Show us your pets

tunariaan

Getting a dog from a breeder means nothing its all about getting the bloodlines perfect and for about 4 generations back.

Unfortunately staffies en sheepdogs were bred too much in sa without getting good genes in to make the genetics better

Spot on, i checked back 6 generations with my boy to see before i bought him. A lot of dogs in SA are interbred a bit too much.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a post I wish I didn't have to make. I had to bid farewell to Tumbleweed yesterday. He became violently ill, and we had to give in after his brave fight against the cancer. I will miss him. The best dog ever.

Sorry to hear this. Going to miss his pick on here.

Getting a dog from a breeder means nothing its all about getting the bloodlines perfect and for about 4 generations back.

Unfortunately staffies en sheepdogs were bred too much in sa without getting good genes in to make the genetics better

I am no expert in breeding and thought I was making the right decision!

Unfortunately thats the way we all learn including myself..

My first pure bred Rottie i got from a good 'breeder'

We though she was great only to find out later she looks more like a Doberman than a Rottweiler.

We had KUSA papers and all..so if we really wanted we could have bred with this dog because she had papers ect..knowing what i know now and looking at her paper she was a inbred from Benoni

All kinds of funny family business. .lol

She is still with us..she is such a mellow dogs with everything..after 18month her first knee ligaments went..we did the op and replaced ligament with mono..then one year later the second one.

I learned my lesson the hard way

Thanks for all the messages. Will get around to thanking you all individually. Just struggling a wee bit at the moment - and have my sons to deal with. I really appreciate all the support.

A few years ago i couldn't imagine life with a dog...

Now i can't imagine life without my Buksie... Al is hy n klein bliksem

I sommer get teary eyed if i think about what you are going through...

I keep these little guys in the mountain streams of the Cape, free as fish :) , but I visit them regularly. They give me a bloody hard time, pretending that they are afraid and they don't know me. It takes all my sneakiness to catch them, just to say hello before I let them go again. ;)

post-17716-0-38845200-1414818595_thumb.jpg

Reading all this comments about breeders makes my blood boil :cursing: I hate nearly all breeders. They are the reason we are sitting with such a huge problem in shelters. I personally feel that breeders should be held responsible for there dogs ending up in shelters.

In a perfect world, there would be laws against breeding. Laws that will make sure that all these back yard breeders, and most of the other registered breeders gets put to an end.

But like I said, in a perfect world...

post-14677-0-64296500-1415100684_thumb.png

Reading all this comments about breeders makes my blood boil :cursing: I hate nearly all breeders. They are the reason we are sitting with such a huge problem in shelters. I personally feel that breeders should be held responsible for there dogs ending up in shelters.

In a perfect world, there would be laws against breeding. Laws that will make sure that all these back yard breeders, and most of the other registered breeders gets put to an end.

attachicon.gifkeep-calm-and-adopt-don-t-shop.png

It used to be that you needed a license to breed dogs,

if they just had to re-instate that it would help a lot.

My wife and i were heavily involved in the SPCA for some time and this was one of the things we pushed hard to no end.

Most people just dont care about animals at the end of the day.

I disagree about the most breeders part, backyard puppy mills are not breeders.

Spot on, i checked back 6 generations with my boy to see before i bought him. A lot of dogs in SA are interbred a bit too much.

Quite a few of the staffies had genetic eye problems and hip problems, so background checks are super important.

I love all dogs but none come close to a staffie.

Unfortunately thats the way we all learn including myself..

My first pure bred Rottie i got from a good 'breeder'

We though she was great only to find out later she looks more like a Doberman than a Rottweiler.

We had KUSA papers and all..so if we really wanted we could have bred with this dog because she had papers ect..knowing what i know now and looking at her paper she was a inbred from Benoni

All kinds of funny family business. .lol

She is still with us..she is such a mellow dogs with everything..after 18month her first knee ligaments went..we did the op and replaced ligament with mono..then one year later the second one.

I learned my lesson the hard way

KUSA papers dont mean much unfortunately, there are no inspections done and all the breeder needs to do is apply for them.

That normally happens with "breeders" though.

attachicon.gifkeep-calm-and-adopt-don-t-shop.png

Back yard breeders, irresponsible people and mills make my blood boil too.

A responsible breeder that has infrequent litters is not such a bad thing though. They do strict house checks and if anything happens to the dog they will have an autopsy performed to make sure there isnt a problem with the breed. They have a place in maintaining breeds.

I always wanted a staffie so our first dog was bought from a breeder, but our second one was adopted from the SPCA, the same as my parents and wife's parents dogs.