Why I'm done with road cycling

rudi-h

Take your gels out the left pocket, put the goo back in the right ...

Yes, it's sif when people throw gel packs down. Sheer laziness and the "I'm so important, so focussed, such an A-type personality" prevalent these days. I suppose it gives municipal cleaners something to do though, justifying their recent pay hike. Or some of us could ride the route again, armed with long sticks and a nail at the end. Like bike polo. Most gels packs on the end wins.

As for bunches, I ride by myself in a race. I feel it's safer, and I just don't feel comfy doing around 30km/h next to someone who may or may not be a terrible driver and hence a terrible rider. My race may be a bit harder, but then I'm only racing against my previous time. Nobody says you have to ride in a bunch.

+ 1...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to leave littering behind you, I am sorry to be the one to tell you that you won't do it at MTB events.

??

Sure?

Or are those Gel Sachets that managed to remain 'under the cuff' when they were full, then suddenly "just fell out over the bumps !", when they were sticky and empty excusable?

Edited by The Drongo

How about this angle... :P

I hate it when people litter with carbon dioxide. That's me included. I actually thought I'm greener with my bicycle, but if you include driving to races, etc. then we actually drive around more (read litter more) when we cycle. Ironic, but true.

"In cities across the globe, the personal automobile is the single greatest polluter"

Oh, but if you can't see it, it doesn't matter?!

How about this angle... :P

I hate it when people litter with carbon dioxide. That's me included. I actually thought I'm greener with my bicycle, but if you include driving to races, etc. then we actually drive around more (read litter more) when we cycle. Ironic, but true.

"In cities across the globe, the personal automobile is the single greatest polluter"

Oh, but if you can't see it, it doesn't matter?!

I litter with carbon dioxide (a lot) during a race, but I litter with carbon monoxide when I drive. But maybe that's just me.

I litter with carbon dioxide (a lot) during a race, but I litter with carbon monoxide when I drive. But maybe that's just me.

Na mate, useless information but CO2 is the main emissions component from a vehicle and has a direct relationship to fuel consumption. CO is dependent on the combustion process and its efficiency and a few other factors. CO is actually a very small component of emissions these days.

Take your gels out the left pocket, put the goo back in the right ...

Yes, it's sif when people throw gel packs down. Sheer laziness and the "I'm so important, so focussed, such an A-type personality" prevalent these days. I suppose it gives municipal cleaners something to do though, justifying their recent pay hike. Or some of us could ride the route again, armed with long sticks and a nail at the end. Like bike polo. Most gels packs on the end wins.

As for bunches, I ride by myself in a race. I feel it's safer, and I just don't feel comfy doing around 30km/h next to someone who may or may not be a terrible driver and hence a terrible rider. My race may be a bit harder, but then I'm only racing against my previous time. Nobody says you have to ride in a bunch.

Yip I agree with the whole left to right idea and just to add that I keep a clear plastic "sandwich" bag in my right pocket and then just slip the litter in there when its done. Saves the mess of remaining gu with very little hassle.

Other riders do tend to judge me when I'm licking the sandwich bag clean after the race tho. ;)

Why am I done with road cycling:

Motorcars. Somehow I always seem to be playing chicken with on coming traffic. On the way to a Rooiwal race cars passing other cars simply did it without any care for un coming traffic (me). Having to squeeze past potholes and a broken shoulder of the road, just to survive was stress enough.

Other cyclists: It is amazing that full road closure is not forced by law in South Africa. Cyclists think that if it is a road race then the entire road(both sides of the road nogal)belongs to them. having guys cycling over the solid white line (snorting the white line) is just too freeky, especially when there is oncoming traffic over the blind rise.

Other cyclists performance enhancers. THe days of a stiff double brandy (or rum and coke) on the start line are long past. Now there are energy sachettes, designer supplements, after race proteins and the mythical drug called "training". It is all too much, how can anyone have a job, family, friends, watch rugby AND cycle competitively? I know that in order to compete you need to prioritise, but "training" "riding in the ice cold morning" "gym with my cycling buddies", "cycling on the rollers" and "racing" just are not as important as family, friends, WORK, and eating fatty foods.

If you do not stop littering this is what SA will look like soon. I have seen this myself, a wall one meter high on the highwater line. 20 million people in Lagos drink at least two liters of water per day (very much the same as energy satchets) and dumps them right there on the road. Those who are insensitive to taking action on littering may have to explain to their grandchildren why our beaches now looks like this!

post-24908-0-37858300-1315429939.jpg

Lyk soos Diepsloot "by die see". :thumbdown:

Yip I agree with the whole left to right idea and just to add that I keep a clear plastic "sandwich" bag in my right pocket and then just slip the litter in there when its done. Saves the mess of remaining gu with very little hassle.

Other riders do tend to judge me when I'm licking the sandwich bag clean after the race tho. ;)

well then I have bad news because you'll be judged just for saying that here too.. :lol:

I don't know about you guys, but when I take a gu I squeeze out every last drop.

And so i don't mind if its in my pocket cos there's nothing left to be messy.

Yeah, leave TNT alone, he is trying to make a difference.

./sarcasm

Yeah, I don't litter, I obey all the laws I encounter, and I don't cry to some randomn starngers cause someone else littered, and I didn't stop to pick it up. The OP should grow a pair, and start being part of the solution, instead of complaining about the problem.

./sarcasm

Yeah, I don't litter, I obey all the laws I encounter, and I don't cry to some randomn starngers cause someone else littered, and I didn't stop to pick it up. The OP should grow a pair, and start being part of the solution, instead of complaining about the problem.

./sarcasm

Duh, violins... he is part of the solution, he has brought it to our intention. Or was that not written to your satisfaction, what should he have said instead? ... Whoa, you don't mean he should have done MORE than what he has already tried.

On this discussion we have already heard of people who are appalled by the state of how things are, have lost the will to confront because it always ends in rage and now the OP is being told not to bring these issues to the people, some of whom are are guilty and are now reading about it in their living room, on the Hub.. Let's hear a whoop brothers and sisters!

ZAP IT IN THE ZIBBY!

I don't know about you guys, but when I take a gu I squeeze out every last drop.

And so i don't mind if its in my pocket cos there's nothing left to be messy.

See, here is a solution.

Thanks Zac, who likes the taste.. a lot.