Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cycling into work this morning with a fairly decent tailwind I had found myself with time to let my thoughts wander and I questioned my need to commute. I assume most of you guys commute to beat the traffic, however if your like me, I have very little traffic to contend with on my normal drive to and from work, so I guess I'm just doing it to spend more time on my bike with a hint of health benefit thrown in. Anyone else in the same boat or with a different reason than beating the traffic?

In the morning it is easier with the car .... way earlier than morning traffic.

In the afternoon it is okay by car, IF I get out early .... but if I am busy with work and leave 15 minutes late, then I hit the afternoon traffic.  Then the bike is just SO much better !!

Having been confined to the car I am now following up 2 or 3 times a week when the gate will be fixed so I can commute again ....  It goes way beyond "the time"..... My general health is just SO much better when I cycle, from sleeping to sinusses, to being plain "regular" ...  :whistling:

Cycling into work this morning with a fairly decent tailwind I had found myself with time to let my thoughts wander and I questioned my need to commute. I assume most of you guys commute to beat the traffic, however if your like me, I have very little traffic to contend with on my normal drive to and from work, so I guess I'm just doing it to spend more time on my bike with a hint of health benefit thrown in. Anyone else in the same boat or with a different reason than beating the traffic?

Started off as extra workout time "for free". Fitness benefits became apparent. Now I like riding my drop bar bike just for the heck of it. I used to only enjoy mtb. Takes about the same time as in a car...but the car seldomly cures the occasional foul mood.

Started cycling when my wife got a job. She works out of town and had to do a detour into town and back out to the plot. We only had 1 vehicle then. Takes about 30% longer by bike but the benefits to training and general mood makes commuting worth it.

Commuting is like life; if you don't stop once in a while and enjoy the view, what's the point?

That is propably one of the big things about commuting. You can't do it by car and also not by train  or bus.  Everyy once in a while (actually more often than not) I stop and watch the flowers/sunset/sunrise/view in the forest/whatever. 

Taxi first hooted at me this morning, I ignored it and put foot, he then chased me down and pulled up next to me, tough looking guy talking gibberish and waving hands, I again ignored it........until the penny dropped when he made flashing signs with his hands........my rear light was just about to fall off and dangling pretty close to the spokes! Thanks Mr T! You saved me from destroying an expensive light and a wheel or worse!  :thumbup:

The last few working hours on Beer Friday feel longer that the whole week that has just passed!

Commuting is like life; if you don't stop once in a while and enjoy the view, what's the pointCommuting is like life; if you don't stop once in a while and enjoy the view, what's the point?

Commute through Sylvia's pass ? NICE !!! 

- Retail hours suck

- Working over weekends sucks even more

- Time for cycling has decreased dramatically

- Too tired/not motivated to get up early to cycle plus to tackle a 10-hour shift

- My feet are killing me, need to get more comfortable shoes

- Shopping Malls lacks safe, secure parking for bicycles

- On your off days, you just want to sleep and relax

- Maybe considering taking up jogging again to at least get some sort of exercising into my routine. 

EDIT: Just have to adapt and wake up early for morning loops before work.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

- My feet are killing me, need to get more comfortable shoes You're not a little old lady, HTFU (just kidding)

- Shopping Malls lacks safe, secure parking for bicycles  sucks the life out of you (not kidding)

- My feet are killing me, need to get more comfortable shoes You're not a little old lady, HTFU (just kidding)

- Shopping Malls lacks safe, secure parking for bicycles  sucks the life out of you (not kidding)

Worked as part of the team on the revamp of a mega centre for a couple of years .... still cant stand the site of any shopping centre ....

truly feel sorry for the "mom-and-pop" shop .... between the nationals and the unscrupulous managing agents .....

- Retail hours suck

- Working over weekends sucks even more

- Time for cycling has decreased dramatically

- Too tired/not motivated to get up early to cycle plus to tackle a 10-hour shift

- My feet are killing me, need to get more comfortable shoes

- Shopping Malls lacks safe, secure parking for bicycles

- On your off days, you just want to sleep and relax

- Maybe considering taking up jogging again to at least get some sort of exercising into my routine. 

EDIT: Just have to adapt and wake up early for morning loops before work.

The only box I'm not ticking on that list is the shopping mall stuff.

- You dont get used to the hours, you have to adapt. Saturdays are the only days I can commute as my company vehicle is not needed at the dealership on those days. Riding home after 5 hours on your feet with a couple of extra kg in a backpack is not fun, but its good training.

- Spend a bit extra on good work shoes, rubber soles are a must. Even invest in custom made inner soles from a podiatrist. It helps alot with the aching feet. Wont alleviate all the pain though. I do roughly 10 000 steps on a normal day here.

- make the time to ride. you WILL feel better and more motivated.

The only box I'm not ticking on that list is the shopping mall stuff.

- You dont get used to the hours, you have to adapt. Saturdays are the only days I can commute as my company vehicle is not needed at the dealership on those days. Riding home after 5 hours on your feet with a couple of extra kg in a backpack is not fun, but its good training.

- Spend a bit extra on good work shoes, rubber soles are a must. Even invest in custom made inner soles from a podiatrist. It helps alot with the aching feet. Wont alleviate all the pain though. I do roughly 10 000 steps on a normal day here.

- make the time to ride. you WILL feel better and more motivated.

being FIT is the ONLY way to improve your chances of coping with the long hours ...

The WORST situation : long hours + not practicing due to long hours = not fit enough to manage the long hours ... even more tired and even less "Capable" of practicing ....

being FIT is the ONLY way to improve your chances of coping with the long hours ...

The WORST situation : long hours + not practicing due to long hours = not fit enough to manage the long hours ... even more tired and even less "Capable" of practicing ....

100% correct. Becomes and endless spiral.