Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Strava can be a great motivator for those days you don't feel like doing it, then you remember that segment you're trying to own and suddenly the motivation is strong again.

I love using Strava. I happened to meet a Saffa two weeks ago along the route and could use the flyby to connect to him without having to stop and hand out contact details.

On days like yesterday where I just felt like a relaxing ride, I scout new routes and analyse afterwards on Strava and then when I feel like hunting those PR then I know where to go.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't cycle with glasses in the rain, even if it is raining bullets. 

I nearly put myself out yesterday commuting home, when I sped towards a metal barrier I couldn't see.

I love disc brakes!  

Edited by J∆kk∆ls

I bought one a few years ago at the 94.7 expo. Have not seen them anywhere else yet. I will soon be buying a dedicated cycling backpack here soon then that comes standard with it.

is there a name or brand on yours?

I bought one a few years ago at the 94.7 expo.  Have not seen them anywhere else yet.  I will soon be buying a dedicated cycling backpack here soon then that comes standard with it.

Finding the best backpack for commuting is a thread on its own.

I trialed products from Salamon, Beurer and Kway, and in the end the KWAY Kilimanjaro 28l stuck. It really is the best value for money at R1100

My spec was:

- at least 28 ideally 30l of packing space

- built in rain cover (to your point)

- laptop compartment (the kway and others generally have a pouch designed for a hydration bladder which works perfectly)

- some sort of way to allow air past my back for sweat (designs differ vastly from metal frames to padding etc, the kway nails it)

- a padded belt (mine has pockets for easy access items like pepper spray)

- compression belts for tightening the bag up when it's not loaded

Some may find that a 20l bag will be better, I pack a full shower kit and change of clothes (incl shoes) and laptop and find that 28-30 liters of space ideal. Some bag makers also implement funny pockets that aren't really usable to achieve that space, so do suggest a packing run before ripping the tags off. I also recommend avoiding the top loader bags which make accessing the stuff at the bottom a mission.

I trialed products from Salamon, Beurer and Kway, and in the end the KWAY Kilimanjaro 28l stuck. It really is the best value for money at R1100

My spec was:

- laptop compartment (the kway and others generally have a pouch designed for a hydration bladder which works perfectly)

- some sort of way to allow air past my back for sweat (designs differ vastly from metal frames to padding etc, the kway nails it)

Some may find that a 20l bag will be better, I pack a full shower kit and change of clothes (incl shoes) and laptop and find that 28-30 liters of space ideal. Some bag makers also implement funny pockets that aren't really usable to achieve that space, so do suggest a packing run before ripping the tags off. I also recommend avoiding the top loader bags which make accessing the stuff at the bottom a mission.

You have basically summed up my requirements there.  The only thing I would like to steer clear of is metal frames if possible.

I agree w.r.t volume.  I also prefer minimum 28l.  On the odd occation I also need to pack the laptop in and then you need the space.  Also being in Europe is almost like Cape Town, you need to prepare for radical temperature changes so you might cycle in to work with two vests but the afternoon ride might be warm and you need to put the unused vests and arm warmers somewhere.

My spec was:

My DaKine AMP 30l works brilliantly in this regard. Just commuted in this morning with all my goedes. Laptop, client folders, note book and full change of clothes incl shoes. No issues whatsoever, and that was with 2l of water in the 3l bladder. Still ahd space for my light battery (cord running from my lid into the backpack) wallet phone etc etc etc. 

If you're commuting and don't have a stash of clothes at the office, I don't know how you'd be able to do with less space than that without stuffing the thing stukkend.

Oh. It was BLOODY cold this morning. But I did it... Was fantastic. 

My DaKine AMP 30l works brilliantly in this regard. Just commuted in this morning with all my goedes. Laptop, client folders, note book and full change of clothes incl shoes. No issues whatsoever, and that was with 2l of water in the 3l bladder. Still ahd space for my light battery (cord running from my lid into the backpack) wallet phone etc etc etc. 

If you're commuting and don't have a stash of clothes at the office, I don't know how you'd be able to do with less space than that without stuffing the thing stukkend.

Oh. It was BLOODY cold this morning. But I did it... Was fantastic. 

That's a lot of stuff!

Well done!

And yes it was very cold this morning: 4°C at Flamingo Vlei at 0540.

If anyone finds a nose on the cycle path from Blouberg to CT it's mine.

• 2 weeks later...

duct tape (Better yet, gorrilla tape) is priceless for when your tyre gets sliced by glass on the way to work .... and it will get sliced at some stage!

plak it on the inside of the tyre, inflate new tube, as your other "new" tube is now very nearly severed all the way around and is only good for tying things up in the garage now.

post-5403-0-72557200-1469108283_thumb.jpg

duct tape (Better yet, gorrilla tape) is priceless for when your tyre gets sliced by glass on the way to work .... and it will get sliced at some stage!

plak it on the inside of the tyre, inflate new tube, as your other "new" tube is now very nearly severed all the way around and is only good for tying things up in the garage now.

I usually fit a R200 note on the inside of the tyre ;)

Thanks to smokers there is normally always an empty cigarette box littered around which can also be used to put on the inside of the tyre.  For those of us who are too "armgat" for the R200 note solution ;)

I usually fit a R200 note on the inside of the tyre ;)

Thanks to smokers there is normally always an empty cigarette box littered around which can also be used to put on the inside of the tyre.  For those of us who are too "armgat" for the R200 note solution ;)

only poor people carry cash ... I just use plastic or snapscan .... best thing is that it is not my money, but the banks being used  :ph34r:

Makes me think about this

• 2 weeks later...

only poor people carry cash ... I just use plastic or snapscan .... best thing is that it is not my money, but the banks being used  :ph34r:

aaaand-its-gone-smt2lw.jpg

http://2.images.southparkstudios.com/images/shows/south-park/clip-thumbnails/season-12/1206/south-park-s12e06c02-its-just-gone-16x9.jpg?quality=0.8