Show us your pets

tunariaan

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Deon has the tissue damage now stopped spreading and it's a matter of treating and removing the damaged tissue. How much use of his feet is he likely to have?

Is there anything we can do to assist, will he need funds for any sort of prosthesis?

If there is anything we can do please shout I feel so bad for Juno and you and I take my hat off to you for not giving up on him.

Aww I love this thread - so many good hearts here.

Juno is getting nice new leather shoes & Deon is sending me his Bubblegumers!! :clap:

If this carries on I'll be showing you my one pet spread over multiple posts..

FFS, that's a full toe gone!!

post-13110-0-42309800-1400076020_thumb.jpg

:eek: Dude - i cant stop staring at that.

I know its terrible, but its just so weird. Poor Juno. It makes me feel better to know it doesnt hurt him when that happens because the tissue is already dead.

You need to read him a Ranulf Fiennes book for inspiration - he is still a legendary explorer & he has loads of digits missing - even snipped one off himself... :blink:

PS. what does one do with toes when they fall off? Seems silly to throw them away, but I suppose you cant really keep them like teeth either....

So Deon has the tissue damage now stopped spreading and it's a matter of treating and removing the damaged tissue. How much use of his feet is he likely to have?

Is there anything we can do to assist, will he need funds for any sort of prosthesis?

If there is anything we can do please shout I feel so bad for Juno and you and I take my hat off to you for not giving up on him.

Gosh thanks but I'm fortunately able to cover the expenses. The prosthesis should be free through the prison in-mate crafts programme, I'm going to ask Oscar to work on some toes..

Correct, only healing taking place now. Suffice to say it is still extremely sensitive so he is really limping around but he looks to make a good recovery - he needs to, he's the OCD Jonty Rhodes of dogs.. you can't even whisper "pinecone", guests soon realise I'm not joking!

DJR offered some booties he made from leather a while ago, they are seriously tough and long lasting. I remember them from when he rode with his dog Coco, they protected her feet from the tar. Thanks again Dawid!

Oh man, the Hub! Thanks guys!!

Aww I love this thread - so many good hearts here.

Juno is getting nice new leather shoes & Deon is sending me his Bubblegumers!! :clap:

Yes indeed. A special breed of people reside here!

:eek: Dude - i cant stop staring at that.

I know its terrible, but its just so weird. Poor Juno. It makes me feel better to know it doesnt hurt him when that happens because the tissue is already dead.

You need to read him a Ranulf Fiennes book for inspiration - he is still a legendary explorer & he has loads of digits missing - even snipped one off himself... :blink:

PS. what does one do with toes when they fall off? Seems silly to throw them away, but I suppose you cant really keep them like teeth either....

hahahah! I was told last night to remove it from the lounge windowsill.. ^_^

Ed: just checked, it's still there.. ai ai, I'm gonna get in trouble!!

Edited by Pain or shine

Someone does not understand why she cannot come inside after digging a big hole in the garden. Covered in mud, look at the nose!

Ah...a pooch with Labra(hole) in the blood...they can't help themselves. They like little boys with clean clothes coming across puddles, must absolutely jump in the puddle no matter what!

Ah...a pooch with Labra(hole) in the blood...they can't help themselves. They like little boys with clean clothes coming across puddles, must absolutely jump in the puddle no matter what!

Labra-Collie-a-la-SPCA-special.....This is the "big hole" story...Jemima digs up the moles, but does not kill them, she carries them around by the scruff of their necks and licks them like little puppies. Plays mom for an hour or so and then lets them go......to dig them up and make a new hole for a new day.

Labra-Collie-a-la-SPCA-special.....This is the "big hole" story...Jemima digs up the moles, but does not kill them, she carries them around by the scruff of their necks and licks them like little puppies. Plays mom for an hour or so and then lets them go......to dig them up and make a new hole for a new day.

Hahahahahaha! You have to try get a vid of that!

Sorry to be miserable this morning but this post on Facebook got to me it is from Animal Welfare Helderberg, a very important message for those that still breed their pets or haven't had them sterilised. Please adopt from shelters don't buy puppies.

post-268-0-08348500-1400135500_thumb.jpg

Tonight I write a little something from the heart. Today we had to say goodbye to some of our kennel dogs. And tonight as I sit here and write this, the tears roll down my cheeks and my heart is VERY sore. They may not have been my own dogs, but I loved them like they were. Some of the dogs had been at our kennels for close to a year, and were as special to me as my own dogs at home. People are quick to judge and slam us for euthanizing our dogs, but when we receive an astronomical amount of dogs through our doors and the kennels are FULL – what must we do? Our kennels do not believe in turning dogs away – if we do, where will they land up? At the rubbish dump or in the street? We play Sudoku on a daily basis, shuffling and re-shuffling our dogs in their kennels, trying to squeeze in an extra one here and an extra one there, trying to free up a kennel for one more dog. But we never seem to win and from where we sit at the kennels, and with all the unwanted, abandoned, stray, neglected and abused animals coming through our doors, there really doesn’t seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel. And yet people still breed and breed and breed. And there are still more people that don’t care, than people who do. If you think it’s easy for us to make these decisions, it’s not. It’s more than heart wrenching. It’s painful. And it hurts. Not temporarily, but eternally. Even though we at the kennels are NOT to blame for this, we feel responsible. We grow to love these animals and we are the ones left with the emotional heartache. Tonight, I want to say something to our special Bonzo, who was one of the dogs we said goodbye to today. Dear Bonzo, Susan and I loved you from the day we met you. You crept into our hearts faster than we ever imagined. When you arrived at our kennels, we saw the hurt in your eyes and the aching in your heart. And though you were petrified of us at first, you learned quickly to trust us and always put a smile on our faces. You went from scuttling away from us, to running up to us. You went from hiding behind trees, to jumping up for kisses. Deep in our hearts we knew we wouldn’t be able to find you a new home but we didn’t stop hoping for a miracle. In your short life time, too much damage had been done and your heart was too hurt. But we tried and we tried and we tried. Sorry we failed you my boy. Sorry we couldn’t give you the happy ending that we wanted, and though we are not the ones to blame, we do feel responsible. Though you are no longer with us – you have left deep foot prints in our hearts and we will lovingly remember you forever more. Go well boy, till we meet again.

That is such a sad story.

I was out cycling on Tuesday evening with my wife. For about 4kms we were followed by an amazing dog. Border collie crossed with something, but such a gentle natured dog.

We thought it was out for a stroll initially but eventually stopped.

It has an Animal welfare tag on so we took it to the nearest vet who told us he was a regular.

Shocking that some people just cannot look after their pets.

That is such a sad story.

I was out cycling on Tuesday evening with my wife. For about 4kms we were followed by an amazing dog. Border collie crossed with something, but such a gentle natured dog.

We thought it was out for a stroll initially but eventually stopped.

It has an Animal welfare tag on so we took it to the nearest vet who told us he was a regular.

Shocking that some people just cannot look after their pets.

Sometimes you have to do what you can do. Most people would have just left that dog.

Here is one I see regularly on my rides, he lives at the bottom of the dirt road that runs down past Mount Grace so if anyone is riding in this area and has an old sarmie in their pocket please give it to this dog, I am taking a checkers bag of dog food (tied on my bike!) up there this afternoon and always take him Beenos when I am going that way.

It makes me pretty sad when I see this dog and he is standing waiting for me wagging his tail, if I didnt have 7 at home I would have just taken him!

The picture looks bad but at least he always has water and some scraps of food and I convinced the owner (Staff at Boys Town) he needed to build/make a kennel for the dog (he wants it for security but the dog sleeps outside some distance away from the owner, proper duh there!). And there is an old bit of blanket in there, I will try and buy a cheap blanket from Pep this month for the dog (after cutting it up so it doesnt end up going somewhere else!).

post-12678-0-39348100-1400156208_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mojoman

Petcube

Have you ever wanted to see what your dog is up to while you're at work? Or talk to her? How about play with her? The Petcube allows you to do all three. It is a box that contains a wide-angle HD camera, a microphone and speakers and a pet-safe laser pointer. While you're away, you can watch and hear what she's up to, talk to her through the speakers, and of course, get a game of laser chase going, all through your phone. The goal is to not only stay connected with your pet while you’re gone, but also to get them active while you’re away so they aren’t sleeping the entire time you’re at work. And of course there is a mobile app so you can share photos of your pet going bonkers with the laser pointer or, perhaps, getting into mischief while they think you aren’t looking. It's apparently a well-loved idea since the team reached a jaw-dropping $251,225 raised on its Kickstarter campaign, which had a goal of just $100,000. You can pre-order the device for $199 and it ships August 2014.

post-1604-0-68763700-1400213515_thumb.png

10 next-gen tech tools for dogs

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/gadgets-electronics/stories/10-next-gen-tech-tools-for-dogs

Guest Kalahari ou

Sorry to be miserable this morning but this post on Facebook got to me it is from Animal Welfare Helderberg, a very important message for those that still breed their pets or haven't had them sterilised. Please adopt from shelters don't buy puppies.

post-268-0-08348500-1400135500_thumb.jpg

Tonight I write a little something from the heart. Today we had to say goodbye to some of our kennel dogs. And tonight as I sit here and write this, the tears roll down my cheeks and my heart is VERY sore. They may not have been my own dogs, but I loved them like they were. Some of the dogs had been at our kennels for close to a year, and were as special to me as my own dogs at home. People are quick to judge and slam us for euthanizing our dogs, but when we receive an astronomical amount of dogs through our doors and the kennels are FULL – what must we do? Our kennels do not believe in turning dogs away – if we do, where will they land up? At the rubbish dump or in the street? We play Sudoku on a daily basis, shuffling and re-shuffling our dogs in their kennels, trying to squeeze in an extra one here and an extra one there, trying to free up a kennel for one more dog. But we never seem to win and from where we sit at the kennels, and with all the unwanted, abandoned, stray, neglected and abused animals coming through our doors, there really doesn’t seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel. And yet people still breed and breed and breed. And there are still more people that don’t care, than people who do. If you think it’s easy for us to make these decisions, it’s not. It’s more than heart wrenching. It’s painful. And it hurts. Not temporarily, but eternally. Even though we at the kennels are NOT to blame for this, we feel responsible. We grow to love these animals and we are the ones left with the emotional heartache. Tonight, I want to say something to our special Bonzo, who was one of the dogs we said goodbye to today. Dear Bonzo, Susan and I loved you from the day we met you. You crept into our hearts faster than we ever imagined. When you arrived at our kennels, we saw the hurt in your eyes and the aching in your heart. And though you were petrified of us at first, you learned quickly to trust us and always put a smile on our faces. You went from scuttling away from us, to running up to us. You went from hiding behind trees, to jumping up for kisses. Deep in our hearts we knew we wouldn’t be able to find you a new home but we didn’t stop hoping for a miracle. In your short life time, too much damage had been done and your heart was too hurt. But we tried and we tried and we tried. Sorry we failed you my boy. Sorry we couldn’t give you the happy ending that we wanted, and though we are not the ones to blame, we do feel responsible. Though you are no longer with us – you have left deep foot prints in our hearts and we will lovingly remember you forever more. Go well boy, till we meet again.

I've long been thinking of getting a friend for my jack russel to play with (and one that will be more intimiating to burglars) - something like a boerbul...

any idea where in upper highway area / durban I can go have a look at dogs anyone?

Guest Kalahari ou

Sometimes you have to do what you can do. Most people would have just left that dog.

Here is one I see regularly on my rides, he lives at the bottom of the dirt road that runs down past Mount Grace so if anyone is riding in this area and has an old sarmie in their pocket please give it to this dog, I am taking a checkers bag of dog food (tied on my bike!) up there this afternoon and always take him Beenos when I am going that way.

It makes me pretty sad when I see this dog and he is standing waiting for me wagging his tail, if I didnt have 7 at home I would have just taken him!

The picture looks bad but at least he always has water and some scraps of food and I convinced the owner (Staff at Boys Town) he needed to build/make a kennel for the dog (he wants it for security but the dog sleeps outside some distance away from the owner, proper duh there!). And there is an old bit of blanket in there, I will try and buy a cheap blanket from Pep this month for the dog (after cutting it up so it doesnt end up going somewhere else!).

post-12678-0-39348100-1400156208_thumb.jpg

Hell, this is not right! maak my sommer die moer in!

I've long been thinking of getting a friend for my jack russel to play with (and one that will be more intimiating to burglars) - something like a boerbul...

any idea where in upper highway area / durban I can go have a look at dogs anyone?

SPCA boet, many good dogs wanting a family again...they'll work for food and love for free!

Guest Kalahari ou

SPCA boet, many good dogs wanting a family again...they'll work for food and love for free!

that makes sense,... should have thought of that myself :blush: