Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow will be eleven years for me. The attached book " Never take another puff " was a game changer for me. I gave up smoking cold turkey and never smoked again.

I hope this book can also help someone else.attachicon.gifNTAP_large_print_212_pages.pdf

Thanks, going to read this tonight...I did stop for 6 years odd, had a personal crisis some years back..was at a low point in life and I had a smoke....

And that was that again sadly...

What they say is true...once an addict...always an addict....

Edited by Mojoman

Not cycling related but my wife had a heart attack 12/12/2019 ... She was a lifetime smoker, both her parents died from heart related disease.

Having seen the devastating effect it had on our kids, grandchildren, family and friends she vowed there and then to stop and hasn't touched a cigarette since then thankfully!

She has recovered without any major problems I must add [emoji16]

Not cycling related but my wife had a heart attack 12/12/2019 ... She was a lifetime smoker, both her parents died from heart related disease.

Having seen the devastating effect it had on our kids, grandchildren, family and friends she vowed there and then to stop and hasn't touched a cigarette since then thankfully!

She has recovered without any major problems I must add [emoji16]

my biggest fear - my wife smokes and jokes that my fondness for lycra is a problem

I did a 100km gravel grind from the sterkfontein caves to Magalies and back on Sunday........there was a smoker who puffed away at every stop they took( every 10 km or so, we eventually did our own thing )

WTF !!!!

Nobody got it ! If you ( the smoker or a cycling smoker are reading this )

YOU ARE NOT COOL

YOU ARE AN IDIOT

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else using the lockdown period to quit the smokes? I'm on day 2 now...cold chicken....

Was offered a pack of Swahil (or some sketchy brand) when I went to the shops the other day...
Was a bit weird, the guy had a long jacket on and whistled for me, when I looked his way he opened up the jacket and had packets of smokes in there! I though he was going to flash me or something dodgy!

Anyway, R50 for a packet of  crappy dry smokes!
Time to try and quit...
Again...!

I got a blocked artery behind my knee in my right leg and needed emergency surgery in November to put in a new pipe to supply my lower leg with blood.

I was a asked repeatedly, by the surgeon, radiologists, aneathlogists , nurses and everyone else in the hospital the following questions: Do you smoke? Me:No. Them: When did you stop smoking? Me. Before I reached the age of 10. (60+ years ago)

They just assume if I had a blocked artery I must have been a smoker.

Anyone else used the lockdown and lack of available smokes to quit?

Almost a week now for me...was a tough couple of days not being able to at least run or cycle and knacker myself out a bit....

My housemate runs out of smokes Thursday...... :devil:

Anyone else used the lockdown and lack of available smokes to quit?

Almost a week now for me...was a tough couple of days not being able to at least run or cycle and knacker myself out a bit....

My housemate runs out of smokes Thursday...... :devil:

Keep going thats fantastic. 

• 2 months later...