Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

You realise you're starting to really enjoy the commute when you put on your wet shoes and gloves from the previous evening's rain during the ride home, and your still damp base layers from being washed last night to head out into the cold crisp morning with a smile and not even a second thought to getting into a car :thumbup:

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is poetry:

At 5:25 this morning with the blackness surrounding me and the only friend being a yellow line and a light to lead the way, my normal alarm started, the one that I use to wake up to take the car, at that moment I grinned, As it chirped merrily away in my back pack, I grinned that I had set the earlier one, I grinned that it was just me and my bike, I grinned that I was there at that exact moment.. I continued pedaling into the darkness

You realise you're starting to really enjoy the commute when you put on your wet shoes and gloves from the previous evening's rain during the ride home, and your still damp base layers from being washed last night to head out into the cold crisp morning with a smile and not even a second thought to getting into a car :thumbup:

nope sorry not there yet, I still check the weather the night before. Hats off to all the okes i see commuting everyday.

Completed my first commute hiccup free! People in traffic drive so aggressively!

I absolutely loved it. Luckily, mostly off road, so I only had to deal with cars when crossing the road at traffic lights. I left the car at work, so back on the bike tomorrow morning. I can't wait!

Completed my first commute hiccup free! People in traffic drive so aggressively!

I absolutely loved it. Luckily, mostly off road, so I only had to deal with cars when crossing the road at traffic lights. I left the car at work, so back on the bike tomorrow morning. I can't wait!

Enjoy for those of us who can't. My voice returned the first time today at least. Now just two and a half weeks of no cycling.

Still have a problem breathing if I push myself a bit. Even a brisk walk gets me down at this stage.

So taking it slow.

ah man, so bumbed.

Over slept,

wheel was a bit flat pumped at garage en route,

started and stopped endomondo without noticing,

3.5 km down the road get a cut in tyre,

fix cut and notice broken spoke,

pedal home to get car so that I can hopefully repair wheel to communte tomorrow and maybe get new tyre. :thumbdown:

On the subject of rain and wet shoes, reminds me of another thing I've learnt about commuting, and that is the technique for drying my shoes (safely) in the oven :)

On the subject of rain and wet shoes, reminds me of another thing I've learnt about commuting, and that is the technique for drying my shoes (safely) in the oven :)

Joh, and none of the plastic melts?

I've seen some interesting things in traffic during commuting.

This morning there was a guy driving a Figo down Jan Smuts Avenue whilst reading a Spider-Man comic.

A week or two back I saw a woman driving in her bra putting her blouse on

Strange how it only drizzles in Milnerton and Tableview,but as soon as you get to the Harbour entrance it pours down.I was chicken this morning

I've seen some interesting things in traffic during commuting.

This morning there was a guy driving a Figo down Jan Smuts Avenue whilst reading a Spider-Man comic.

A week or two back I saw a woman driving in her bra putting her blouse on

Pics or it didn't happen :whistling:

When communicating in to work, mud is bad. Especially mud with sewage mixed into it. Especially if you store your bike in your car for the day. Especially if you can't find somewhere to hose it off.

Take a nappy(Disposable/very ungreen) . Fold it inside out. shove it in the shoe.

It wont be bone dry but It soaks up a bucket of water overnight.

Yes I do pack nappies when doing a stage race.

Hopefully will be able to start commuting again soon!

Are there any hubbers that commute from Durbanville to CPT?

Take a nappy(Disposable/very ungreen) . Fold it inside out. shove it in the shoe.

It wont be bone dry but It soaks up a bucket of water overnight.

Yes I do pack nappies when doing a stage race.

Pack wet shoe full of newspaper, leave for an hour or 2. Remove wet newspaper and re pack with dry newspaper, leave overnight. Your shoes will be virtually dry next morning. That is for very wet shoes. Damp shoes you only have to do once. Cheaper than nappies and it is recycling, which I like. Also biodegradable.