Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

I also. He checked the weather,saw some rain for this morn and this arvie, so reluctantly climbed into the four Wheeler

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want to commute to work but I have to pass the dodgy and dangerous "M1/M2 belt" to and from work. Does anyone cycle from Alberton to Randburg/Bryanston, bypassing or passing this highway on a safe route?
I currently alternate daily between the motorbike to get home at a decent time and every other day take the bicycle to work and cycle there. I'm lucky to have showers at the office, but the only bicycle lock up is a silly rack against the wall. Does anyone deal with a similar lock up situation but have prevented people fiddling with their bike or stealing the wheels?

post-51185-0-49863200-1542783708_thumb.jpg

... but the only bicycle lock up is a silly rack against the wall. Does anyone deal with a similar lock up situation but have prevented people fiddling with their bike or stealing the wheels?

I' lock my bicycle to a pillar in the basement between other cars. Haven't had any incidents since we moved into this building about 5 years ago.

In the beginning I received a few notes on my bicycle about the bicycle racks outside, but I ignored it and the notes went away.

When I first started with this office around 8 1/2 years ago I used to lock my bike in the fire escape where there was an "alcove" in the wall. Then some ^%$&$% tried to steel the cycle computer off the bike, but could not get it off due to it being a wire unit. Completely broke it though.

Since then the bike is always behind my desk where I can keep an eye on it.

See......

I' lock my bicycle to a pillar in the basement between other cars. Haven't had any incidents since we moved into this building about 5 years ago.

In the beginning I received a few notes on my bicycle about the bicycle racks outside, but I ignored it and the notes went away.

post-5403-0-47610900-1542793645_thumb.jpg

I really want to commute to work but I have to pass the dodgy and dangerous "M1/M2 belt" to and from work. Does anyone cycle from Alberton to Randburg/Bryanston, bypassing or passing this highway on a safe route?

I currently alternate daily between the motorbike to get home at a decent time and every other day take the bicycle to work and cycle there. I'm lucky to have showers at the office, but the only bicycle lock up is a silly rack against the wall. Does anyone deal with a similar lock up situation but have prevented people fiddling with their bike or stealing the wheels?

Hang-on?!? Alberton to Randburg, holy flip, you'll have to leave at 4am to get to work at 8am.

My commuting is back on track again, with young D just about done with school. No more need to drop him off every morning which means I can ride every morning. I've been enjoying the "new old" Merckx lately.

I did discover a negative that I didn't consider. As part of our office water saving plans, we turned off the hot water cycinder to discourage people from running the tap until it turns hot and wasting water. We don't really need hot water.......except that a COLD bath in a basin is NOT FUN at 7am. 

Hang-on?!? Alberton to Randburg, holy flip, you'll have to leave at 4am to get to work at 8am.

We have a guy at work commuting Pretoria / Edenvale 42km one way every single day when he is working from the office.

My commuting is back on track again, with young D just about done with school. No more need to drop him off every morning which means I can ride every morning. I've been enjoying the "new old" Merckx lately.

I did discover a negative that I didn't consider. As part of our office water saving plans, we turned off the hot water cycinder to discourage people from running the tap until it turns hot and wasting water. We don't really need hot water.......except that a COLD bath in a basin is NOT FUN at 7am. 

When I started commuting back in 2001.  We had showers at work but no hot water.  The boiler needed to be fixed in a government building.  It took a year to be fixed but it did happen eventually.  I just went to the maintenance guys every day.  Think the boiler got fixed with the main priority to stop me from annoying them.  Non the less, the first winter with cold showers were ... lets say .. f. refreshing.

We have a guy at work commuting Pretoria / Edenvale 42km one way every single day when he is working from the office.

It's actually not so diffficult.  As long as the route is sortof safe.

I think it sounds further than it is - 27.5km shortest highway route by car, but the traffic is silly. I'm trying to find a route that goes East into Germiston and then North (somewhere safe?!) to reach Bedfordview and from there on it should be smooth sailing - google maps said it will be under 40km. Just getting past the South of Jhb Central is a big safety and logistics problem!

A long time ago when I worked at Unisa I arranged to shower at the student gym at the campus next door. And every start of student winter holiday I waited and waited for the winter water to get a bit warmer before realizing  that it's end June and this water will stay cold for a month. 

Edited by cat-i