the reply button after typing my reply, the whole thing disappeared off my screen, as the internet had gone off line. This is being sent from my home computer.

Any comments, especially ones of help, but even negative, will be greatly appreciated

Neil

All I have to ask is why are the stolen bikes ending up at your shop?

We do sell used bikes

Neil

Well Neil.

That does appear to be a step in the right direction. :huh:

It doesn't quite explain why relatively high end to high end bikes were bought off persons, who obviously were not the rightful owners, in the first place?? When as you say.."We are required by law, to keep a Register of 2nd hand goods, which is monitorerd by the nearest police station on a regular basis."

How was identification and ownership verified, and how often if ever was this checked by the SAP?

It is going to be a long road for you sir. To regain respect and trust, once it is lost, is a bleak and endless road.

I am quite sure that you are not the only individual in the 2nd hand bike business who has, wittingly or unwittingly, handled stolen goods. It is how they are handled that is the telling factor. To date, not well on your part. If you have staff who are dodgy in any way, my suggestion would be to start there, clear them out.

The next will be to discourage the rough elements who have bought these bikes in, and now recognize your establishment as a viable fence for these goods.

Long road fella. Long road....

All I have to ask is why are the stolen bikes ending up at your shop?

Also why do all of them have mismatched groupsets?

And like the GT that was recovered recently, why replace the XTR wheelset with other wheels?

Neil, there are two sides to the fence here. On both sides there are some vicious dogs. Both will bite you if you are on the wrong side. But only one has the abillity to become your friend from here on.

It is time to pick a side boet!

Let me say this if I was an owner of a bike shop and the cops had to come into my shop just once because I had a stolen bike I would cr*p my pants and make sure it never happens again. Secondly after all the alegations first time it happened on the hub surely you should start covering your ass. How to do this you ask?????

1. Don't pay for the bike straight away when the person brings it in.

2. Tell him you want to check if its stolen (if it is, he will probably leave or cr*p his pants)

3. Put a pic on the hub ask everyone if they think its stolen (the hub has a huge network surely somebody would know someone who knows someone about the bike).

4. Ask him where he bought the bike if its a top end bike surely he bought at a bike shop mabe? (phone the bike shop)

It seems with all the problems you had with stolen bikes you didnt do much to cover your ass. Or am I wrong?

We do sell used bikes

Neil

thanks for the reply...it was needed!

Stopping selling used bikes is maybe a bit drastic, but it's unfortunate that it might be your best option.

I would think keeping high-end bikes on consignment is the way to go, as any 'hot' bike could be recovered and there is a reduced incentive for the 'seller/thief'.

Having a look through this 'stolen bikes' section before taking on a bike might be a good idea too.

I still think there is a huge demand for a decent 2nd hand bike store, good bikes sitting idly in garages are wasted!

Maybe you could tell us some of the good stories, surely you have uncovered a few thieves - any arrests?

At the end of the day, we're all united by a hatred of bike theft. It would appear your store has become a conduit for the trade, so much so that you've suspended taking on any used bike. If you were able to recover stolen bikes and uncover the source of the theft, then you'd have the whole hub on your side.

....on that note, i'm looking for a large 2007 spesh rockhopper, black like a starless night. stolen january 2008. lemme know!