A diferrent kind of 'snake bite'

jusbob

I once phoned the snake catcher cos I saw a huge mamba in my garage as I was moving a cement bag. Thick as my arm. Closed the door and bolted across the road. Dude said just watch the door and wait for him. About an hour later this lighty pulled in with his girlfriend, armed with big catching stick. I opened the garage from across the road and he went in. Fanned around for a while inside and then calls his chick, she walks out with a 10 cm long house snake around her hand and a big smile. They thought it was too funny to take my money, dude said I need to be a bit braver though. My neighbors still wind me up about it. :)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I once phoned the snake catcher cos I saw a huge mamba in my garage as I was moving a cement bag. Thick as my arm. Closed the door and bolted across the road. Dude said just watch the door and wait for him. About an hour later this lighty pulled in with his girlfriend, armed with big catching stick. I opened the garage from across the road and he went in. Fanned around for a while inside and then calls his chick, she walks out with a 10 cm long house snake around her hand and a big smile. They thought it was too funny to take my money, dude said I need to be a bit braver though. My neighbors still wind me up about it. :)

clap.gifclap.gif Rather save than sorry. I've seen what a spitting cobra does to a brave oke's eyes...........I've heard it described as a big raw hamburger with all the sauces you can think of - and believe me, that's not very far from the truth, so nowadays I am very carefull!! I'd rather look like a fool before I'm bitten/spit in the eye by a poisonous snake!

When I was an Environmental officer, I had a Puffie in my Land Cruiser,kept it as a training aid and an anti theft deterrent.

Would walk around give environmental talks with "Andries" in my hand. No one slept in my class. Fed him a regularly diet of rats caught on the training area.

When I was an Environmental officer, I had a Puffie in my Land Cruiser,kept it as a training aid and an anti theft deterrent.

Would walk around give environmental talks with "Andries" in my hand. No one slept in my class. Fed him a regularly diet of rats caught on the training area.

So guys how do we remedy the sname situation, cause I believe when on lekke techincal single track - eyes on the road. And not looking for SSSSSSSSSSSSS Snakes

Edited by DamMTBer

Hey guyz!

As we all know, South Africa is a great country, will all kinds of creatures! The ones I fear most are snakes!!! Whilst digging trails I am constantly aware of them, but luckily I am yet to come across one! This leads me to this post:

Please share some of your encounters and stories with these venomous buggers on the trails??

Also, my girlfriend and I were debating how jacked up South African hospitals are to deal with snake bites, ie. Anti Venom, could anoyone in the know shed some light on this??

Hey jusbob!

Personally I am far more concerned about the 2 legged variety. Reason being is that they are unpredictable, whereas all of the wiggling variety are completely predictable.

Whilst there is little you can do about the former, the latter is very easy to educate yourself on.

Start with A Complete Guide to the Snakes of South Africa - Johan Marais, and then move on to a snake park in your area and let them tell you all about the "venomous buggers". :thumbup:

Educate yourself. It could save your life if bitten. Whilst most hospitals are capable of treating victims, antivenom administration is difficult if you can not give a positive identification of the species.

None of the wiggling variety actively hunt humans, so react accordingly and they won't harm you, and you won't need to harm them.

As to the other variety - a shotgun is best, aim low.

Remember: You only fear what you do not understand.

Hey jusbob!

Personally I am far more concerned about the 2 legged variety. Reason being is that they are unpredictable, whereas all of the wiggling variety are completely predictable.

Whilst there is little you can do about the former, the latter is very easy to educate yourself on.

Start with A Complete Guide to the Snakes of South Africa - Johan Marais, and then move on to a snake park in your area and let them tell you all about the "venomous buggers". :thumbup:

Educate yourself. It could save your life if bitten. Whilst most hospitals are capable of treating victims, antivenom administration is difficult if you can not give a positive identification of the species.

None of the wiggling variety actively hunt humans, so react accordingly and they won't harm you, and you won't need to harm them.

True,

Hey jusbob!

Not sure about that. I reckon they are all like horses, only purpose is to terrify and bite people.

Hey Benjamin

Horses is a whole diffr'nt subject china. And I agree 100%.

But then a horse has a large brain, some think capable of outsmarting a cat.

I certainly am not terrified of them, but they do bite nasty. Had to bite one back once. I still have a chipped front tooth. :D

They are also of far more concern to me on the trail than any snake. You ever tried to bunnyhop a horse ?!

So yes, you can add to that I suppose.

We only fear things that can outsmart us ? :unsure:

Hey jusbob!

You have not met a Mamba in the veld yet have you, most aggressive snake out, will chase you if you come into his territory.

Nice to see this thread growing, even if its freaking some people out! :lol: Had a run in with a puffie this saturday!! Building jumps between two fields near my house and I often take the dogs with for safety and company! On this occasion my girlfriend brought her two jack russels and I took along the german shepard! As we got there, the dogs all got out as per usual, my girlfriend followed them whilst I inspected the ramp. A few seconds later I hear screaming about a snake, quickly rushed over and called the dogs and got them back into the bakkie! My girlfriend then informed me that her two dogs had run over it, and mine had stood right on top of it, before she realised that they were stading on a snake (curled up and huge was her description) and shouted to them! Drove around to see if we could spot hima after that, but no sign of the bugger! All I can say is, thank God none of the dogs were bitten and now I am to *** scared to go build jumps :(

You have not met a Mamba in the veld yet have you, most aggressive snake out, will chase you if you come into his territory.

I'll second that

I think those Puffies are the most beautiful snakes, I definitely would have taken the dead one home for its skin. Think wallet or saddle bag.

I like the way your'e thinking!! :thumbup:

Let's not waste - the skin will make a very UNIQUE chain stay cover!! (Puffy slap sock!!)

Where can i get one...seriously?

"Worst" I've seen at Tokai was a real beauty of a boomslang. Well over a metre with a bright yellow underside. It was crossing the logging road up at Level 5.

I haven't even read the whole thread, but thanks guys. I'm going to be saving a whole lot of money by not buying a MTB.

....the skin will make a very UNIQUE chain stay cover!! ....

Brilliant idea, so obvious, why didn't I think of that myself?

post-25481-0-77089600-1314645184.jpg

Irrelavent but saw this puffy while I was fishing.In my opinion vipers are the most beautifull snakes.