Unicycle - NOT a $#@$ing Mountain Bike

zaslinger

And what would the issue with you waiting for a clear space have been? You probably would have tried to avoid the rock on your BIcycle as well. If someone was behind you whilst doing that, would you have been the source of HIS anger?

Grow up. It's just a ride. And if you were racing a uni for position, you must be SERIOUSLY slow or technically challenged.

I have to agree with Mayhem here. It is after all just a ride, nowadays people take things way to seriously!! Enjoy what you are doing, it is for fun isnt it? or were you getting paid to race?? then I understand.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with Mayhem here. It is after all just a ride, nowadays people take things way to seriously!! Enjoy what you are doing, it is for fun isnt it? or were you getting paid to race?? then I understand.

Only if he started legit, paid his/entry and starts at the back. Why did he start in batch upfront, he should have known he would cause issues in the singletrack. Also he got that seeding based on his abilities on two wheels not on one, so if he wants to race with us, then go about it the right way, dont cheat the system and then expect guys to pass you.

And if he was getting paid to race, then what the hell was he doing trying to pass a unicyclist? That's some seriously backwardly competitive sponsorship strategy, right there. Picking a guy who is so slow, he's racing unicyclists for position.

In addition - if he were being paid, and it was where 2 routes converged, the technical ability levels of paid riders would have us all assume that the excursion would not have been a problem at all. Hop over the rocks or roots, or stay behind him and then bolt past when safe...

Only if he started legit, paid his/entry and starts at the back. Why did he start in batch upfront, he should have known he would cause issues in the singletrack. Also he got that seeding based on his abilities on two wheels not on one, so if he wants to race with us, then go about it the right way, dont cheat the system and then expect guys to pass you.

Erm - why was the guy behind him in the first place? Slow as feck, methinks.

Cheat the system? How? By not paying entry fees? That's pretty dumb, if you're on a unicycle. I mean, it's not as if you're inconspicuous, is it?

I always thought this whole Unicycle thing belonged in a circus.

The way they swing that arm around I am suprised you did not get a smack in the chops.Rediculous!

From my experience in doing MTB races, we've almost always started at the back. We have started right in the front on the Mast Challenge, but then again it's jeep track all the way up so we get passed reasonably quickly on the way up ... well I do in any event. Buddies of mine on their Uni's beat quite a lot of MTB'ers to the top of the Mast :)

If you're in a race and have done more than a couple km's and you come across a much slower rider, be it a Unicyclist or a bicyclist, then the race routes have probably been merged in which case you need to take your issues up with the race planners and organisers.

If the dude mouthed off at you, then I agree have an issue with him. It's just plain rude no matter who you are. I would suspect though that there may have been some provocation of sorts, but I could be wrong.

Uni's are starting to take part in more MTB and road races. Why not ? I think it's great. We're doing a wheeled sport that we absolutely love. Think about it ... we're doing a fringe sport that is gaining some popularity and exposure. Given the opportunity ... what would you do ? I love the fact that I can ride a unicycle, and I love it even more that I can ride it off road and do some seriously cool terrain and drops on it. It's an adrenaline rush of note :drool:

The circus comments and "You've lost a wheel" jokes ... well ... let me start by saying that you are *SO* original .... no really I mean it .... no, actually I don't. Like a tall guy has never heard, "So how is the weather up there?". I love the circus. It's a wonderful place. I come from a circus family so telling me that I should be in a circus is felt with some pride ... Thanks :)

So see you guys on the trails :D

Erm - why was the guy behind him in the first place? Slow as feck, methinks.

Cheat the system? How? By not paying entry fees? That's pretty dumb, if you're on a unicycle. I mean, it's not as if you're inconspicuous, is it?

Well easy you see, you race a couple of races on two wheels get a seeding of say B or C batch and then 75% of the fields start behind you a couple of minutes later, these batches start 5-10min apart. If you have done one of the nissan races you would know what I am talking about. If I had to put money on it, this is exactly what happened, the oke on his unicycle never went through the seeding process on it but rather on his two wheeled bike. This is cheating the system. I did the race and the first piece of singletrack where passing would be hard was at 7km, no way in hell this oke on his unicycle started in the same batch as his two wheeled cousin and then only meet at the 7km mark. Not even if he was bozo the clown :o

Yes, people also "pirate race" by joining the field somewhere in the middle, this could also have happened here, I will be very surprised if advendurance allowed this guy, I for one didnt see the anyone at the start with a unicycle, in which case makes this guy even a bigger chop

I don't get the point of a unicycle other that proving that you can balance.

And yes I can ride one, took about two hours of practice, and once you know how its like .. well it's like riding a bicycle.

I like speed. I want to hit fast flowing single track as quick as I can, jumping roots rocks and whatever else is in the way in the process. To have to pedal a cycle downhill is like having to wash dishes IMO.

Well easy you see, you race a couple of races on two wheels get a seeding of say B or C batch and then 75% of the fields start behind you a couple of minutes later, these batches start 5-10min apart. If you have done one of the nissan races you would know what I am talking about. If I had to put money on it, this is exactly what happened, the oke on his unicycle never went through the seeding process on it but rather on his two wheeled bike. This is cheating the system. I did the race and the first piece of singletrack where passing would be hard was at 7km, no way in hell this oke on his unicycle started in the same batch as his two wheeled cousin and then only meet at the 7km mark. Not even if he was bozo the clown :o

Yes, people also "pirate race" by joining the field somewhere in the middle, this could also have happened here, I will be very surprised if advendurance allowed this guy, I for one didnt see the anyone at the start with a unicycle, in which case makes this guy even a bigger chop

I suspect that the Race Organisers knew exactly where they were seeding a Unicyclist. Unicyclists are not inconspicuous ... clearly .... Saying that the guy cheated by being ahead of you is a stretch. If you're racing for money where your lively hood depends on it, then you should train harder and be at the start of the groups. If not, then race and enjoy the ride.

I don't get the point of a unicycle other that proving that you can balance.

And yes I can ride one, took about two hours of practice, and once you know how its like .. well it's like riding a bicycle.

I like speed. I want to hit fast flowing single track as quick as I can, jumping roots rocks and whatever else is in the way in the process. To have to pedal a cycle downhill is like having to wash dishes IMO.

hahahaha.. like having to wash dishes :D Never heard that analogy before ... that's actually quite funny :)

It is like riding a bicycle ... like riding a mountain bicycle ... awesome .. isn't it ... only better IMO, but that's just me :D

I suspect that the Race Organisers knew exactly where they were seeding a Unicyclist. Unicyclists are not inconspicuous ... clearly .... Saying that the guy cheated by being ahead of you is a stretch. If you're racing for money where your lively hood depends on it, then you should train harder and be at the start of the groups. If not, then race and enjoy the ride.

Well I would like to hear from Tim, will post something on the D&D thread but I highly doubt they knew of him or his intentions of starting on a unicycle, I didnt see him at the start and like you said, he would have been hard to miss. I disagree Johnny, I think he totally cheated the system. Doesn't matter if its for money or not, if he wants to clown around...no pun intended :rolleyes: ...go to the circus

I am going with the following making this oke a cheat/chop no matter which way you look at it

A.He paid for his entry BUT didn't get into his seeding batch based on his performance on a unicycle but a bicycle and/or didn't let Advendurance know about his intentions to ride on a unicycle cheating the seeding index and causing issues in the singletrack. The right thing to do was to start at the back no matter what your "bicycle seeding index" was

B.He is pirate rider that joined the field somewhere and probably didnt even cross the line.

If Advendurance knew about him and still started him on his bicycle index upfront, well that would have been a bad call on their side in which case I blame them, but this seems unlikely

I think LeTurbo should also get himself a unicycle- sounds like another circus monkey!!!

If you don't MTB, you've probably never been on a rocky PTA trail and therefore your opinion (on this topic) is like Malema giving wood work tips...

I like the first suggestion, Lamber. It's been my intention but I'll start with a small cheapie. At 47, it's a case of an old dog learning new tricks. For you, I'll get a red nose too.

Why don't I MTB? Attitude - not mine, but the other riders. I did the Wiesenhof 24hr a year or two ago: I'm not good unpractised on MTB so the other tjops riding up behind shouting "Track!" did not endear me to the fraternity.

The guy on the unicycle beat my mate who was riding an Ibis Mojo (ok, he got a flat 4km from the end which slowed him down, haha). The unicyclist did the 40km starting ahead of batch X somewhere. I started in X and passed him at about 3 or 4km. He finished the 40km in about 2h30. That's damn impressive and I would say that his seeding was about spot on!

Edited by divernick

I like the first suggestion, Lamber. It's been my intention but I'll start with a small cheapie. At 47, it's a case of an old dog learning new tricks. For you, I'll get a red nose too.

Why don't I MTB? Attitude - not mine, but the other riders. I did the Wiesenhof 24hr a year or two ago: I'm not good unpractised on MTB so the other tjops riding up behind shouting "Track!" did not endear me to the fraternity.

Aaag nee man, moenie so wees nie! Bring your MTB (or UniCycle then :P ) and we'll go for a race outride here in Kimberley! First 'track'-shouter gets a dual action pump up his assorta :D