Think Bike!

Peloton Piet

All this proves is that we all act like a bunch of knobends on the road, no what mode of transport we're using at any given time.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My father in law is a passionate biker, part of a club and rides every weekend, and yes I am sure he does not always do 60km/h, especially if my mother in law is on the back!

He told me that he does not ride in the Cradle any more because of these idiots.

So I really do not have any issues with bikers, but if you decide to ride like a bat out of hell and as a joke try to scare me...then it becomes an issue.

If you are doning 800km/h taking a chance with your own life, just make sure that I am not part of your game.

I am also not saying that it was a rider of the think bike group...I am just saying...THINK BIKE

Edited by Peloton Piet

My father in law is a passionate biker, part of a club and rides every weekend, and yes I am sure he does not always do 60km/h, especially if my mother in law is on the back!

He told me that he does not ride in the Cradle any more because of these idiots.

In his words..."hulle is somme n klomp "partytjie woord"-e.

So I really do not have any issues with bikers, but if you decide to ride like a bat out of hell and as a joke try to scare me...then it becomes an issue.

If you are doning 800km/h taking a chance with your own life, just make sure that I am not part of your game.

I am also not saying that it was a rider of the think bike group...I am just saying...THINK BIKE

Yes well,that's an unfortunate heading.....please change it.

I have always said it,and i will say it again, these kinds of speeds are reserved for a racetrack, where they can obliterate themselves at highspeeds at their own peril, in controlled circumastances.

Same goes for a guy in a ferrari doing highspeeds on the same stretch of road.

My problem with highspeed on public road: when it affects innocent people, who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

same with motorbike wheelying on public roads etc.

if i or my family is involved in an accident as a result of any of the above tjoppy behaviour, they better hope i am physically unable to retaliate.

Yes i do own a motorcycle.

One day I was on my motorbike. I saw a bakkie jumping a red traffic light.

A few kilometres down the road - I saw another bakkie in a serious accident.

There was no way I could feel sorry for that bakkie driver' date=' because the other bakkie jumped the red traffic light.

So I went home, rolled a joint (you know us typical biker types - we all do that) and imagined all these Think Bakkie stickers all over the place.

I felt so scared I almost started crying.

Those Think Bakkie people must phone all the bakkie owners and have a stern chat with all the bakkie drivers in the country.

The smashed bakkie's engine was still warm, and he surely wasn't doing the speed limit. Even though I didn't see the accident, or know anything about it. Damn Think Bakkie.

Personally all the bakkie drivers in the world who drive around JHB irritate the Sh*&%ts out of me.

I want to go home and hug my teddy now.

Anyone else feel the same?[/quote']

I am a biker, and I agree with this guy's statements 100%.

Ride like a box (translate to afri), and I feel no sympathy. Hey, I am all for riding like it's stolen, (cant' wait to get my Yammy Tenere 660) but if you put other's lives in danger by your actions, in my books that labels you as an inconsiderate biker = tjop :thumbdown:

Also, like the OP saw, you are bound to come short if you ride like a tjop.

100% agree. I do 122.8km MINIMUM per weekday (just to get to work and back) and there are ampl guys on the highway with me that ride big bikes the way i do (reasonable speed) and then those that ride like fools. Same with the cars - the idiots who you see a few km later wrapped in the barricades (ps N14 has just had a whole lot of the metal barricades replaced following a few bad smashes the last 2 months). You also get the bad cyclists who cycle like tjops.

The biggest problem is a non-biker views ALL bikers as if they are tjops, a non-driver (or anti-driver) sees ALL drivers as if they are tjops and a non-cyclist sees ALL cyclists as tjops.

Classic case of "when I do right, no-one remembers, when I do wrong no-one forgets"

As long as any "lack of sympathy" is reserved for those of ALL groups who deserve it then I grant you that viewpoint (and agree with you)

TNT, lemme guess - AMZ or Richardvz?

Richard of course. Snorted my juice through my nose when I read that :lol:

Peloton - the Hilux... the next Navara I see is toast I tell you, TOAST - they come with automatic blinkers to ensure that the blind spots are never checked. Saw one almost take out a Mazda sedan with mother and child on way home yesterday. Bugger didn't even apologise to the lady!

Can we not make some sort of an arrangement with the police?

If the police know we are riding bicycles in the cradle on weekend mornings then they should increase visibility and speedtraps in that area. Just by doing that the bikers will eventually either be more carefull or move to an area like Harties etc..... nobody likes speedfines or being fined for not having a numberplate on their bike.

There is no way we can convince all road users to be responsible, it will never work, but by doing the above and sketching an image of the cradle being well watched by police, things should get better?

I'm in the middle!!!! Love everything on two wheels!! Have a number of bikes of both persuasions, Super, Tourers, Mtb and Road, and spend alot of my time on my bicycles and motorbikes. I had this exact conversation at News after Sundays Breakfast Run.

D2D was on and there were thousands of cyclists out there!

The Motorcyclists were throwing chirps about the cyclists and vice versa! The one side moans about speed and closeness and the other about not holding lines and riding 2, 3 and 4 abreast! The most dangerous as far as I'm concerned from the cyclists side are rookie cyclists looking behind them and swinging out, while the chops on motorbikes buzzing cyclists at high speed take the cake on the otherside!

It's all a matter of respect which is sadly lacking in this country. Compromise is a word that does not exist in many peoples vocabulary, yet it is the only way to go forward. We were against the flow of the race on Sunday and took it slow all the way to the T-Junction where the cyclists turned right just past Maropeng. Once we weren't travelling against the race, the throttle cables were pulled and we rather hastily continued on our merry way!!! ;)

We all share something in common, and that's the freedom of the open road and the wind in our hair, be it at 20-80km/h or 100-300km/h. You get chops on bicycles and chops on motorbikes, but I am pleased to say that these chops are the minority!

Neither motorcyclists nor cyclists can can lay claim to "The Cradle" roads. That is the sole privilege of the residents! (Looks for emoticon to denote "sarcasm")

ThinkBike is there for everyone on two wheels, and does a helluva good job marshaling and looking after both sides. The awareness campaign has had a massive effect on cages and is a major success, but as I said, you are still going to get the "boxes"!

If one of your mates pulls a stunt or gets out of line,sort him out, and let's realise that we're going to have to share.

P.S. Those speedbumps on Kromdraai are more like "Tabletops"!

I'm going to post this on the TB Forum as well.

Safe ridind all!

Can we not make some sort of an arrangement with the police?

If the police know we are riding bicycles in the cradle on weekend mornings then they should increase visibility and speedtraps in that area. Just by doing that the bikers will eventually either be more carefull or move to an area like Harties etc..... nobody likes speedfines or being fined for not having a numberplate on their bike.

There is no way we can convince all road users to be responsible, it will never work, but by doing the above and sketching an image of the cradle being well watched by police, things should get better?

just remember, the cops will (good luck getting this across to them) have to reprimand cyclists for not riding single file as the law prescribes.

Peloton - the Hilux... the next Navara I see is toast I tell you, TOAST - they come with automatic blinkers to ensure that the blind spots are never checked. Saw one almost take out a Mazda sedan with mother and child on way home yesterday. Bugger didn't even apologise to the lady!

Thanks, then it will be a Hilux with a "Think Bakkie" sticker on the bullbar and a "Think Brakkie" sticker on the back for the Rotweilers. :)

About two weeks ago I did a sunday morning ride in the Cradle loop. Nothing serious, just a relaxing ride to get away from it all.

On two occasions a motorbike passed me with speeds around 200km/h. :angry: I was cycling alone on the day and I kept to the left of the road, but for some reason these chops came by so close that I was almost knocked of my bike. It was pretty obvious to see that they were changing their line to pass me as close as possible. Fifteen minutes later an ambulance passed me, and I though maybe someone had an accident at Teak place or something, another ten minutes passed and next to the road was a crashed superbike in pieces...there was no rider in sight, the bike was a mess and the engine was still warm...I found it hard to have any compassion for the rider who crashed there earlier as i could see that he was most definitely not doing 60km/h and just enjoing the scenery.

My point is as follows:

Everywhere there are these yellow "Think Bike" stickers to increase awareness and safety of cyclist and bikers, but maybe some bikers, especially the ones in the Cradle should be more considerate towards cyclists.

Personally the bikers driving around in the Cradle irritate the sh%$ out of me.

Has anyone had the same experience?

Think Bike is a request. At best we can distribute stickers, hang banners and ask other road users to be considerate. Some will and some won't. Some will be in cars, while others will be on bikes. Unfortunately, that is life as we know it. Some people are just downright inconsiderate, but keep in mind that their mode of transport is purely coincidental.

Personally, I feel compassion for someone who is injured, or worse, dead. Even if the injury or death is a result of his own making. We are all, after all, human and screw up all the time. Nobody deserves serious bodily harm or death, because they did something stupid.