A diferrent kind of 'snake bite'

jusbob

Once in Tokai a cape cobra struck at my back wheel... hands down the scariest day of my life! Cavendish would have come 2nd that day :thumbup: Aaaand about a month later I met another which flared right up about 1m away! Its good to get the heart beating sometimes ;)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cycling with a mate down tikkie draai we came across a cape cobra in the road. We tried getting the bastard to move by spraying it with our water bottles which pissed it off but got the job done till a car drove over it as it was about to sliver into the grass. Oh well, we tried.

Ran past a mozam spitting cobra in Groenkloof a while back, scared myself sh!tless ! Heard a rustle next to the path, kept running and when I looked back about a meter he was standing there hood flared and all.

I should not have read this! lucky I have not seem any snakes at Groenkloof but believe there is a + 4m rock python who shows up every couple of monthsssss

YEah always a bit weary of the python when running past the bat cave where all the dassies are

Oh flippin brilliant .... Stopped a few times at the cave to check it out.

No more methinks! <_<

Had to leave the wide shoulder up Polka Draai near STELLENBOSCH after a humongous Cape Cobra was snoozing on the warm tarmac.

It sprang to life, uncurled without effort and, in a flash, disappeared in the roadside brush.

:blink:

At the end of a nice ride in Jonkershoek I was heading out on the gravel road next to the dam, dreaming, when I noticed a darkish tube across the gravel road...kept on riding towars it until I noticed that the "tube" was moving. Braked hard, stones flew, heart pounding, the Cape Cobra did its thing it does when it is pissed off and eventually buggered off. I made a vow of only finishing a ride properly in the head when at home and paying attention all the way.

It seems from all the posts that nobody came close to being bitten. Mostly the snakes just wants to get away from us.

Personally I am more concerned about the "snakes" with big sticks, guns or knifes hiding in the bushes :thumbdown:

Seen two puffaders in the last 8 days, first (second photo) one while trail running on Blackburn traverse above Chapmans Peak Drive, this one was the biggest/ longest I have ever seen and the second yesterday on start of Wapad from Silvermine (first photo). Seems to be a bit of early activity this year. Two in just over a week at close quarters has been very fortunate.

post-1509-0-72946800-1313919401.jpg

post-1509-0-32904400-1313919441.jpg

I still remember reading this and thinking I'll never ride there again. :P Luckily, I haven't run into this fellow yet - bibshorts still in tact...

post-7796-0-01000300-1313989874.jpg

EDIT: This is the python that was released at Groenkloof.

Edited by Squier

I've had several encounters with Cape Cobras and Mole Snakes at Koeberg. On one occasion the cobra hissed and raised its hood as I cycled about 30cm from it (at the hill section along the beach going round the dam). I'm really scared of snakes and I get a heart attack each time no matter what type of snake it is. Early spring seems to be the most likely time for an encounter, as its not too warm and they appear to hang out on the warmer gravel roads.

Looking at tubed's post above, I might just wait for summer proper before trying Silvermine again. I've heard that the whole area from Silvermine down to Clovelly is a puffie nest.

Seen two puffaders in the last 8 days, first (second photo) one while trail running on Blackburn traverse above Chapmans Peak Drive, this one was the biggest/ longest I have ever seen and the second yesterday on start of Wapad from Silvermine (first photo). Seems to be a bit of early activity this year. Two in just over a week at close quarters has been very fortunate.

Dis 'n M0$rse poffff-adddeer

I still remember reading this and thinking I'll never ride there again. :P Luckily, I haven't run into this fellow yet - bibshorts still in tact...

You admit to wearing bibshorts on your mtb? The mtb police on this forum are gonna have a ****.