Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

I made a deal with my CEO, if he put a shower in the building i would stop smoking, he hates smokers , so it was a win win, 6months no smoking for me so far.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing i learnt today is that i prefer riding against the traffic, that way i can see if the driver doesn't feel like driving around me and i can take evasive maneuvers in time and not get blind sided from behind.

I know i'm going to get a lot of stick for saying this, but so be it, i trust my life more in my hands than in the hands of drivers.

And so you put the other commuters at risk as well ... hmmmm. Don't think I agree with your logic.

Thing i learnt today is that i prefer riding against the traffic, that way i can see if the driver doesn't feel like driving around me and i can take evasive maneuvers in time and not get blind sided from behind.

I know i'm going to get a lot of stick for saying this, but so be it, i trust my life more in my hands than in the hands of drivers.

Not giving you (that much) stick, but rather ride on the pavement then. There you are allowed to contra-flow, in the road you are just being a danger to everyone else.

Not giving you (that much) stick, but rather ride on the pavement then. There you are allowed to contra-flow, in the road you are just being a danger to everyone else.

Thats exactly what i do, i ride on the pavement, see a pedestrian, check if the traffic is ok to get onto the road, ride on the road, pedestrian passes, get back on the pavement (Advantage of riding a MTB), if a pedestrian and car or commuter all come at the same time, i pull over and stop till everyone else has passed then i go again.

Edited by ScottC-M

I used to be a staunch anti road bike person.... Now I have a 45km round commute which I do on either a 1976 Cape Town made Peugot SS or a 1978 Colnago Master Fixie. The 22km each way are done as quickly as if I drove, I feel awesome, I save a good 3000 ZAR a month on fuel and I really like tinkering with my route to add some morning/evening spice.

The safety factor does suck but it just means you have to be more aware. On the whole, drivers arent that bad if you make the effort as well.

This sense of entitlement that cyclists and road users have is rubbish. If you as a cyclist obey the rules of the road, the cars are forced to see you and only an occasional absolute moron is going to be a problem.

Ride Parrallel roads to any main roads, a quick nip in nip out of the burbs can keep you out of traffic and out of harms way adding maybe 400m to your journey.

Like driving, there are always a few who spoil it for everybody. Except this driving while on your cell phone. It is disgraceful. 3 out of 5 people are on their phones in slow moving traffic or even free flowing traffic!

Well, thats my observation anyway.... May be different depending on route/demographics.

I will offend some people here with my generalization (myself included as I own a land rover) but my vehicle awareness safety rule of thumb is the bigger the car, the more oblivious (housewife with big sunglasses on messaging her personal trainer/best friend) or aggressive (man in double cab bakkie)..... :ph34r:

What gets to me on the cycling paths in Pretoria (there are about 3 of them)

You get these huge reared people walking on them and then you can't pass them. There were two tannies that walked on one of the cycling paths that went off on me (they screamed at me) for cycling where they walked.

I mean... they passed the cycling board 10 seconds ago.

But okay, we must share...

Getting myself a new backpack for cycling to work and back. one that is a bit more weather friendly. Going to try to take the bicycle to work after 3 weeks of flu.

It's bad enough riding with the flow of traffic on a bicycle. Most roads have no shoulder, so when another cyclist is traveling against the flow of traffic, at least one of them has to swerve. This is dangerous for both cyclists and motorists. Unfortunately I have been in this situation many times, and it is not cool.

It's bad enough riding with the flow of traffic on a bicycle. Most roads have no shoulder, so when another cyclist is traveling against the flow of traffic, at least one of them has to swerve. This is dangerous for both cyclists and motorists. Unfortunately I have been in this situation many times, and it is not cool.

Thats exactly what i do, i ride on the pavement, see a pedestrian, check if the traffic is ok to get onto the road, ride on the road, pedestrian passes, get back on the pavement (Advantage of riding a MTB), if a pedestrian and car or commuter all come at the same time, i pull over and stop till everyone else has passed then i go again.

I will offend some people here with my generalization (myself included as I own a land rover) but my vehicle awareness safety rule of thumb is the bigger the car, the more oblivious (housewife with big sunglasses on messaging her personal trainer/best friend) or aggressive (man in double cab bakkie)..... :ph34r:

I'd agree with this. For me, the larger the vehicle is that is passing me the more weary I am of it. They have bigger wheels that will crush you.

I'd agree with this. For me, the larger the vehicle is that is passing me the more weary I am of it. They have bigger wheels that will crush you.

Yes, but bloody zooped Polos seem to always go a lot faster... ;)

At least the Subarus you can hear coming from a long way off :D

Edited by DJR

• 3 weeks later...

A warning to everyone who bought the Hatch kit. Yesterday on my way home two cars hooted as they passed me while I was cycling home on the sidewalk . A little while later two youngsters in a Corsa tried to take a photo of me with a cellphone. At this point I knew something must be wrong. I stopped and checked my backpack and bike but I could not find anything wrong.

When I got home I greeted the wife and as I turned around to go shower she almost had a heart attach.

And there it was , my whole bum displayed to the world. I can't believe I didn't feel the breeze on my bum.

The worst part was a piece of black fluff right in the middle by my bum ..... Wife said it looked like black hair sticking out !!!

:lol:

Ironic that it was a hatch kit and your hatch was displayed :ph34r:

A warning to everyone who bought the Hatch kit. Yesterday on my way home two cars hooted as they passed me while I was cycling home on the sidewalk . A little while later two youngsters in a Corsa tried to take a photo of me with a cellphone. At this point I knew something must be wrong. I stopped and checked my backpack and bike but I could not find anything wrong.

When I got home I greeted the wife and as I turned around to go shower she almost had a heart attach.

And there it was , my whole bum displayed to the world. I can't believe I didn't feel the breeze on my bum.

The worst part was a piece of black fluff right in the middle by my bum ..... Wife said it looked like black hair sticking out !!!

How to ward off taxi's