Show us your pets

tunariaan

Sheldon being reunited with Django

fter a two-year separation, the ­moment war dog Django spotted his best friend and handler Sheldon Holland through the gates of Johannesburg’s quarantine kennels, his ears pricked up.

With fur bristling, Django bolted ­towards Holland the second he was released.

Tail wagging and tongue flailing, Django flew into the open arms of an emotional Holland and showered him with slobbery kisses and playful nips.

The Pietermaritzburg local and former American K9 explosives handler had been paired with the German Shepard in Kandahar, Afghanistan, four years ago. The pair had immediately formed an unbreakable bond.

Working side by side for 18 months, the two became inseparable and when Holland finished his contract with the AMK9 unit, he promised his furry friend that he would one day live with him in South Africa.

After two years of separation and a lengthy, complicated process, Holland was told last week that the best friend he thought he would never see again was finally on his way to South Africa.

Tears man, you made me cry! Thanks

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheldon being reunited with Django

fter a two-year separation, the ­moment war dog Django spotted his best friend and handler Sheldon Holland through the gates of Johannesburg’s quarantine kennels, his ears pricked up.

With fur bristling, Django bolted ­towards Holland the second he was released.

Tail wagging and tongue flailing, Django flew into the open arms of an emotional Holland and showered him with slobbery kisses and playful nips.

The Pietermaritzburg local and former American K9 explosives handler had been paired with the German Shepard in Kandahar, Afghanistan, four years ago. The pair had immediately formed an unbreakable bond.

Working side by side for 18 months, the two became inseparable and when Holland finished his contract with the AMK9 unit, he promised his furry friend that he would one day live with him in South Africa.

After two years of separation and a lengthy, complicated process, Holland was told last week that the best friend he thought he would never see again was finally on his way to South Africa.

A lot of handlers land up taking on a dog that they worked with, first time I have seen a video like that though, very moving.

If you're interested in working dogs you should read this book about it, very interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/Trident-K9-Warriors-Training-Battlefield/dp/1250041813

What a beautiful colour Kitty is.

And? What's the diagnosis?

Well he cut it off with about 3mm gap so she has a much smaller tongue - but cats have to have as much tongue as possible - dogs can live with a half a tongue but not cats. Too sore and swollen to look but he was happy and she is eating soft food ok.

Pathology will come back next week only and then we will know the worst or the best - they also check to see if all was cut out properly ie unbroken margins.

He had to take out 2 teeth as well - she was under anyway so made sense.

Shame I think she is a bit gatvol of being manhandled tho the Doc was very nice and gentle.

Stretch - cute story!

Hey guys, please spare a thought for Squamish. I got home last night from hospital - my mother's in ICU after a knee op - to find his leg badly cut up, tendons and ligaments severed. I have to make a decision on what we are going to do with him in the next couple of hours.  

Hey guys, please spare a thought for Squamish. I got home last night from hospital - my mother's in ICU after a knee op - to find his leg badly cut up, tendons and ligaments severed. I have to make a decision on what we are going to do with him in the next couple of hours.  

Oh man sorry to hear Barry

Which leg

Holding thumbs for you both

Oh no, what do think happened?

Thanks, Jack, it was his front leg.

Nix, the first vet to see him last night said she thinks he was slashed by a knife. I searched my garden this morning by torchlight to find anything it could be, but couldn't find whatever it could be. A neighbour of mine once jabbed him with a cattle prod. He's the likely suspect if a knife was involved.

Edited by Tumbleweed

Not good Tumbles.

Hope Squamish will be ok, and that you find out who the perp is that injured him (and dole out the same in retribution)

Thanks, Jack, it was his front leg. Nix, the first vet to see him last night said she thinks he was slashed by a knife. I searched my garden this morning by torchlight to find anything it could be, but couldn't find whatever it could be. A neighbour of mine once jabbed him with a cattle prod. He's the likely suspect if a knife was involved.

Wow!!!

Why would your neighbour do such a thing?

He needs a beating

Thanks, Jack, it was his front leg. Nix, the first vet to see him last night said she thinks he was slashed by a knife. I searched my garden this morning by torchlight to find anything it could be, but couldn't find whatever it could be. A neighbour of mine once jabbed him with a cattle prod. He's the likely suspect if a knife was involved.

That's just evil.

Hope he heals up well, post some pics to freak out the weak ones on theHub.

strongs bud

Hey all, thanks for the messages. The issue with the neighbour is long-running. He waged war on me and his other two immediate neighbours over our dogs some time back. I'll never be able to prove he did anything. But this matter will be sorted out... 

Anyway, the vet just called to say Squamish is going under the knife for the second time this morning. Holding paws!   

That's just evil.

Hope he heals up well, post some pics to freak out the weak ones on theHub.

Hahaha! I wish I could, but it was quite hellish getting him into the car and then into the vet's the other night. If I get stopped and searched by cops this weekend, I may have some explaining to do about the bloodstains all over the car.  

Edited by Tumbleweed