Dog leash for bicycle

Stevief

Stevie make sure you wear a Go Pro camera on your helmet while taking your dogs for a ride. You could become the next You Tube sensation, and don't forget to do a deal with a TV station before posting the clip....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This must work if it is able to keep this wild beast under control!

http://www.springeramerica.com/images/website%20gallery%20pics%2011152009/img_7639.jpg

Hi Stevief, I take my two huskies every second to third day for a 5k run down the beach on my mtb, using a retractable 5m leash system for big dogs, holding it with my left hand and steering and breaking the bike with my right hand. Each husky is wearing a dog harness and from each harness I have a one meter rope connecting to a mountaineering clip and attached to the one end of the leash system. What is nice about this way of running them, is that they run about 5 - 6 meters in front of you and that you can regulate the speed and direction or sudden movements of the huskies, the only downside is that I replace my disc brake pads on the back more often than necessary, but the dogs just absolutely love going on a run and they pull me up to speeds of 35km/h. I wouldn't recommend tying them down to your bike, cause you have very little control. Good luck.

That would be nice but my major problem with that is my male staffie is pretty agressive to other dogs so i wouldnt want him on a long leash , he is the one that will pull sideways if i get to close to another dog , hence why i like this spring system as he is close by and cant go far. Also to ride with one hand wouldnt be a good idea. I just hope this spring system is strong enough to contain him when he sees red and charges sideways , my female is an angel she could ride with me on a piece of string need to control the psyco killer.

That would be nice but my major problem with that is my male staffie is pretty agressive to other dogs so i wouldnt want him on a long leash , he is the one that will pull sideways if i get to close to another dog , hence why i like this spring system as he is close by and cant go far. Also to ride with one hand wouldnt be a good idea. I just hope this spring system is strong enough to contain him when he sees red and charges sideways , my female is an angel she could ride with me on a piece of string need to control the psyco killer.

I have a lab and have taken her around the block a couple of times with the "leash in hand" method. This at least gives you the chance to let go if you really have to.

From a practical stand point the "spring system" is nice while the spring is being pulled and is still stretching ... once past the stretch point then you will be following the staffie in a sideways manner.

Now I don't know just how strong and long the "spring sytem's" spring is, but I do have my reservations. As mentioned by another poster the skate board idea seems interesting, but then you would first have to master basic skill sets here before proceeding.

First off i live in Cape town not Jozi so i have many areas where i can ride/run them ..eg promenade , table mtn road , table mtn off rd etc. I am still sceptical if this could work as my hounds are very strong so i will need to test it out somewhere first. But if it does work it will save me many minutes and make my the beasts very happy

Stevie, just a word of warning. You are NOT allowed to ride a bike on the promenade. Strictly forbidden. Just so you know...

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/101041-the-annual-cycle-expo/page__st__40

Check out the last page of that thread, that is exactly what you are looking for bru!

I was so impressed with their clever contraption, I almost went and bought a dog :D

There is also an emergency release system, so if doggy decides to go on the other side of the tree or lamp post, the leash is quickly released, leaving your face tar free and able to chase after doggy on your still upright bike! :clap:

Edited by Tankman

Guest Africa Spring

I am looking to buy a dog leash type contraption/bracket with spring to run my dogs on my MTB. I have 2 staffies that are very powerful and i cant just tie them to the bike as the first dog they see will have me and my bike dragged down the rd. Apparently i saw at the Argus expo last year someone selling a bracket for a bike with a spring on it that absorbs the dogs energy when they suddenly bolt in a direction. Does anyone know of this product or have any suggestions for me.

Edited by Africa Spring

Guest Africa Spring

I have a lab and have taken her around the block a couple of times with the "leash in hand" method. This at least gives you the chance to let go if you really have to.

From a practical stand point the "spring system" is nice while the spring is being pulled and is still stretching ... once past the stretch point then you will be following the staffie in a sideways manner.

Now I don't know just how strong and long the "spring sytem's" spring is, but I do have my reservations. As mentioned by another poster the skate board idea seems interesting, but then you would first have to master basic skill sets here before proceeding.

Hi Hairy

The spring wont pull you side ways, not matter how hard the dog pulls. It is special tempered steel, hand made in Norway, the spring is patented. The spring is also mounted under your saddle, thus, the dog is attached to your center of gravity, making it hard to pull you side ways. If the dog does pull it to the max, there is a safety release that will break, before you get pulled off the bike. All in all, it is the safest option when biking with your dog.

Edited by Africa Spring

Guest Africa Spring

This must work if it is able to keep this wild beast under control!

For all of you who live in Cape Town, Sterling, the owner of Revolution Cycles in Bree Street, has a Springer, and he also made a video in Green Point park, with his Staffies on the Springer, and was very impressed with the product.

If you have any doubts about the product, swing my Revolution Cycles and have a chat with Sterling.

I so need one of these for KD! Little guy hates the leash but loves running next to my bicycle (which therefore limits our rides to the dog park). Maybe next year after I have bought all my touring stuffies.

Stevie, just a word of warning. You are NOT allowed to ride a bike on the promenade. Strictly forbidden. Just so you know...

I Know i will ride on the black path by beach rd parallel to the prom

Start running with the dog on a short lead, but taking an aggressive dog for a walk on your bicycle is looking for trouble.

Next thing he breaks loose... Rather walk him and cycle with the calm female. Keep in mind other dog owners don't need their dog being chewed up etc...

My dog was recently attacked and she was really traumatized. Imagine a border collie being bitten 12 times by 2 fully trained rottweiler guard dogs who now live in a residential area. Worst thing was I couldn't do anything as the dogs were also after me so I was kept busy defending myself.

Edited by Scott 1

Start running with the dog on a short lead, but taking an aggressive dog for a walk on your bicycle is looking for trouble.

Next thing he breaks loose... Rather walk him and cycle with the calm female. Keep in mind other dog owners don't need their dog being chewed up etc...

My dog was recently attacked and she was really traumatized. Imagine a border collie being bitten 12 times by 2 fully trained rottweiler guard dogs who now live in a residential area. Worst thing was I couldn't do anything as the dogs were also after me so I was kept busy defending myself.

Jeez ... scary story!