A diferrent kind of 'snake bite'

jusbob

we had a run in with a rinkals (spelling?) out in megaliesburg / hartebeespoort a few weeks back - lying in the road, looking very dead - well, after stopping to check it out (must have been 1.5 m or so) it wasn't!

turns out these snakes are notorious for playing dead to evade predators! well i can tell you when that thing "came back to life" - we hightailed it out of there like the Saeco /cippolini train of old!

good thing i was wearing black cycling shorts :blink:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh flippin brilliant .... Stopped a few times at the cave to check it out.

No more methinks! <_<

thought you were a 'danger' dassie?

There was a very close call yesterday. I was on the indoor trainer watching animal planet and suddenly there it was! An Annafokkenkonda

Ran past a mozam spitting cobra in Groenkloof a while back, scared myself sh!tless ! Heard a rustle next to the path, kept running and when I looked back about a meter he was standing there hood flared and all.

If anybody else has any Groenkloof stories about deadly snakes please keep them to yourself. Otherwise have a look in the classifieds section, I will be selling my annual ticket-thing.

I hate snakes!!

Ek was nou die dag in die magalies berge deur `n kobra gejaag. Hy het letterlik op sy agterpoot agter my aan gehop. Gelukkig het ek eerste by my kar uitgekom en kon ek wegjaag. Die slang het egter `n paar duike in my deur geskop met die wat ek probeer wegkom het.

Ek was nou die dag in die magalies berge deur `n kobra gejaag. Hy het letterlik op sy agterpoot agter my aan gehop. Gelukkig het ek eerste by my kar uitgekom en kon ek wegjaag. Die slang het egter `n paar duike in my deur geskop met die wat ek probeer wegkom het.

Ha-ha

'n geval van "Ek het my nou bloediglik vir 'n slang vererg, sal skoon broek moet aantrek"

come on guys the pythons arent snakes to worry about, its the cobra's and puff adders you have to worry about, especially puffies because they dont move off when they hear you coming the just lie there till the last minute.

by us (mtubatuba/st lucia) we get a extra nice snake called a gaboon viper, one of the worst snakes to bite a person, has all three types of venom, cytotoxic, haemotoxic and neurotoxic :blink: one bite requires 20 x 10ml vials of anti-venom and at around R1000 a pop just for the anti-venom is not cool. cobra's have a tabled value of 6-8 vials.

but most hospitals should carry stock of anti-venom

post-13613-0-12317800-1314279932.jpg

post-12957-0-21980500-1314279090.jpgOn the same road last summer!post-12957-0-01176900-1314279075.jpg

Phyton, about 3 meter

At least this bugger not going to try and bite you. It's the mambas and cobras and puffers that were put on earth to frighten and kill people

come on guys the pythons arent snakes to worry about, its the cobra's and puff adders you have to worry about, especially puffies because they dont move off when they hear you coming the just lie there till the last minute.

by us (mtubatuba/st lucia) we get a extra nice snake called a gaboon viper, one of the worst snakes to bite a person, has all three types of venom, cytotoxic, haemotoxic and neurotoxic :blink: one bite requires 20 x 10ml vials of anti-venom and at around R1000 a pop just for the anti-venom is not cool. cobra's have a tabled value of 6-8 vials.

The camo on that snake is incredible.

If I saw one of those in the bush he wouldn't have to worry about biting me. Be dead already.

I wonder how many snakes have seen us riding past them without us knowing they there. Reckon plenty :o

The camo on that snake is incredible.

yip and thats what partly makes them so dangerous, you dont know its there till you've stood on it. from what i understand its a opportunistic predator, so basically lies in wait till something comes passed it can eat and then strikes, so noises dont really chase them off, and they dont move when they see you coming.

we had a lecture on snake bites today in toxicology, i'm trying to remember the facts off the top of my head here, but there are like 120 odd different species of snake here in SA of which only 14 are poisonous, but these include snakes that only have enough venom to kill small animals like gecko's and insects.

but still am personally not a fan of snakes