Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cars really respects me more with it on, only when it's dark though. I commute with it almost every day

Brand, price and where from?

Keep the rubber on the gravel!

Thanks hayley, I actually went the google search way myself last night and found it. [emoji15]

Keep the rubber on the gravel!

They are bringing them to SA through Brights hardware. Around R3k. 

be visible ... be VERY visible .....

I have the flashing tail light

TWO front lights, one ON, and the other flashing

High viz jacket

reflective strips around the ankles

post-110956-0-66871400-1502170989_thumb.jpg

NONE of this helps when mommy is fighting with the kids and not concentrating on the road .... NEARLY, very nearly got wiped out this morning !!

stay safe out there

High viz jacket

attachicon.gif20170808_064622.jpg

NONE of this helps when mommy is fighting with the kids and not concentrating on the road .... NEARLY, very nearly got wiped out this morning !!

stay safe out there

Have one more that might be able to help you. ...don't know if you saw me post this on another thread by now. ..

https://www.noxgear.com/tracer360

High viz jacket

attachicon.gif20170808_064622.jpg

stay safe out there

The kids probably got excited seeing the Christmas tree coming down the road... :whistling:

Cars really respects me more with it on, only when it's dark though. I commute with it almost every day

How visable are the rear lights during the day?

Each dog has one tied to it's harness - see blue on photo. But my boy needed to stop more times than we had packets.

On the promenade in Umhlanga there are poles with bag holder tube things on it and they are always full of bags for the dog walkers to use. Good initiative as long as the owners actually use it. Must say I never noticed that they weren't being used so I guess it works.

• 3 weeks later...

What a way to start the weekend .... commute to work on a Friday morning.

October last year I could not cycle up Suikerbossie (16 years of bikes and bust knees ..)

kept on doing the commute - twee-kamp style ..... cycle most of the way and walk two of the steep hills.

Today I gave it some stick .... kept the cadence up, slightly higher gear, twice my normal speed, and when the hill stepped up I got out the saddle and kicked it .... 155 to 162 bpm.  Recovered in about 90 seconds, knees are fine .....  

had to do a quick basin-bath at work ...   :whistling:   (will keep the morning commute more sedate, but the afternoon commute is getting to be FUN)

PS - best part of the commute - meeting a total stranger along the commute, and having a nice chat as the scenery rolls past us ...

Awesome ChrisF

Also met a new commuter this morning.

5 months ago he had never ridden a bike before .... now he says he goes everywhere on his bicycle, no more walking for him or taking public transport and he enjoys being on the bike!

Win Win I say!

To much commuting by bike leaves you with a flat car battery!@#

We are always here to help to keep people on their bikes for as much as possible. Get yourself one of these CTEK chargers, they work great.

https://www.animalgear.co.za/ctek-battery-charger-12v-xs-08?utm_source=Click&utm_medium=Channel&utm_campaign=Google_ZA&SFDRREF=SFDR_72428775&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoZTNBRCWARIsAOMZHmGycP8tOyPeZmdVgGg3KJJRIvIUs9k1GJp6WDrGNMs_DHBeZHPdO4IaAiJCEALw_wcB