Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Personally, that "hill" would be a problem for me. I hate the IDT and the only times I managed to use it properly was when I had a broken wrist and a broken collarbone. Otherwise the thing just frustrates me.

I find sticking the trainer in front of the tv with something entertaining on is the only way I can sit there and spin for an hour. If you sit and watch the clock tick by then 15 minutes feels like 2 hours!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I live about 10 metres from work so if I tried to commute I probably wouldn't even finish clipping in before I get there.

i am in the same boat...so what i do is ride to the beachfront and have my coffee then ride home (need to find a coffee shop at the top of the hill because that haul back to pinetown is not for sissies or fat okes) have a shower and walk to work ;)

Edited by isetech

i am in the same boat...so what i do is ride to the beachfront and have my coffee then ride home (need to find a coffee shop at the top of the hill because that haul back to pinetown is not for sissies or fat okes) have a shower and walk to work ;)

I found that when I used to ride to work and back, the way back was a bit more challenging than the way to work - was a good workout for the legs though. Wouldn't mind commuting to work and back again though.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not read the complete post, so I'm not up to date with any bikehub members commuting through JHB city center?

Any experience commuting through city center on a weekly/monthly basis?

After the carnage on the roads over the last few weeks,I have decided against riding on Nelson Mandela dr before 5am on my commute.

I have put off commuting for a couple of days, but as from tomorrow I will be taking on Hijack alley in the dark. Contemplating what self defence gadgets to take along

After the carnage on the roads over the last few weeks,I have decided against riding on Nelson Mandela dr before 5am on my commute.

I have put off commuting for a couple of days, but as from tomorrow I will be taking on Hijack alley in the dark. Contemplating what self defence gadgets to take along

I've used the cycle lane in the dark a lot, if you're early, the biggest problem is dozy pedestrians which I'm sure you're used to.

I do carry a pepper spray, but fortunately have never had cause to use it.

Edit: incorrect use of the present participle or possibly a typo.

Edited by cfcjim

Hi guys

if you have any comments, please can you also engage on @CTCycleLanes and I can try to get some response action from those concerned.

Shotto

NEVER think you know so much that you cannot make a mistake:

Rode to work this morning, work clothes neatly packed, everything in order. Until after my shower, trying to dress, I realized that I had packed one of my boys' shirts. It's the same blue and although it fits OKish around the shoulders, the sleeves are too short (no issue, I'll half roll them up), problem is that I'm now a bit more padded around the waist than his skinny arse. So, I'll have to go all day with a chest- out-gut-sucked-in attitude. I'll have to practice shallow breathing or some buttons will pop! :blush:  :D

A curve ball if ever I saw one!  

Edited by DJR

Rode to work this morning, work clothes neatly packed, everything in order. Until after my shower, trying to dress, I realized that I had packed one of my boys' shirts. It's the same blue and although it fits OKish around the shoulders, the sleeves are too short (no issue, I'll half roll them up), problem is that I'm now a bit more padded around the waist than his skinny arse. So, I'll have to go all day with a chest- out-gut-sucked-in attitude. I'll have to practice shallow breathing or some buttons will pop! :blush:  :D

Hahahahaha!

Edited by cfcjim

:clap:  :clap:

go buy another shirt fatty :P

Suck it up man.  :clap:

Reminds me of my National Service.  Those shouts from the Sergeant Majors ... "Maag in bors uit troep!!!!

"

Edited by Bateleur1