Unicycle - NOT a $#@$ing Mountain Bike

zaslinger

Guest agteros

Just over the crest of a hill on single track, next to a fence.

Both going down.

I was closing faster, he zigged in front on me, I went farming to avoid him.

I have had my say.

The rules are clear.

So flame me if you see fit.

100% with you!

• No free-loading/pirate riding
  • No I-pods
  • No Go-Pros
  • No outside assistance
  • Only two wheeled bicycles

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok get the popcorn, I'm gonna start a fight!!!!!!

So, I had my say about the Down & Dirty, re. joining courses and resulting mayhem!!!

Now add to the magic, someone on a unicycle Those guys are amazing!.

This thing zigzags all over, as he tries to avoid rocks Isn't that the idea? etc. making it almost impossible to guess which way to go to avoid a collision, never mind overtake him You're blaming him 'cos you were chicken?.

Long story short, I had to go "Farming" Aren't mountain bikes supposed to be able to do this? to avoid him and tore up my rear tire You can't control your bike except on a smooth jeep track? and had a nice long walk home Couldn't you ride it as a unicycle?.

Add insult to injury, this unicyclist is all mouthy, making comments like:

. I got rid of my training wheels Evidently he was better at avoiding rocks than you were

. Telling others to "FO" when they complained that he wasn't holding his line Why I don't MTB - everyone thinks he owns the track and getting in the way Isn't overtaking part of a race's tactics? Should the TDF leader pull over when a back-marker comes up? After all, he was beating you at that point.!!!

Well here's a message for you chop.

CSA MTB RACE REGULATIONS

1.9.2 Bicycles must use a wheel on both front and back for all disiplines of Mountain Bike competition Who can tell which is the front and which the back on a unicycle?

that is no bigger than 26 inches. If you add the size of two wheels together, he was still within the limit.Mountain bikes using two 29” wheels may now also be used.

your zigzag action is just dangerous when things get tight. You had better visibility, looking forward.

If I had crashed as a result of you, there would have been a fight.

If you feel the need to prove your "super" abilities and draw praise upon yourself, get a proper bloody bike and win the event He's probably been there and done that. Else stay out the way! Learn to overtake!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe in Durbs you refer to jeep track as single track but down here in the Cape single track is just that so you really cannot zigzag very much and 2 bikes do not fit on the single track abreast.Seriously think this chop is just miffed that a unicycle was ahead of him??

I'm with the OP - unicycles and mtbs are so different they should not be in the same race. What's next trail runners and mtbers racing together???

I have to agree, this is MTB racing not a circus, although at times you have to wonder?

Last time I checked bicycle had 2 wheels, whats next tricycles?

I have to agree, this is MTB racing not a circus, although at times you have to wonder?

Last time I checked bicycle had 2 wheels, whats next tricycles?

then you would need triple track.

I presume this is the guy on the 29"? Lots of space when I overtook him-lucky me! The way he was zigzaggig I recon he did 50 km on the 40 km route.

Classic :D

I think LeTurbo should also get himself a unicycle- sounds like another circus monkey!!!

If you don't MTB, you've probably never been on a rocky PTA trail and therefore your opinion (on this topic) is like Malema giving wood work tips...

Maybe in Durbs you refer to jeep track as single track but down here in the Cape single track is just that so you really cannot zigzag very much and 2 bikes do not fit on the single track abreast.Seriously think this chop is just miffed that a unicycle was ahead of him??

If the person had been on a unicycle and did that to me during a race he was not supposed to be in then I would have kicked him off the thing, then gone and given the race organisers a good kicking to. So what happens when someone gets badly hurt as a result of this during a race???

Next time maybe someone on a horse can join in.

Unicycles are starting to become more prevalent in MTB races. I've done a few already including the Argus MTB. We usually approach the race organisers beforehand to get "permission" to take part. We have not been refused entry so far, as far as I know.

So to the OP, a unicycle was in front of you on some single track. What do you usually do when trying to pass someone going down some single track ? Try bomb past and then blame the rider for your lack of experience when things go wrong ? Clearly the guy on the Uni was working harder than you just keeping it on the trail.

I'd have to agree with Turbo with all his responses to you in an earlier post.

I'm with the OP - unicycles and mtbs are so different they should not be in the same race. What's next trail runners and mtbers racing together???

There are a couple of mtb events that runners do, the shorter ones though, like a 20km, there was a guy at tru-cape who ran the course.

@ the OP - Sorry about your bad luck puncturing while overtaking off-line, it's happened to many of us before.

Personally I was very impressed and humbled by the obviously talented and hardcore Unicycler, who was nice enough to have a chat with me as I overtook him on a stretch of singletrack.

You may as well be p'd-off with slow 20km fun riders as well then, cos they also weave all over the place on rocky singletrack.

Look ahead and overtake when and where it's safe to do so, whether you're overtaking a unicycle or fellow 2-wheeler.

Ok get the popcorn, I'm gonna start a fight!!!!!!

So, I had my say about the Down & Dirty, re. joining courses and resulting mayhem!!!

Now add to the magic, someone on a unicycle.

If you feel the need to prove your "super" abilities and draw praise upon yourself, get a proper bloody bike and win the event. Else stay out the way!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only have respect and amazement for what these okes can do on their mUnicycles.

They're not going away, so get used to seeing them. People hogging single track is also rather common. You want to ban roadies who crawl downhill too?

there are probably better ways to pass them, if it becomes a big issue i'm sure a 15 pager here will speculate everything and achieve nothing.

where you are right is that the dude shouldn't be shouting his mouth off. I reckon it's because he's had about 999 circus jokes that day.

Was he on the same route as you? if it's the case then time to be quieter.

Unicycles are starting to become more prevalent in MTB races. I've done a few already including the Argus MTB. We usually approach the race organisers beforehand to get "permission" to take part. We have not been refused entry so far, as far as I know.

So to the OP, a unicycle was in front of you on some single track. What do you usually do when trying to pass someone going down some single track ? Try bomb past and then blame the rider for your lack of experience when things go wrong ? Clearly the guy on the Uni was working harder than you just keeping it on the trail.

I'd have to agree with Turbo with all his responses to you in an earlier post.

I'm sorry, but according to race rules you should not be there, maybe have your own race on the day with other unicyclists. If these organisers are clearly bending the rules, who is gonna be responsible for any injuries or god forbid a death.

Who will be saying sorry then? :o

There are a couple of mtb events that runners do, the shorter ones though, like a 20km, there was a guy at tru-cape who ran the course.

Actually I'm ok with runners and unicyclers racing with mtbers - as long as they start behind me!

I'm OK with uni on the route...it's just those flailing arms that gets me...never know when he's gonna punch you in the face...