What is in a bike service?

Garfield2010

Not sure where you take your car but mine is cleaned and vacuumed after a service at no extra charge, perhaps find another garage if yours does not.

Do they remove the "1997 XYZ High school rugby and netball weekend" bumper sticker? or trim the little rubber bits left from molding on your tyres?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is this, "race ready" I hear many people talk of "racing"

To race ,means to up the ante, the bike might take a little more abuse under those conditions, but not much more than on a regular training ride.

Yeah, you should prepare your body and mind to race a bit more than the bike...

Are you deliberately missing the point? The shop can choose what is included, and what isn't, and the customer can choose what shop to go to? Fair?

Sorry i'm naive i thought every shop did it, never found one that did not.

Never to old to learn.

I have ten thumbs and a tendency to break things that I try fix. Having said that, I think being able to service your own bike must be a big money, if not time, saver.

Is there any "bike servicing bible" available? Also, do any shops stock "service your own bike" type toolkits?

Do they remove the "1997 XYZ High school rugby and netball weekend" bumper sticker? or trim the little rubber bits left from molding on your tyres?

Ummm no :unsure: , but i do have a silver bell on my MTB which they shine :thumbup:

I have ten thumbs and a tendency to break things that I try fix. Having said that, I think being able to service your own bike must be a big money, if not time, saver.

Is there any "bike servicing bible" available? Also, do any shops stock "service your own bike" type toolkits?

Park tool blue book and the net has been the best resources for me thusfar, case and point would be to type in google "servicing a hope pro 2 hub" and you get your answers.

I also sometimes dont feel or know how to service forks/pivots/shocks. I take it to the mech and specify what I want done, he then charges for labour and materials. PS I don't expect my bike to be washed or for anyone to work on it if its dirty, I have no problem if the mech charges me over and above for the bike wash before he can start working on it.

I have the Park Tool "Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repairs". Great book and nicley laid out.

http://www.parktool.com/product/big-blue-book-of-bike-repair-second-edition-BBB-2

Not sure where you are located but Solomon's in Woodmead have them.

Edited by Pusher

snip

If I pay R500 for a service I would expect the speedo meter to work and a clean bike at least.

I worked hard to get my bike as filthy as possible. I'd take great offence to an LBS cleaning it. Also, if you use a speedometer you are not going fast enough or you are too serious. Fixing bikes is a fun part of riding them, and most of use love working on our bikes. I trust my bike because I know it like the back of my hand.

So I just spend an hour in the garage race prepping a HT.

I removed, cleaned, inspected and regreased the:

1. Headset

2. BB (XT)

3. Rear wheel hub axle and cassette.

4. Jockey wheels

I also lightly oiled the stanchions, front and rear der and the pedals. EDIT: And cleaned the rear der cable and very, very lightly oiled the cable.

Add to that about 30min to wash it.

Edited by The real MJ

Guest agteros

* removing tape and stickers are/should be part of a good service, shows they paid attention to what they were doing

And then the next bloke will slam them for removing their Cape Epic/whatever race stickers....

So I just spend an hour in the garage race prepping a HT.

I removed, cleaned, inspected and regreased the:

1. Headset

2. BB (XT)

3. Rear wheel hub axle and cassette.

4. Jockey wheels

I also lightly oiled the stanchions, front and rear der and the pedals. EDIT: And cleaned the rear der cable and very, very lightly oiled the cable.

Add to that about 30min to wash it.

Did you include the mounting for the loud hailer so you can shout slower folks off the race route?

Miskien kan die dude wat die bike incheck luister wat ek se? Ek het gevra hulle moet dit afhaal nes ek gevra het om die speedo reg te maak.

Ek dink dit sal die maklikste wees om `n kursus by te woon waar hulle jou fisies in `n werkswinkel leer om jou fiets te diens.

Weet iemand waar so iet beskikbaar is?

Ek kan nie glo die mense gaan so te kere nie? EK betaal R500. Vat `n lap en maak die bliksemse fiets skoon. Knip die garings van die wiele af want hulle hoort nie daar nie - ek betaal jou om my fiets in optimum kondisie te kry, nie om die ratte skoon te maak en hom netso terug te gee nie. Vee asb die grease merke van die raam af want dis `n padfiets. Trek halwe stickers af want obviously lyk dit crap. As jy twyfel VRA my.........

Miskien kan die dude wat die bike incheck luister wat ek se? Ek het gevra hulle moet dit afhaal nes ek gevra het om die speedo reg te maak.

Ek dink dit sal die maklikste wees om `n kursus by te woon waar hulle jou fisies in `n werkswinkel leer om jou fiets te diens.

Ek kan nie glo die mense gaan so te kere nie? EK betaal R500. Vat `n lap en maak die bliksemse fiets skoon. Knip die garings van die wiele af want hulle hoort nie daar nie - ek betaal jou om my fiets in optimum kondisie te kry, nie om die ratte skoon te maak en hom netso terug te gee nie. Vee asb die grease merke van die raam af want dis `n padfiets. Trek halwe stickers af want obviously lyk dit crap. As jy twyfel VRA my.........

Die sticker removal is nie deel van die gewone diens nie. Sal jy bereid wees om daarvoor te betaal?

You haven't cleaned your bike in SIX MONTHS? :blush:

Do you take a bath often?

Edited by Kerneels

cut cut cut

Johan from www.yellowsaddle.co.za do these courses

Now you see, that is where I don't agree with you. Lets say the mech quotes me 500 labour for the servicing of components I specified. I bring the bike to him and its clean, no problem. If I bring it to him dirty he must spend an additional 30minutes to get it to a state where he can work on it. Its not part of the quote thus he can charge over and above for it and he won't be ripping me off. Your expectation is different to what he regards as optimal, don't take a chance with this and specify what you regard as optimal