Slowbee

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys

Just to update my progress.

The Champix is working very well, I am in my 4th week. Since I started the Champix, I have had some of the many, stated in the pamphlet, side effects such as dizziness, nausea, headaches, dry mouth and anxiety. I must say that these side effects only occurred a few times irregularly.

At the moment the only side effects I am experiencing are excess energy, improved smell, improved fitness and improved health. I feel great!

My GP said that it is advisable to do at least two courses of the Champix, which I will do to make sure that I have kicked the habit.

It wasn't all smooth going though, the first weekend I smoked a few and was super nauseous the next day. For the last 2 weeks I smoked 1 after having many many beers, luckily I can't remember that one so then it didn't happen, right? I is still tough after I had a few drinks and the party is rocking, but I tend to forget about the habit after a few minutes.

Good luck to the rest of you who's still trying to quit. Stay strong guys!

Cheers 

Hi guys

The Champix is working very well, I am in my 4th week. Since I started the Champix, I have had some of the many, stated in the pamphlet, side effects such as dizziness, nausea, headaches, dry mouth and anxiety. I must say that these side effects only occurred a few times irregularly.

At the moment the only side effects I am experiencing are excess energy, improved smell, improved fitness and improved health. I feel great!

My GP said that it is advisable to do at least two courses of the Champix, which I will do to make sure that I have kicked the habit.

It wasn't all smooth going though, the first weekend I smoked a few and was super nauseous the next day. For the last 2 weeks I smoked 1 after having many many beers, luckily I can't remember that one so then it didn't happen, right? I is still tough after I had a few drinks and the party is rocking, but I tend to forget about the habit after a few minutes.

Cheers 

i also quit with champix

I finished the first course and started the second (i think I drank it for about a week)

I stopped drinking the tablets due to the morning sickness.

I've been smoke free for 4 years

Funny how this pops up today on trending forums. I was just thinking today if there is support for this, perhaps a forum of sort and here it comes up on my favourite site. So bikes and smoking support.

Last Monday I had to have an op on my sinus due to persistent headaches for 4 weeks before that, some that had me man down. Last smoked 09:00 of that Monday. I don't really know if I was ready to quite as I still feel like smoking. Smoking made up part of my routine and now it seems like I am missing it a bit even though I have wanted to quit since my daughter was born (4 years ago), especially for her. So now I am using a Twisp to try and get over that urge. I need a bit more coffee now and lozenges help a bit also. To be honest the Twisp doesn't feature much but I bought it to appease the nicotine craving. Its so bad though it would make me completely quite. Unfortunately I can't use any other prescription drugs.

I must say, everything smells and tastes different now, and I feel better on my bike even though its still only a week after my op. My lungs don't burn as much anymore, only my legs and they can go longer than my lungs.

Stay clean people! Stay strong. I'm fighting hard

Funny how this pops up today on trending forums. I was just thinking today if there is support for this, perhaps a forum of sort and here it comes up on my favourite site. So bikes and smoking support.

Last Monday I had to have an op on my sinus due to persistent headaches for 4 weeks before that, some that had me man down. Last smoked 09:00 of that Monday. I don't really know if I was ready to quite as I still feel like smoking. Smoking made up part of my routine and now it seems like I am missing it a bit even though I have wanted to quit since my daughter was born (4 years ago), especially for her. So now I am using a Twisp to try and get over that urge. I need a bit more coffee now and lozenges help a bit also. To be honest the Twisp doesn't feature much but I bought it to appease the nicotine craving. Its so bad though it would make me completely quite. Unfortunately I can't use any other prescription drugs.

I must say, everything smells and tastes different now, and I feel better on my bike even though its still only a week after my op. My lungs don't burn as much anymore, only my legs and they can go longer than my lungs.

Stay clean people! Stay strong. I'm fighting hard

you've passed the 7 day barrier already, you'll be fine.

when you feel like a smoke, just get up and walk around for a few minutes (it worked for me)

and just keep reminding yourself of this

everything smells and tastes different now, and I feel better on my bike even though its still only a week after my op. My lungs don't burn as much anymore, only my legs and they can go longer than my lungs.

you've passed the 7 day barrier already, you'll be fine.

when you feel like a smoke, just get up and walk around for a few minutes (it worked for me)

and just keep reminding yourself of this

Thanks man! Will do! Fizz pops also help. Hahaha

I have replaced smokes with nicorettes for about 6 months. Need to get off of the gum now... Keep well quitters!

One step closer Pieter.

You've done it before, you know you can ????????????

Guys if you understand the simple mechanics of smoking you will be done with it for life.

It is a simple addiction and needs to be treated as such. Know the every time you light up to relax, actually makes your aniexty worse as the second you put that smoke out, your Body immediately starts freaking out wanting to replenish its nicotine supply. It's is a vicious circle of crap. Been smoke free for 5 years and it is the best thing I have ever done.

Fight it hard and forget the silly cravings. Good luck to everyone beginning their smoke free lives

The mind is a powerful thing, but addiction is too.

Quitting is therefore a mental battle. That's all that it is. It's the same as when you're climbing that steep hill and you're engaged in mental battle to endure the pain and push to the summit. 

All you need is motivation and good influences.

The mind is a powerful thing, but addiction is too.

Quitting is therefore a mental battle. That's all that it is. It's the same as when you're climbing that steep hill and you're engaged in mental battle to endure the pain and push to the summit.

All you need is motivation and good influences.

Exactly right, it's far easier to smoke 'one more' than to fight that mental battle.

I'm on day 4 and I've gotta say I feel good but it's bloody difficult. Can't wait until that weekend ride because my sinus is clear for the first time in years.

If you really want to enjoy cycling, then smoking has to go.  But that's a good thing, because cycling will keep you off the smokes.

I quit 2 or 3 times and started up again, once after nearly 2 years - proper stupid.  I then started MTB, and could not get up the smallest hill without wheezing, coughing and snorting like an asthmatic warthog.  But the riding bug had bitten, and I hated not being able to keep up with people who were hopelessly unfit and out of shape.  I also badly wanted to have a go at a stage race, and knew that I could not carry on smoking, and so I stopped.  That was 4 years ago, and I think I am now safe.  Use your cycling as your motivation.  Set riding goals like doing really tough races or long distances or hectic climbs.  The satisfaction you get from achieving these constantly reinforces the decision to stop smoking, and reduces the risk of relapse, or so it happened in my case.  Good luck smokers, and its never too late to chuck the twakkies.

To add to your motivation, remember that if you quit before you get a smoking related illness,  you almost certainly will not get one.  Don't leave this too late, or you will really learn the true meaning of regret.

Always, always remember you are an addict...I stopped for almost 6 years, had some personal stress in my life, took a smoke one night when feeling pretty low down and bang....started smoking again. Almost 15 months on and I think  its time to stop again. I dont feel the effects too much on the bike but when running its pretty obvious I am a smoker!

This thread is awesome! Well done guys and thanks for the support. I suppose for each of us our relationship with nicotine is different but to quit it we all go through the same process. I always imagine some fat evil looking guy lauging at all his cash while I wither away because of my adiction. That puts me off. Also the smokers room at work is something that I hate being in, kind of like a smokers room on an air-port. I enjoy being active so much more now and I get sick less often. Smoking really is like a ball and chain.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I have been following this thread for a few months now and you guys have really inspired me. I have been smoking for 14 years, almost half of my life which is flippin scary.

The last 2 years I left my ciggies at home and did not smoke at work. Then lately I would not touch a smoke during the week, only during weekends when socializing. I thought that I was managing it well, but I would still smoke myself silly when I was having alcoholic beverages.

So long story short, I got my first course of Champix on Tuesday and have not had a smoke since last Sunday. I am really amped to stop smoking to improve my well-being. I want to be fitter and rather put more effort into my riding.

My non-smoking riding buddies have always been a few steps ahead regarding fitness and endurance. I have set myself a few new goals which I will reach without the bad habit of smoking.

So thanks for all the advice, and wish me luck.

:D  

You go Boy.

Hi guys

Cheers 

From 25 plus a day I quit to Zero with only once course of Champix.

It is in you head once you have stopped