Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped for 2 years, unfortunately it caused an increase in stress and anxiety. As a result I started having trouble sleeping and that slowed down my healing process causing muscle fatigue as well as weakened immune system. I was on the verge of giving up cycling. Started smoking in December, 3 days later I was back on the bike and everything felt great. Sleeping pattern change, haven't been sick since and my legs feel stronger. 

I am not saying smoking is good, we all know it's bad, but in my case, I feel i'm better off sticking to it. 

Also, checked my training stats, (not smoking = high cadence, high average heart rate) (smoking = low cadence/more torque, lower average heart rate)

Conclusion, I would rather have the legs vs the lungs and no legs.

I stopped for 2 years, unfortunately it caused an increase in stress and anxiety. As a result I started having trouble sleeping and that slowed down my healing process causing muscle fatigue as well as weakened immune system. I was on the verge of giving up cycling. Started smoking in December, 3 days later I was back on the bike and everything felt great. Sleeping pattern change, haven't been sick since and my legs feel stronger.

I am not saying smoking is good, we all know it's bad, but in my case, I feel i'm better off sticking to it.

Also, checked my training stats, (not smoking = high cadence, high average heart rate) (smoking = low cadence/more torque, lower average heart rate)

Thats interesting! Even in the two weeks that I quit I am much faster on my runs and recover much faster. I am getting sick tho but I think it is because all of my kids have snot noses... I find I sleep better and feel well rested when I wake up.

I've never really had withdrawal symptoms but I think its all a mental thing. I smoke on and off and tend to feel weaker and more lethargic when smoking vs when I stop I feel healthier and stronger.

Also once you start climbing the seeding ladder and riding in the front bunches its k@k being the guy gasping for air while everyone is just sitting comfortably.

But yah, I agree, taking a puff every now and then is lekker.

^This, it becomes a mental game after the first 2 weeks.

Avoid drinks with mates because that is the easiest way to fail.

3 months was the next hurdle for me, brain was telling me I have beaten it so no big deal to have one because it wouldnt be a problem... that carried on for a while!

Living in a dry country makes it a bit easier. However we are traveling for a bit in a month and that will be a test for me. But I’m sure I’ll be fine.

13 days after quitting (did have 8 chain smoked ciggs on Monday after a particular bad day) and I can honestly say I feel an improvement lung/ breathing wise when running.

Can't wait to test the happy lungs on my fiets this weekend.

Thanks for the "group support"!

I must add that I started when I was 10 and stopped at 34.

Hahaha! G’s man. How on earth did you start that young? I was 14 and am now 35.

FWIW the stats from the NHS (UK) are as follows- 

smoke and stop in your 20's - has no measurable impact on your health or mortality

..stop in your 30's - life expectation is 1 year less

..stop in your 40s - you lose a decade.

so basically if you've turned 40 its time to quit. Well done to the guys who have managed to give up.

Hi All.

Everyone still surviving? I"m gonna have to find something other than jelly babies and toffees to help me survive, otherwise I'm gonna have to join the "weight challenge" as well.

Any suggestions? (that does not involve cucumber sticks...)

Smoked for 20 years and Allan Carr course helped me to quit. I have quit now for almost 10 years and it is amazing not to smoke.

There is no argument in favor of smoking. It is just an insane nicotine addiction that can be beaten. I had to get my head around the fact that nicotine is a very addictive substance and it was ruling me. All the other stuff around the habit of smoking was just that...stuff.

Physically you cannot crave a cigarette unless you smoke one, then the nicotine monster wakes up and you want more. Once the nicotine is out of your system you physically cannot crave it but now your head tells you that you are craving. Vicious circle! :cursing:

Good luck if you are trying to quit. It is worth it. Oh yes, and you will get sick as your sinuses and lungs are starting to clear themselves after years of abuse. It is what it is.

:thumbup: