A diferrent kind of 'snake bite'

jusbob

come on guys the pythons arent snakes to worry about, its the cobra's and puff adders you have to worry about, especially puffies because they dont move off when they hear you coming the just lie there till the last minute.

by us (mtubatuba/st lucia) we get a extra nice snake called a gaboon viper, one of the worst snakes to bite a person, has all three types of venom, cytotoxic, haemotoxic and neurotoxic :blink: one bite requires 20 x 10ml vials of anti-venom and at around R1000 a pop just for the anti-venom is not cool. cobra's have a tabled value of 6-8 vials.

but most hospitals should carry stock of anti-venom

Beautiful snake, WO1 Piet Nortje, was breeding them in captivity at 121 Bn in Matubatuba. Those snakes are highly sought after by witchdocters as they are believed to have "special" powers.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I saw one of those in the bush he wouldn't have to worry about biting me. Be dead already.

yip by the time one gets to hospital they'd probably announce you D.O.A (dead on arrival)

although the anti-venom is very quick acting, if the doctor knows what he is doing and gives it to you as soon as you com in.

one must also remember that 50% of venomous snake bites are dry bites, where no venom is injected

Beautiful snake, WO1 Piet Nortje, was breeding them in captivity at 121 Bn in Matubatuba. Those snakes are highly sought after by witchdocters as they are believed to have "special" powers.

i've actually seen the snake pits they have there at 121, i mean some of those pits have like 10 plus snakes in, and if you didn't know you wouldnt see them at all

Thanks for all these posts. The only snake i have ever seen here in midrand was a brown house snake. Now thanks to all of you i think i will be focusing more on road riding than MTB.

yip and thats what partly makes them so dangerous, you dont know its there till you've stood on it. from what i understand its a opportunistic predator, so basically lies in wait till something comes passed it can eat and then strikes, so noises dont really chase them off, and they dont move when they see you coming.

we had a lecture on snake bites today in toxicology, i'm trying to remember the facts off the top of my head here, but there are like 120 odd different species of snake here in SA of which only 14 are poisonous, but these include snakes that only have enough venom to kill small animals like gecko's and insects.

but still am personally not a fan of snakes

Another good reason why i am never infront in any race!!!!!

yip by the time one gets to hospital they'd probably announce you D.O.A (dead on arrival)

although the anti-venom is very quick acting, if the doctor knows what he is doing and gives it to you as soon as you com in.

one must also remember that 50% of venomous snake bites are dry bites, where no venom is injected

Yebo, from cardiac arrest induced by first sight of the beast. No bite needed

Thanks for all these posts. The only snake i have ever seen here in midrand was a brown house snake. Now thanks to all of you i think i will be focusing more on road riding than MTB.

no dont get you nickers in a knot lol, snakes arent really something you have to worry about, they dont really like busy area's like MTB trails that are regularly used, plus the chance of getting bitten is probably allot less then getting taken out by a taxi on your road bike

Another good reason why i am never infront in any race!!!!!

yip dont worry me too ;)

Yebo, from cardiac arrest induced by first sight of the beast. No bite needed

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

jis guys. Why are we having this conversation? I was working myself into excitement for a Groenkloof ride this weekend, and now, I think, another spinning session would be more preferable. *sidder* I DESPISE snakes. nee man. sies. :)

jis guys. Why are we having this conversation? I was working myself into excitement for a Groenkloof ride this weekend, and now, I think, another spinning session would be more preferable. *sidder* I DESPISE snakes. nee man. sies. :)

Watch out for all the viruses being spluttered around the enclosed , humid spinning studio. Going to bite you those things. Safer to ride outside.

Brad you studying medicine?

post-12957-0-21980500-1314279090.jpgOn the same road last summer!post-12957-0-01176900-1314279075.jpg

Phyton, about 3 meter

It's a red-tail boa constrictor... Beauty of a snake :)

one unknown snake at hillcrest(WC) as you go over to contermanskloof and one in koeberg nature reserve.do not know what type as i am **** scared of snakes including the "tuinslang" when i have to wash the bike.i must be related to snakes as i also believe in flight rather than fight when it comes to snakes and all other animals who has got more or bigger teeth than i have.

I rode over this poor little fikker earlier this year. He did not survive a Conti Mountain King and my fat ass.

post-16512-0-69220300-1314282442.jpg

Edited by THE BLOODY AGENT

Brad you studying medicine?

well i'm studying veterinary.

i decided to do something a little more challenging where my patients wont tell me whats wrong with them, and also so i can be asked for the rest of my life why i didnt become a real doctor :huh: