Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

The best thing I ever did was never start! Proud to say ive never even tried it.

Well done to those that have stopped, your bodys will thank you for it....

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have enjoyed reading this thread.

I do not smoke nor have I ever smoked. However, my mom was a VERY HEAVY smoker all my life and over the past 5 years I watched her whither into nothing, reliant on full time oxygen and eventually succumbing to emphysema last September.

If any smoker thinks that putting themselves and their families through that torture is worth a puff on a cigarette you are very mistaken.

It is like watching someone die of cancer only worse because you can't choose to have cancer but you do choose to smoke.

To those of you who have quit - kudos to you! Well done! You have bought yourselves and your families precious time together. For those of you still on the fence.........call me....... I will explain just how hard and traumatic it is as a child to watch your parent die from suffocation because they can't breathe any more! IT IS NOT WORTH IT!

Edit: spelling

Edited by Bianchi Baby

I smoked heavily for about 28 years, and then on and off for 10 years, but finally stopped after suffering a stroke. This is probably the longest I have been without a ciggi since I was 12 or 13.

I did enjoy a cigar or strong cigarette, and often smoked menthol ones to - but I must admit, after the craving is gone and the "what do I do with my one hand at a party / bar" is resolved, you will thank yourself.

I do miss the smokers corners though, they have better jokes and seem to friendlier peeps :)

But seriously - stop! - stopping it is worth more to you and your loved ones than winning the lottery and you are the one calling the numbers:) I keep reminding myself that I started smoking because of childishness and a need to look cool and handsome and don't need that any more:)

I smoked a pack a day for 15 years. Stopped 3 years ago when I started riding. Was an overnight decision. Didn't struggle.

However. After 4 beers I have a smoke in hand. If I get drunk enough I'll smoke a whole packet.

Next day, nothing, no cravings. Won't touch it again for months, till I get drunk again! ????

• 4 months later...

howzit quitters?

I'm coming up on my 4 year anniversary 

not a single skyf not a single craving

Stupidly I started again this year after 5yrs of stopping. Stress of exams after 16 years of not doing any! Would go outside for a coffee and a smoke during 'study time'! 

Trying to quit again though. Almost a week free...

Stupidly I started again this year after 5yrs of stopping. Stress of exams after 16 years of not doing any! Would go outside for a coffee and a smoke during 'study time'! 

Hang in there Mojoman! 

I'm almost 3 years free after stop/starting a couple of times. I just remind myself how lousy it is 'need' a smoke, how nice it is to wake up without the smoke taste in your mouth & not having the smoke smell on your hands...these three reminders keep me smoke free!!

Vasbyt - don't go back there - not worth  it . (Mini hijack - haven't been on for a while - was it you looking for job in IT security - searched but no find - if it is PM me I got a contact you can try)

Edit: Still a quitter - 7.5 yrs on :D 

Edited by Uni

Hi guys, also still staying clean this side. Hadn't had a cigarette now in almost 3years and of the E-sig for almost 2years.

Had a bit of temptation this weekend though, attended the wedding of an old friend. Had a cigar stuffed in my hand for old time sake and I must say it was hard to say no. Ended up just posing for photos with it unlit and then passed it on to someone else.

I really don't wanna go down that road again!

To every quitter here, stay strong guys, you're not alone.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just over a year and I have no cravings at all. As soon as I realized that cigarettes actually did nothing good for me , I finally dropped the smokes and never touched another drag. Was drinking that weekend and no issues . If your head is right , you won't miss it for a second.

1st week done again. Need to see this through now this time.

byt vas Pieter.

jy weet jy kan

dis my anniversary maand. from 60 a day to ZERO for for years now

Topic a bit disappointing. Expecting to hear about people cycling & smoking simultaneously. Seen it done!

1st week done again. Need to see this through now this time.

Hang in there it gets easier as time goes along.

Just DONT put one in your mouth