Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Nice lesson this morning ...  :whistling:

"Stiff breeze" in the Cape today .... that type of breeze that wakes you up early in the morning ...

Will admit I was slightly worried about the commute ...

Strava shows the trip a few seconds faster, and my heart rate significantly LOWER.  So happens that the wind is either from the side, of on my back for most of the commute to work.

I might actually LIKE this on the morning commute .... 

now please dont burst my bubble .... I have encountered this beast in the afternoons .... though getting home all sweaty is much less of an issue as compared to the morning commute

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Stiff breeze" in the Cape today .... that type of breeze that wakes you up early in the morning ...

Strava shows the trip a few seconds faster, and my heart rate significantly LOWER.  So happens that the wind is either from the side, of on my back for most of the commute to work.

now please dont burst my bubble .... I have encountered this beast in the afternoons .... though getting home all sweaty is much less of an issue as compared to the morning commute

Yip, flew in to work this morning. G-spot's jumps this afternoon is going to be "interesting".

I wouldn't mind giving the South Easter a go again. Some cyclists hate wind but I find it fair game. It keeps the air clean! 

anyone here commuting from Woodmead/ Midrand to Centurion/ Irene? i'd like to start commuting to work 3 or 4 times a week

I have done a few from Fourways -> kyalami -> Midrand -> centurion 

It took a while to work out the best route by bike and where to be on pavement , how to get across certain intersections etc 

https://www.strava.com/routes/4634982

It is a bit long for a commute at current fitness levels however.

More truthfully it is hard to get some work done between two >30km commutes

I pondering with the idea of  leaving a car with clothes , Gym bag etc  at office and doing one way home in the afternoon , than back to office the next day and repeat 

Yip, there was a fresh breeze this morning ... a little head breeze for me. Funny thing, even though we were riding into the wind, we ended up in town earlier.

When riding into the wind you have to ride hard to get some speed going, and then keep it there ....... gearing down (if you have gears) and spinning into the wind is waste, you end up going slower and working harder.

On my SS the gearing is currently a 53x16t ..... so you have to ride harder to keep momentum or else your cadence drops along with your speed and it is K@K@ then riding into the wind.

At least we have a tail wind going home this afternoon, even though the wind is meant to die down a little.

Personally I don't mind the wind and I prefer working hard in the morning and having a quick and easy ride home in the evenings.

So you think you can cycle!?

I have learnt a lot about handling and cycling in traffic with my part-time employment as a bike courier.  

This is the Bullitt made by Larry vs Harry. This is the standard drive version that can get pretty tricky when fully loaded. In a single run, I can deliver up to 25 packages ranging from beer, wine, food for the elderly, clothes, books and small parcels. Last night I had 3 cases of beer and 4 boxes of wine in the mix. 

In a headwind, it is tough to get going but after that, it smashes through. Sharing bike lanes is tricky as I cycle faster than 95% of bike commuters and need to overtake in order to make time. When you point the Bullitt down the slightest hill it is like steering a powerboat. 

I cycle about 10-15 hours a week with the Bullitt and the commute to HQ is 10km each way. 

post-43518-0-93295800-1539333495_thumb.jpg

I have learnt a lot about handling and cycling in traffic with my part-time employment as a bike courier.  

This is the Bullitt made by Larry vs Harry. This is the standard drive version that can get pretty tricky when fully loaded. In a single run, I can deliver up to 25 packages ranging from beer, wine, food for the elderly, clothes, books and small parcels. Last night I had 3 cases of beer and 4 boxes of wine in the mix. 

In a headwind, it is tough to get going but after that, it smashes through. Sharing bike lanes is tricky as I cycle faster than 95% of bike commuters and need to overtake in order to make time. When you point the Bullitt down the slightest hill it is like steering a powerboat. 

I cycle about 10-15 hours a week with the Bullitt and the commute to HQ is 10km each way. 

attachicon.gifBullitt.jpg

Those things are EPIC

attachicon.gifBullitt.jpg

Those types/shape of bikes are fairly popular here. I think most of them are ordered from the Netherlands.  Most I see nowadays are e-bikes.  But there is an increase in folks riding around Munich with them with #KindersEnKakEnHare loaded.

Those types/shape of bikes are fairly popular here. I think most of them are ordered from the Netherlands.  Most I see nowadays are e-bikes.  But there is an increase in folks riding around Munich with them with #KindersEnKakEnHare loaded.

There are slightly smaller versions that the Dutch call "Bakfiets" that they load kids and dogs and shopping... but they are usually very hard to pass as the cyclist is playing it safe with they precious cargo inside. I would rather strap my kid to my bike as finding parking for these things is tough and they are bloody expensive! 

There are slightly smaller versions that the Dutch call "Bakfiets" that they load kids and dogs and shopping... but they are usually very hard to pass as the cyclist is playing it safe with they precious cargo inside. I would rather strap my kid to my bike as finding parking for these things is tough and they are bloody expensive! 

Jip, the Bakfiets.  Well the trailers are just as difficult to pass as cyclepaths are not always very wide here.  Normally when commuting I just take it easy until I reach the outskirts of the city when I started upping the tempo.  I am also very cautious when passing people transporting kids.  Last thing I want is to pass someone and giving them a fright that could cause a crash.

did my first commute in years (I last rode a bike to work during varsity)

I've built up an old steel frame for this purpose, but had plenty excuses not to ride.

today I finally bit the bullet and rode to work.

44088751_10156082104728212_6268146662728

things I've learned (will probably add as I go);

1. leave shoes and laptop at work, a backpack gets heavy
  2. I need to find a shorter route
  3. suck it up princess the wind will always blow
  4. I need a bigger granny gear 

some questions for the regulars;

1. how do you get your helmet & kit dry for the ride home, or do you take clean kit each way?
  2. lunch, take with or buy? 

I've built up an old steel frame for this purpose, but had plenty excuses not to ride.

• leave shoes and laptop at work, a backpack gets heavy
  • I need to find a shorter route
  • suck it up princess the wind will always blow
  • I need a bigger granny gear

• how do you get your helmet & kit dry for the ride home, or do you take clean kit each way?
  • lunch, take with or buy?

Also back on the commute today.. almost a year absent ( got knocked off last year oct here in sandton)

I just hang mine in the shower area to dry.

What i learned today, i need a bigger gear as i run out of gears on my 1x11 spark 930.

I ride with my mtb the 94.7 so im gona have the same issue there in not having enough gears on downhills.

Also back on the commute today.. almost a year absent ( got knocked off last year oct here in sandton)

I just hang mine in the shower area to dry.

What i learned today, i need a bigger gear as i run out of gears on my 1x11 spark 930.

I ride with my mtb the 94.7 so im gona have the same issue there in not having enough gears on downhills.

shower area is communal and doesn't really allow for it.

I used old parts so my system is a 1x9  (34T x 11-25)

1. how do you get your helmet & kit dry for the ride home, or do you take clean kit each way?

I am fortunate enough to have a store room where I can hang my clothing after the ride in. I also keep 2 x pairs of jeans here and a few pairs of work shoes with a back up pair of socks and under wear .... you WILL forget these at some point. I also leave the towel here as this is a lumpy and heavy item to be carrying around everyday. Just take it home often enough for a wash and all is good.

Lunch, I have a great Spar down stairs ... so I used to often buy pies and other bad food from them, but as of late I just buy whatever I need and make my own lunch. If I remember, and there is diner left over from the previous night then I will also bring this to work to eat. I see no reason why you eating pattern would change just because you are commuting...... other than you will be more hungry.

At least you can have a Friesland milkshake when you get to work  :clap: