Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Pretty much what I will be doing thanks.  Just took me a while to figure that one out.  Suppose we will all get there one day.  Some of us just take the scenic (aka slow) route :)  Also finally managed to organise an extra drawer/side desk for me so will be able to leave some stuff at work that normally would get carried back and forth.

......and you surely know to stuff your soggy shoes with newspaper to wick out the water? It gets them dry enough to wear in just a few hours.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

......and you surely know to stuff your soggy shoes with newspaper to wick out the water? It gets them dry enough to wear in just a few hours.

Yip.  One of my tips.  But have ventulation vents in my office where I can just put them on.

I have joined this commuting club now for a month, and what a dream.

I started the day after the new shower installation was done at work.  I'm also using the Gautrain in the mix. Using my old bike on one side and my old old bike on the other side. old-old  I mean 26" v brake Macro MTB but this is only for 3km.

One thing that I learn t is that the after a month the cars seams to slow down.

I lost 6.5KG and going strong

I have joined this commuting club now for a month, and what a dream.

I started the day after the new shower installation was done at work.  I'm also using the Gautrain in the mix. Using my old bike on one side and my old old bike on the other side. old-old  I mean 26" v brake Macro MTB but this is only for 3km.

One thing that I learn t is that the after a month the cars seams to slow down.

I lost 6.5KG and going strong

Well done!!

I have joined this commuting club now for a month...

Welcome friend,

Good luck with the winter! I'm into year three now, and my first winter klapped me so hard I called it quits till September. Last year I went all the way through winter (with some better gear) and it was well worth it!

I'll soon be moving a further 10km from work, but hoping to keep the 100% cycle commute going :)

Welcome friend,

Good luck with the winter! I'm into year three now, and my first winter klapped me so hard I called it quits till September. Last year I went all the way through winter (with some better gear) and it was well worth it!

I'll soon be moving a further 10km from work, but hoping to keep the 100% cycle commute going :)

Doing Transbaviaans so have to gear up and face the music/keep fit in winter

also just started the cycling commute (thrice so far). Am going to try do it on most Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays. Only takes me 30-35 min to get to work which may be quicker than driving, certainly less stress, but 50-55 min to get home.

what is the protocol for the endomondo challenge if one is to include ones normal morning ride into my commute? 

what is the protocol for the endomondo challenge if one is to include ones normal morning ride into my commute? 

Gotta mark it as cycling (transport) - welcome :)

Gotta mark it as cycling (transport) - welcome :)

Got that part.just wondering abt the protocol of the following.

A normal commute would be around 18km, but what if I did my normal training ride of 40-50km and then went straight to work without going back home. Would the whole distance be considered a commute?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Got that part.just wondering abt the protocol of the following.

A normal commute would be around 18km, but what if I did my normal training ride of 40-50km and then went straight to work without going back home. Would the whole distance be considered a commute?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Yes, the whole distance will be considered a commute. As long as you don't go home first.

I think a lot of us will have to be creative and make little loops at the beginning and/or end of our rides to make up the distance.

Anyone commuting from Durbanville to Parow Industria by any chance?

I'm toying with the idea of commuting to the office in Parow Industria. Dragon reckons I'm mad  :rolleyes:

Anyone commuting from Durbanville to Parow Industria by any chance?

I'm toying with the idea of commuting to the office in Parow Industria. Dragon reckons I'm mad  :rolleyes:

Distance obviously do-able ....

Try it over a weekend - checking to see where you can cycle safely .....  couple of tight spots with little to no space for a bike .....

With the work on the Old Oak bridge my commute route is about to get busy with cars .... busy looking at parallel routes to use with the bike, may just hop a pavement or two to get onto back roads and out of the busy streets ....

the other challange with commuting - shower/wash facilities at work .....

a back-pack REALLY makes you sweat !!  So I made a carrier for my daily goodies ....

post-110956-0-56901800-1493997124_thumb.jpg

If you get these in place - ENJOY your commute

Distance obviously do-able ....

Try it over a weekend - checking to see where you can cycle safely ..... couple of tight spots with little to no space for a bike .....

With the work on the Old Oak bridge my commute route is about to get busy with cars .... busy looking at parallel routes to use with the bike, may just hop a pavement or two to get onto back roads and out of the busy streets ....

the other challange with commuting - shower/wash facilities at work .....

a back-pack REALLY makes you sweat !! So I made a carrier for my daily goodies ....

attachicon.gifIMG_0898 (Large).JPG

If you get these in place - ENJOY your commute

Distance wise I am looking at 19km one way. For most part the road has nice shoulders to ride in. the only hairy bit would be from Frans Conradie down past Tygerberg hospital. Not much of a shoulder, but does have a sidewalk. Took Robert Sobukwe and Modderdam home the other day. was quite surprised to see a cycle lane on the old Modderdam road.

I will maybe try this route over a weekend or during the next school holidays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

going to work will be nice .....  :whistling:

one LOOOONG hill back home ....  :devil:   Evo-bikes has some nice BIG-climbing gears ....

I have Blomtuin Suikerbossie and Bill Bezuidenhout in the morning, then a very nice route home in the afternoon past Bellville high school, slight longer but half the time of the morning ride.