Why I'm done with road cycling

rudi-h

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Littering is unfortunately not only limited to roadies...went for a spin at Helderberg farm a couple of days after the XC races and the amount of gel packets I picked up on the XC course made my blood boil.

Sadly not attending races is not going to change the attitude of those who choose to live like pigs. Fortunately or unfortunately I cannot keep quiet when I see guys chucking their rubbish on the ground...if they take offense I don't give a crap I am not the one in the wrong.

Cyclist like you give roadies a bad name.... You seem to be arrogant, self centered and full of it. Look at yourself and your actions and decide if you are making a contribution or not. There is enough people slipstreaming.......

Oooh! Ouch!

./sarcasm.

If you want to leave littering behind you, I am sorry to be the one to tell you that you won't do it at MTB events.

I used to have an issue with the gel sachets as if you put them back in your racing bib after using them, they would create one hell of a mess... especially the chocolate outrage. I did however never litter. The new Vooma gels with the toothpaste caps have sorted out my problem.

I for one is totally against littering and feels that part of what a cyclist do is because he loves (or is supposed to) the environment. I also have a background of trial running etc so you could almost call me a bunny-hugger.

I do however have a suggestion as I do not see this problem being resolved as some assholes will forever keep on littering as they are bigger than the sport. Too many roadies are like that (maybe because there are so many doing this sport in relation?). I also had an issue with a guy at D2D trying to explain to me the rules of keeping your line whilst wearing earphones and an I-pod.

Anyways my suggestion is that the organisers include a litter service in the entry fee. In other words the pigs should at least ensure their *** is thrown on the road and not into the veld. Then a sweeper vehicle can maybe pick up the crap afterwards and all is hopefully well that ends well.

I was horrified when we road the Argus route by car the day after the race, to see how the roads were littered with these sachets :thumbdown:

I used to have an issue with the gel sachets as if you put them back in your racing bib after using them, they would create one hell of a mess...

I put them underneath my shorts(where your leg comes out just to be clear), works quite well.

People who litter irritate the living **** out of me, but not entering the races won't solve the problem. A penalty / fine system will. Unfortunately that takes organisation and effort, while some race organisers are only interested in collecting fees and spending as little as possible. (This is not a dig at D2D organisers, I thought it was a really good race, but the amount of litter was disgusting).

As for road closures, it's never going to happen, and if it did, it would irritate motorists even more than having to put up with a traffic jam at an intersection. Imagine if roads were closed practically every weekend in summer for cycle races, motorists would go crazy. Racing on the road is, in my opinion, much safer than training alone on the roads like I do on a regular basis, so for me it makes no difference.

I put them in my shirt pocket, it is going to be washed after the ride anyway .... at least mine is :rolleyes:

Edited by BigBen

Take your gels out the left pocket, put the goo back in the right ...

Yes, it's sif when people throw gel packs down. Sheer laziness and the "I'm so important, so focussed, such an A-type personality" prevalent these days. I suppose it gives municipal cleaners something to do though, justifying their recent pay hike. Or some of us could ride the route again, armed with long sticks and a nail at the end. Like bike polo. Most gels packs on the end wins.

As for bunches, I ride by myself in a race. I feel it's safer, and I just don't feel comfy doing around 30km/h next to someone who may or may not be a terrible driver and hence a terrible rider. My race may be a bit harder, but then I'm only racing against my previous time. Nobody says you have to ride in a bunch.