Unicycle - NOT a $#@$ing Mountain Bike

zaslinger

As everyone can see I am new to this forum. I focus 80% of my time on unicycling and everything related to it. Today I find myself here...

Firstly, to Zaslinger, i'm sorry to here that you had an unsavoury experience on this race. I'm especially sorry it had to be with a unicyclist. But the unicyclist you have directed this thread to has outstanding character. I cannot comment on him swearing at you but my feeling is that he had to be provoked. He does a lot of charity work using his unicycle and his ability to ride a unicycle as the primary tool to do this work. I am absolutely certain that the organiser's knew he would be competing on a unicycle, I back this up by tweets I read between him and the organisers: "@mtbseries Down and Dirty tomorrow! Rocking 40km on one wheel....TOO KEEN!" and the response from @mtbseries was "Glad 2 have u, gud luck!". But let's wait for confirmation from Tim.

Secondly, we could argue the rights and wrongs, the likes and dislikes and the rules until the cow's come home. We are a cycling community whether is be on 1, 2 or 3 wheels.

Yes, it is perceived that unicycles belong in the circus because that's what people associate it with. People need to update the way they think about the sport. It is fast growing and falling more into the category of extreme than ever before. A local example would be the 2 Unicyclists who rode from Durban to Cape Town on the Freedom Challenge Trail (2470km off-road). That's quite an accomplishment. The unicyclist in question on this thread did the race (off-road, single-track) on a 36" wheel .

Ultimately, we just want to be at peace with our fellow riders, regardless of how many wheels and sizes.

Anyway, it's a pity my first post had to be about such a horrible topic and I'm certain I will be on the forum more often, hopefully making friends.

Nice Post :thumbup:

Edited by Kranswurm

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome GirleeRyder! You'll find the Hub is always filled with argee-bargee, but at least it brings some new people in. Don't take anything that is said anywhere seriously.

I still disagree on putting unicycles into mtb races - the difference is just too great. Sure the very top unicyclers might be faster than the slow mtbers but even then they're faster in different places ie: drop offs or technical versus flat dirt road.

Its not about how skilled the unicyclists are or how charitable they are - its about what's best for the masses. Unicyclists get in the way - you can argue that we have to slow down for slow mtbs anyway but why compound an existing problem?

Silly question - do unicyclists even race? If so can I come and do your races? I promise I'll start at the back ;-)

Julius, is that you?

Get out - bloody agent. How do you think I relax between disciplinary hearings?

Did he have a proper SAS board?

Nou wonder ek waar plak mens 'n numberboard op 'n unicycle?

EDIT: Nevermind.

Unicyclists - it will be funny. Untill one gets run over by a proper mtb'er.

Edited by The real MJ

Alright... so after completing the Down and Dirty on my 36" MUni and managing to somehow cause quite a stir and 6 pages worth of forum posts I think I should probably have my own say about all of this.

Zaslinger, I would like to sincerely apologize for the trouble our encounter caused you and I understand your anger and frustration. It really was not intentional.

In my defense, I would like to clear up all the speculating that has happened so far:

First of all I would like to say that I don't swear, never have and I don't intend to start, regardless of the provocation. I will admit to responding to the likes of 'Where's your other wheel?' and 'have you escaped from the circus?' with 'I decided to get rid of my training wheel' - we're all human and I feel a linguistic jab deserve a good reply.

Secondly, with regards to permission to participate. I contacted Tim Fair well in advance to ask permission to enter and he granted it - I paid the full amount and gave the ride my best effort - I do not enter MTB or road races to compete against 2-wheelers, I enter so that I can cover km's in officially recognized races to raise funds for The Starfish Greathearts Foundation, who provide for orphaned and vulnerable children in South Africa.

When it comes to seeding - I have only ever ridden races on my unicycle. I usually communicate with the race organisers and they place me in a group that they feel is most suitable. For the Down and Dirty, I admit I didn't and ended up starting in the H group (well, well back from B and C, as was suggested) - within this group I took it upon myself to start right at the back and let the 2-wheelers go first. In future, I will most definitely start in the last group - though this will not guarantee that no-one has to pass me, my experience in the race and my position in the results (729 out of 913 riders) would suggest that I am faster than a portion of the field and that I will at some point pass some 2-wheelers. The combining of the routes did add to this problem, but that was out of my control.

As for "the need to prove your "super" abilities and draw praise upon yourself, get a proper bloody bike and win the event." - I'm not participating to prove anything, except maybe that I can achieve goals that I set myself. I am a unicyclist - street, trials, distance and muni - I am taking an opportunity allowed me in order for me to practice a past-time that I enjoy.

I apologize that due to the nature of unicycling, we do end up wandering somewhat (unicyclist end up travelling between 2 and 5% further than multi-wheeler counterparts), however I do stick to my line as well as I possibly can and better than some 2-wheelers I have seen. On jeep track I keep to the left and pass on the right should the need arise, on single track I assume those coming from the back can see me sitting a good 50cm higher than anyone else (as well as my wildly flailing ARM - I'm holding my handle bar with the other one remember :D).

Once again... I apologize for the bust tyre and the walk home. I appreciate the many positive comments and conversation that I had on the route and I hope that this whole issue wont mar the relationship between MTBers and Unicyclists.

As long as race organizers allow me to enter I will continue to participate in both road and MTB races and hopefully end up raising a decent amount for the kids that need it.

Alright... so after completing the Down and Dirty on my 36" MUni and managing to somehow cause quite a stir and 6 pages worth of forum posts I think I should probably have my own say about all of this.

Zaslinger, I would like to sincerely apologize for the trouble our encounter caused you and I understand your anger and frustration. It really was not intentional.

In my defense, I would like to clear up all the speculating that has happened so far:

First of all I would like to say that I don't swear, never have and I don't intend to start, regardless of the provocation. I will admit to responding to the likes of 'Where's your other wheel?' and 'have you escaped from the circus?' with 'I decided to get rid of my training wheel' - we're all human and I feel a linguistic jab deserve a good reply.

Secondly, with regards to permission to participate. I contacted Tim Fair well in advance to ask permission to enter and he granted it - I paid the full amount and gave the ride my best effort - I do not enter MTB or road races to compete against 2-wheelers, I enter so that I can cover km's in officially recognized races to raise funds for The Starfish Greathearts Foundation, who provide for orphaned and vulnerable children in South Africa.

When it comes to seeding - I have only ever ridden races on my unicycle. I usually communicate with the race organisers and they place me in a group that they feel is most suitable. For the Down and Dirty, I admit I didn't and ended up starting in the H group (well, well back from B and C, as was suggested) - within this group I took it upon myself to start right at the back and let the 2-wheelers go first. In future, I will most definitely start in the last group - though this will not guarantee that no-one has to pass me, my experience in the race and my position in the results (729 out of 913 riders) would suggest that I am faster than a portion of the field and that I will at some point pass some 2-wheelers. The combining of the routes did add to this problem, but that was out of my control.

As for "the need to prove your "super" abilities and draw praise upon yourself, get a proper bloody bike and win the event." - I'm not participating to prove anything, except maybe that I can achieve goals that I set myself. I am a unicyclist - street, trials, distance and muni - I am taking an opportunity allowed me in order for me to practice a past-time that I enjoy.

I apologize that due to the nature of unicycling, we do end up wandering somewhat (unicyclist end up travelling between 2 and 5% further than multi-wheeler counterparts), however I do stick to my line as well as I possibly can and better than some 2-wheelers I have seen. On jeep track I keep to the left and pass on the right should the need arise, on single track I assume those coming from the back can see me sitting a good 50cm higher than anyone else (as well as my wildly flailing ARM - I'm holding my handle bar with the other one remember :D).

Once again... I apologize for the bust tyre and the walk home. I appreciate the many positive comments and conversation that I had on the route and I hope that this whole issue wont mar the relationship between MTBers and Unicyclists.

As long as race organizers allow me to enter I will continue to participate in both road and MTB races and hopefully end up raising a decent amount for the kids that need it.

Thanks for coming in here and responding! :thumbup:

@ Unicycle4Change

Good man, thank you for your response and apology.

You take it on the chin well.

In light of your response, I would like to take back my "jibes" about proving yourself & apologise for any ill feeling towards you.

I then put it to CSA to sanction unicycles for MTB races.

I also put it to organisers to NOT join routes and cause chaos.

Silly question - do unicyclists even race?

Yes, we do compete in MTB and road races but obviously don't compete against the 2 wheelers. The only race where a unicycle could beat a bicycle is the Mast Challenge. We rock on the uphills. We haven't had an official only unicycle race yet, it's in the post me thinks.

These are some of the races various riders have done. Riders often arrange for a unicycling category or do the funrides.

- Cape Argus Pick 'n Pay Cycle Tour

- Momentum 94.7

- AmaShova

- The Mast Challenge

- JMBC Logwood Classic

- 3rd Mi-Way Big Five MTB Challenge

- MTN and NISSAN National MTB Series XCM #4

- Engen Dynamic Cycle Challenge

- DPHS Mudman

- NCC Downhill

- Mongoose Western Cape Downhill Series 2010 (Taal Monument)

- Stellenbosch MTB Challenge

- Die Burger Fietstoer

- Red Bull Urban Assault

- Sabie/Subaru Mountain Bike Challenge

Just on the topic of races joining courses.

At the Die Burger MTB race, the 30km route doubles back on itself in a narrow little area.

Now I was in 3rd place and the 2nd last group were coming my way...

I knew the course from the previous year and that it did this but really.

To send people straight into oncoming traffic isn't a good idea, even if it was only 200m.

Scary stuff, nearly crashed twice, also received abuse for "going the wrong way!"

@ Unicycle4Change

Good man, thank you for your response and apology.

You take it on the chin well.

In light of your response, I would like to take back my "jibes" about proving yourself & apologise for any ill feeling towards you.

I then put it to CSA to sanction unicycles for MTB races.

I also put it to organisers to NOT join routes and cause chaos.

:clap:

Mods, please ban both of these reprobates. Four counts of unacceptable behaviour: It is against forum rules to be reasonable, to apologise, to accept an apology, and to move on!

Horrified.

@Unicycle4Change : Give that man a bells, well done sir for your great response :thumbup:

Man, I cringe when people use the "Give that man a bells" line....

It's so common, firstly, who actually drinks bell's it's terrible.

Also- it's such an unimaginative statement and it gives me the creeps... no class..