Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Well I have a box full that I use when working on the bikes.  Not a bad idea to just slip a pear into the tool "box" for the road.

a pear would be great for a post bike fix snack, just pack a spare pair of latex gloves in so that you have clean hands to eat that fruit with :P

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a pear would be great for a post bike fix snack, just pack a spare pair of latex gloves in so that you have clean hands to eat that fruit with :P

:clap:  :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Oh and another trick:

I commute home in the afternoons and then back in the mornings. This way I have a car at work, and my wife's at home if I need to go somewhere. Its also not that easy to bail out of a morning commute if you feel a bit lazy, as the wife works in Pinelands and I work in Tyger Valley

I do the same.

Commuting bike left in the office.  Go in with the car on Monday.  If I am in office by the end of day I commute home with the bike, and leave the car in the locked basement parking.  Commute back the next morning.

Every so often I drive straight home after late site meetings .... so my commute is not daily.  But I do manage a few return trips per week.

Nothing better than that feeling after a ride to start the day.

And absolutely nothing better than burning off some energy in the afternoon by really working those pedals ......

What have a learnt so far :

- make SURE your phone is properly packed away ... not fun seeing it pop out and skidding accross the tar (dankie tog ek kon omdraai voor n kar daaroor gery het)

- there ARE friendly car drivers out there ! 

- mostly faster to get home on the bike than with the car.  Okay, it is only a 4,2km ride.  :)

what I need to learn - how to deal with the winter chill ... at 5:45 ..... how do you stay warm for the first few kilos and not sweat too much for the rest of the way ?

Re-learnt this morning that people are idiots.

Woman running to get to a taxi stepped in front of me this morning and I hit her - thank goodness only some lost skin for me and, more importantly, the bike is fine.

She ran off saying "sorry" and still made her taxi...

Was late for work this morning.  Luckily I fitted my little bel two weeks ago on my MTB.  I sounded like a kiddy fire truck for the last couple of KMs to work.  Ting, ting, ting, ting, ......

Somehow I missed up my hand and it is flipping sore if I apply pressure on it ... so I have not been commuting. Needless to say that after two days of not being on the bike I have become little grumpy.....ssooooo

Out come the MTB, then slipped a pool noodle over the grip to take out the buzz from the road and opened up that low speed compression to make the front end feel like it is floating on air ..... and I could commute to work without suffering much, if any pain!

WIN

post-5403-0-14871400-1490966274_thumb.jpeg

Somehow I missed up my hand and it is flipping sore if I apply pressure on it ... so I have not been commuting. Needless to say that after two days of not being on the bike I have become little grumpy.....ssooooo

Out come the MTB, then slipped a pool noodle over the grip to take out the buzz from the road and opened up that low speed compression to make the front end feel like it is floating on air ..... and I could commute to work without suffering much, if any pain!

WIN

You better keep commuting.  I am catching up in the challenge.  :whistling:

You better keep commuting.  I am catching up in the challenge.  :whistling:

bliksem .... is this you?

thumbnail.jpg

:eek:

The joy of not living close to work and yet you can still commute. Downside is I can't commute in winter much which stuffs me around for about 4 months at least.

The joy of not living close to work and yet you can still commute. Downside is I can't commute in winter much which stuffs me around for about 4 months at least.

what is your distance one way?