Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If its raining and you do not have a plastic cover for your backpack,remember to pack your underpants somewhere in the middle of the backpack on not right on top.

Looking forward to some wet & cold shoes later this afternoon

If its raining and you do not have a plastic cover for your backpack,remember to pack your underpants somewhere in the middle of the backpack on not right on top.

Looking forward to some wet & cold shoes later this afternoon

Another danger zone is the underside of the bag, with water being sprayed up from the wheel .... enough wet socks and underwear to have learnt this lesson :P

I started working from home on the 1st of July and my road bike was just standing there. After all, I prefer mountain running over riding and I basically only used the bike for commuting. So I thought I would swap the workhorse for something that could make me ride (some) of the trails I like so much. My commute never involved any trails, but in hindsight, I wish that it had. This is so much fun. 

42059493_10156782340290719_1474398728675

I started working from home on the 1st of July and my road bike was just standing there. After all, I prefer mountain running over riding and I basically only used the bike for commuting. So I thought I would swap the workhorse for something that could make me ride (some) of the trails I like so much. My commute never involved any trails, but in hindsight, I wish that it had. This is so much fun. 

42059493_10156782340290719_1474398728675

Trials really do spice up your commute.

Trials really do spice up your commute.

Agree... even my commute through Emmerentia was such a joy!

I now have a 5 km commute roads only but 150 m uphill there and back home it's 20 m uphill. I managed 33.5 km/h AVG home on my 29er yesterday :)

Great to be home SO quick - kids love it too :)

I'll have to find other ways to keep fit but it's so much safer to where I am now so that's a BIG plus.

My condition is close to where it was before my bad accident (almost 7 months ago). It took a while but great / Blessed it's gone so fast and I have no physical restrictions anymore! Engen's around Joburg are enjoyable again :)

Edited by Flemish Lion

Agree... even my commute through Emmerentia was such a joy!

I now have a 5 km commute roads only but 150 m uphill there and back home it's 20 m uphill. I managed 33.5 km/h AVG home on my 29er yesterday :)

Great to be home SO quick - kids love it too :)

I'll have to find other ways to keep fit but it's so much safer to where I am now so that's a BIG plus.

My condition is close to where it was before my bad accident (almost 7 months ago). It took a while but great / Blessed it's gone so fast and I have no physical restrictions anymore! Engen's around Joburg are enjoyable again :)

Great news to hear. Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Man! This commuting makes me hungry!!

riding into the SE does also not help matters much!

The more I commute the less I am worried about the weather.  Let me not get too big headed as winter is approaching us here :(

Cycled home from work at 22:30 in the dark and rain and cold. But that didn't bother me as I was out on the Bullitt making deliveries in this weather too. 

been an interesting week ....

Monday afternoon I am looking at the weather forecast for Tuesday .... just a bit of rain, all of it predicted for my morning commute time .... ended up stuck in traffic for 40 minutes ....  :cursing:   Tuesday morning I get out of the shower and look outside ... few clouds, but no rain ...  :wacko:   While I get dressed the heavens OPEN !!  proper downpour and I use the wipers all the way too the office .... and not long after it clears up for the rest of the day ....

So what have I learnt? - Damn weather forecasters sometimes do get it right !

Fast forward to Wednesday afternoon ..... the lift is out of order .... and I carry the bike down two flights of stairs (will have to carry it back up tomorrow :eek: ) .... nice relaxing 19,5km/h ride home, followed by a short swim.  MAN !!  what a way to finish the day !!!!  :clap:   :clap:   :clap:

So what have I learnt ?  - Carry the bike down the stairs, if that is what it takes to go riding ... well worth it !!  :thumbup:

been an interesting week ....

Monday afternoon I am looking at the weather forecast for Tuesday .... just a bit of rain, all of it predicted for my morning commute time .... ended up stuck in traffic for 40 minutes ....  :cursing:   Tuesday morning I get out of the shower and look outside ... few clouds, but no rain ...  :wacko:   While I get dressed the heavens OPEN !!  proper downpour and I use the wipers all the way too the office .... and not long after it clears up for the rest of the day ....

So what have I learnt? - Damn weather forecasters sometimes do get it right !

Fast forward to Wednesday afternoon ..... the lift is out of order .... and I carry the bike down two flights of stairs (will have to carry it back up tomorrow :eek: ) .... nice relaxing 19,5km/h ride home, followed by a short swim.  MAN !!  what a way to finish the day !!!!  :clap:   :clap:   :clap:

So what have I learnt ?  - Carry the bike down the stairs, if that is what it takes to go riding ... well worth it !!  :thumbup:

When I was still working in Pretoria, our offices were 4 floors under ground.  I would not normally use the left if there are other people using it as well.  I would then rather take the stairs.  But with a stop at the other floors and me running up the stairs with the bike on the shoulder it often happened that I would be at the top before the rest of the crowd in the lift.  The view on their faces when they walk out of the building and I am already outside was always very entertaining.