Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

Give Champix a go you have got nothing to lose and plenty to gain.

As for a twist that is like Alcohol free beer.... whats the point

This^

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From smoking almost two packs of 20 a day, I'm down to around half a pack of 20 a day. Just need to get a few new coils for my Twisp, then hopefully I should be A for away.

Edit: I was thinking of going the Champix route, but I'm not 100% sure about the side effects.

Nicotine is a bastard (It was easier for me to stop drinking than smoking) and going to electronic cigarettes does not resolve the problem. You are still addicted which is the issue.

Used Champix for a month but my head was ready.....I am a free man today and so can you.

Good luck :thumbup:

Nicotine is a bastard (It was easier for me to stop drinking than smoking) and going to electronic cigarettes does not resolve the problem. You are still addicted which is the issue.

Used Champix for a month but my head was ready.....I am a free man today and so can you.

Good luck :thumbup:

Still a bit weary of the side effects of Champix. I might give it a try and see how it goes, thanks for the encouragement though.

Still a bit weary of the side effects of Champix. I might give it a try and see how it goes, thanks for the encouragement though.

The first time I quit with Champix I was okay. After using it again a while later it made me crazy, I did not have happy thoughts. Try it but mabey keep like a diary or something.

What is the side effects of smoking? :whistling:

Just yanking your chain a bit. We (humans) have no control over nicotine, we think we do but we do not. Think of all the times you have smoked when you did not want to, or think of all the times you tried to quit. Insane really.......

Once you admit that nicotine is your boss and stronger than your best effort, then the solution comes. Weird how it works but it does, trust me on this one.

:thumbup:

What is the side effects of smoking? :whistling:

Death?

UltraRunner_ZA hit the nail on the head.

Edit: saying that, at the moment I think I'll take my chances with a few cigs (then eventually be reliant on the Twisp) rather than dealing with the possible side effects from Champix.

Edited by WeekendWarrior80

• 5 months later...

:nuke: Smoking combined with anything is not an option...............never start and if you want to quit hats off to the person trying, I hope and wish you manage to do it.

If you want to justify smoking and all its negative impacts, I feel sorry for you  :excl:

http://cycling-passion.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Fausto-Coppi-Gino-Bartali-Cigars-Toto-al-Giro-Italia.jpg

c0c6f0783bcc93c3076c56f0bbbf25d9.jpg

to give up smoking

1 You have to WANT to give up

2 Your head has to be in the rite place.

3 Don't give up if someone else Wants you to/

It is pointless to even try and give up if you don't have these basics in place.

So true

Just yanking your chain a bit. We (humans) have no control over nicotine, we think we do but we do not. Think of all the times you have smoked when you did not want to, or think of all the times you tried to quit. Insane really.......

Once you admit that nicotine is your boss and stronger than your best effort, then the solution comes. Weird how it works but it does, trust me on this one.

:thumbup:

Anyone can stop smoking as long as they want  to and commit to taking action. When my son was born, my wife requested I stop smoking in his presence. It then became a work habit but that attributed to me smoking less then usual and before long I managed with less then 5 a day. Became easier at that point to call it quits, so one day just stopped. All earlier attempts to go cold turkey were not very successful. Getting off a 15/20 a day habit is hectic. I'm clean going on 28 years now.

Hey guys. I have been following this thread for a few months now and you guys have really inspired me. I have been smoking for 14 years, almost half of my life which is flippin scary.

The last 2 years I left my ciggies at home and did not smoke at work. Then lately I would not touch a smoke during the week, only during weekends when socializing. I thought that I was managing it well, but I would still smoke myself silly when I was having alcoholic beverages.

So long story short, I got my first course of Champix on Tuesday and have not had a smoke since last Sunday. I am really amped to stop smoking to improve my well-being. I want to be fitter and rather put more effort into my riding.

My non-smoking riding buddies have always been a few steps ahead regarding fitness and endurance. I have set myself a few new goals which I will reach without the bad habit of smoking.

So thanks for all the advice, and wish me luck.

:D