What is in a bike service?

Garfield2010

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my bike back from cyclelab yesterday with someone else's chainguard on it :) (whatever you call that sock that goes around the thing that stops your chain from slapping the crap out of your frame)

* wont service my bike myself, like I wont format the pc myself or change the timing on my car. there are people better equipped to do it

* removing tape and stickers are/should be part of a good service, shows they paid attention to what they were doing

* sometimes, you take the same problem from one LBS to another until someone gets it right, as I had to do this time (cyclelab's solution is normally to replace anything you complained about, but this time it DID solve a gearing problem that three visits to other lbs did not fix)

cut cut cut

* removing tape and stickers are/should be part of a good service, shows they paid attention to what they were doing

* sometimes, you take the same problem from one LBS to another until someone gets it right, as I had to do this time (cyclelab's solution is normally to replace anything you complained about, but this time it DID solve a gearing problem that three visits to other lbs did not fix)

I dont agree, you are setting yourself up for dissapointment with this outlook. What you regard as a good service might be different to what I think a good service it, nevermind what the mech thinks it is, assumptions and confusion galore.

Go to a mech, ask him to change, fix and service individual components, dont expect anything more or less. When I go to JB I ask to do A, B and C...I then pay for this. I dont expect him to remove stickers and give my wheels a buff. I haven't been dissapointed thusfar since he knows what I want done, and I know what I want serviced/fixed. Simple really

Just fix your bike yourself. The bicycle is hardly rocket science to work on. Very simple mechanics, and you need very few tools to do it. Even suspension. I don't trust these bike shop 'mechanics'. Too many hacks

I'm a mechanic. I service/repair bikes. I thoroughly clean everything I work on - components/cables/bearings etc. Bike wash (if necessary) is charged for as an extra. I will not repair electronics, apart from checking the installation. Big difference is that I make this clear upfront when you bring the bike in.

Why would cleaning a bike be extra charge, this should be part of the service.

For one I am capable of fixing bikes, however should I do it for someone, I wouldnt remove any stickers. How is the mech supposed to know what they are for. However I have too experienced and no matter what LBS you take you bike to, most times it comes back and the computer doesnt work. Coming back to the service issu, if you take your car in for a service, do you expect the mechs to take off any stickers and remove any dings?

In my opinion the days of "conventional" bike servicing are over. How do you service a bike with sealed wheel bearings, sealed headset bearings and sealed BB bearings? Smear a thin line of luminous grease on the threads and charge the same as if they were all servicable ball bearings? I check the bike over with the owner, LISTEN to what he needs done, fix the issues and charge accordingly. Bike valet service takes time and I charge for time.

Maybe the mechanic didn't understand your mix of languages....seriously, pick one. :P

On a more serious note: learn to work on your own bike. It's more than just saving money and getting something done right - it's also about getting to know your machine. You'll be more comfortable riding it knowing that you know how to fix it if something breaks, and if something doesn't work properly, you only have yourself to blame. There will be frustrating moments, but you'll feel an even bigger sense of achievement when you're rolling down the trail and your bike is smooth, quiet and set up just the way you like it to be.

100% Agree!!!

In my opinion the days of "conventional" bike servicing are over. How do you service a bike with sealed wheel bearings, sealed headset bearings and sealed BB bearings? Smear a thin line of luminous grease on the threads and charge the same as if they were all servicable ball bearings? I check the bike over with the owner, LISTEN to what he needs done, fix the issues and charge accordingly. Bike valet service takes time and I charge for time.

My LBS includes bike clean on all services, relates to nothing more than cleaning the frame,wheels and components from mud/oil etc takes no more than 10 min. Sometimes when their shop is quiet and i pop on my bike they will give it a free wash and lube.

Why should it? Surely each bike shop is entitled to define what it covers and what it doesn't cover in a standard service? Much the same way as a garage defines what a car service is and what it covers at what price.

Hi guys

Disclaimer "I will critisize and piss on a few things I do not like. If you feel that I artt going to faar then please go crawl under your bed and then kontact the webmaster (aka admin) and vlieg in jou moer. No animals were harmed during this ontleding van watdeffok diens is.......

So back to the point.

Bike is taken in due to gear failure. I ask for a basic service. I make sure they know about 2 little issues namely the GEARS and my speedo meter which cuts out whenever I go above 40km/hour.

Got the bike back, speedo doesnt work at all???

WTF?

Anyways I am yet to test the gears and I am sure they will work (as they are cleaned and new cables installed), but how the hell can you miss a few simple things?

My bike went in with a few pieces of "insulaton tape" still stuck to the frame> and half an Argus sticker as well. They did not clean that. When I got it back my wheels had strings stick out all over the place (not saying it was not there before (I didnt notice maybe) but sheese cut it off???) All I ask is groom my bike and that should include make it like I want to ride my bike?!! Dis soos my vrou as sy vir haar haar ding gaan wat meer kos as 3 maande se entry fooie. Jy lose al die pad maar ten minste kan jy iets ry vir 'n slag?

Anyways gee julle kommentaar

Dude. Couldn't understand half your rant, or half your spelling.

So to answer your question...

Some necessary tools. A work area, and some applied knowledge = D.I.Y.

Then you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Dude. Couldn't understand half your rant, or half your spelling.

So to answer your question...

http://www.evenews24.com/riverini/other_guys/pointless.jpg

And, so is this:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachments/off-topic-discussion/76206d1237429990-pointless-thread-we-discuss-anything-11oct29-panties-work-any-season.jpg

Why should it? Surely each bike shop is entitled to define what it covers and what it doesn't cover in a standard service? Much the same way as a garage defines what a car service is and what it covers at what price.

Not sure where you take your car but mine is cleaned and vacuumed after a service at no extra charge, perhaps find another garage if yours does not.

Edited by scotty

Not sure where you take your car but mine is cleaned and vacuumed after a service, perhaps find another garage if yours does not.

Are you deliberately missing the point? The shop can choose what is included, and what isn't, and the customer can choose what shop to go to? Fair?

Point taken. I will buy a book and read up on it.

The thing is just that as it stands now I dont have time or the interest to service it myself. I am the opposite of what you would call a handyman. Normally I break stuff.

I like to ride my bike, not service it.

If I pay R500 for a service I would expect the speedo meter to work and a clean bike at least.

I want my bike back "race ready" nothing more and nothing less. If there are some major issues they can phone me and ask permission to replace parts.

So on another note...... How come would my speedo cut out when I go over 40km/hour? It basically goes to zero until I go slower again....

I want my bike back "race ready" nothing more and nothing less. If there are some major issues they can phone me and ask permission to replace parts.

What is this, "race ready" I hear many people talk of "racing"

To race ,means to up the ante, the bike might take a little more abuse under those conditions, but not much more than on a regular training ride.