Unicycle - NOT a $#@$ing Mountain Bike

zaslinger

........ I disagree Johnny, I think he totally cheated the system. Doesn't matter if its for money or not, if he wants to clown around...no pun intended :rolleyes: ...go to the circus

I am going with the following making this oke a cheat/chop no matter which way you look at it

A.He paid for his entry BUT didn't get into his seeding batch based on his performance on a unicycle but a bicycle and/or didn't let Advendurance know about his intentions to ride on a unicycle cheating the seeding index and causing issues in the singletrack. The right thing to do was to start at the back no matter what your "bicycle seeding index" was

B.He is pirate rider that joined the field somewhere and probably didnt even cross the line.

I love clowns ... in my opinion, a great clown can totally steal the show. The best clowns I've seen didn't even need to say a single word of english. In fact the one spoke total gibberish the entire time, and the other made sound effects for what he was doing ... amazing really ... I was impressed and still am as I remember those acts out of any other I saw on the respective shows.

As far as I know the guy you're talking about did take things up with the race organisers beforehand. There was no surprise that he was riding a Unicycle. Perhaps you should query things with the race organisers.

Lastly, why so sore about racing against a guy on a unicycle even if he did start before you. He's clearly not racing against you. Kinda like the apple orange thing.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy on the unicycle beat my mate who was riding an Ibis Mojo (ok, he got a flat 4km from the end which slowed him down, haha). The unicyclist did the 40km starting ahead of batch X somewhere. I started in X and passed him at about 3 or 4km. He finished the 40km in about 2h30. That's damn impressive and I would say that his seeding was about spot on!

If that is the case power to him...2:30 :o ... Would like to hear from Tim though and if its their position to allow unicycles in their events starting in bicycle batches instead of the back.

I love clowns ... in my opinion, a great clown can totally steal the show. The best clowns I've seen didn't even need to say a single word of english. In fact the one spoke total gibberish the entire time, and the other made sound effects for what he was doing ... amazing really ... I was impressed and still am as I remember those acts out of any other I saw on the respective shows.

As far as I know the guy you're talking about did take things up with the race organisers beforehand. There was no surprise that he was riding a Unicycle. Perhaps you should query things with the race organisers.

Lastly, why so sore about racing against a guy on a unicycle even if he did start before you. He's clearly not racing against you. Kinda like the apple orange thing.

If the organizers allowed this well then he is off the hook like I mentioned in a earlier post, my gripe would be with them if they started him in a front batch. If in X...no problem then its all fair. I have a gripe if he used his bicycle seeding index for a unicycle.

Not sore ol Johnny just find unicyclist unpredictable(I have met a couple at the Van gaalens river trail once) trying to pass them is a bit of a hit and miss, quite literally. All things said and done, if he started in the X batch(back), then no issues power to chico :thumbup:

And what would the issue with you waiting for a clear space have been? You probably would have tried to avoid the rock on your BIcycle as well. If someone was behind you whilst doing that, would you have been the source of HIS anger?

Grow up. It's just a ride. And if you were racing a uni for position, you must be SERIOUSLY slow or technically challenged.

+1

I'm with the OP - unicycles and mtbs are so different they should not be in the same race. What's next trail runners and mtbers racing together???

There are a couple of mtb events that runners do, the shorter ones though, like a 20km, there was a guy at tru-cape who ran the course.

Actually this guy entered the long route, the 50km, he paid the entry fee and had his number stuck to his shorts and everything! We chatted to him on the start line. He was busy preparing for the Comrades.

We were all like "you are freeking nuts bru!"

When we got to the finish, he was already there and we were thinking .... there is No way we just got beaten on a 50km track by a runner even tough it was a very technical, rocky and tough race.

He said he ran for about 10km's but the single track got too rough and he wont be able to run the comrades with broken ankles, so he turned back.

He then said "you guys are freeking nuts for riding that stuff with your bikes" :lol:

Just over the crest of a hill on single track, next to a fence.

Both going down.

I was closing faster, he zigged in front on me, I went farming to avoid him.

I have had my say.

The rules are clear.

So flame me if you see fit.

I have one question that comes to mind:

How the hell did a unicycle get in front of you in the first place?

Did "it" get a head start?

I have one question that comes to mind:

How the hell did a unicycle get in front of you in the first place?

Did "it" get a head start?

Short routes joined the 70km route about 10km from the end.

Hence all kinds and skill levels get mixed together.

Short routes joined the 70km route about 10km from the end.

Hence all kinds and skill levels get mixed together.

Zaslinger, did you make the popcorn you promised? Where's mine? I prefer salt & vinegar to butter, just so as you know ...

LOL - that popcorn is history, chowed it all myself :clap:

I knew I was causing trouble when I posted this, but I feel better now.

Some interesting responses - HTFU - Lol.

maybe I should post a poll?

Damn this is so silly, just because someone didnt have space to overtake another someone and ended up in the bush. Jees a little patience for the right moment to overtake would have prevented all of this, at the end of the day, a bike is a bike, whether it has 1,2, 3 or 4 wheels, I like them all, but I have my preference, what difference does it make. Stop being petty, exercise patience then incidents like this wont happen

What's the difference between some guy on a uni or a noob that cant go downhill. You would of still went farming. Just because you can't ride your bike does not give you the right to dictate where and when others can ride there's. So shut up and ride . Enjoy the ride.

As everyone can see I am new to this forum. I focus 80% of my time on unicycling and everything related to it. Today I find myself here...

Firstly, to Zaslinger, i'm sorry to here that you had an unsavoury experience on this race. I'm especially sorry it had to be with a unicyclist. But the unicyclist you have directed this thread to has outstanding character. I cannot comment on him swearing at you but my feeling is that he had to be provoked. He does a lot of charity work using his unicycle and his ability to ride a unicycle as the primary tool to do this work. I am absolutely certain that the organiser's knew he would be competing on a unicycle, I back this up by tweets I read between him and the organisers: "@mtbseries Down and Dirty tomorrow! Rocking 40km on one wheel....TOO KEEN!" and the response from @mtbseries was "Glad 2 have u, gud luck!". But let's wait for confirmation from Tim.

Secondly, we could argue the rights and wrongs, the likes and dislikes and the rules until the cow's come home. We are a cycling community whether is be on 1, 2 or 3 wheels.

Yes, it is perceived that unicycles belong in the circus because that's what people associate it with. People need to update the way they think about the sport. It is fast growing and falling more into the category of extreme than ever before. A local example would be the 2 Unicyclists who rode from Durban to Cape Town on the Freedom Challenge Trail (2470km off-road). That's quite an accomplishment. The unicyclist in question on this thread did the race (off-road, single-track) on a 36" wheel .

Ultimately, we just want to be at peace with our fellow riders, regardless of how many wheels and sizes.

Anyway, it's a pity my first post had to be about such a horrible topic and I'm certain I will be on the forum more often, hopefully making friends.