Member Pictures: You and/or Your Bike

Matt

Thought I'd have some fun after a ride the other day...

My cycling evolution:

I was an avid runner, but after a knee op in April 2013 I was told I should never run again if I wanted to walk past the age of 40. By October I had fully recovered and figured I needed some form of exercise. My wife suggested cycling, which I was not found of at all, but dusted off the old Makro special and headed to contermanskloof.

This is her and my getup at the time:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1449727703.576847.jpg

After my first ride, which was actually just the climb and back down the climb (had no idea how trails worked) I was HOOKED! Thanks wifey!

Some rides later I had figured out the trail system and was starting to hit bigger things, I loved it, my Makro special did not. After a stint down the Kloof at conties both wheels were buckled and the head tube cracked top and bottom. So I shopped. At that stage I did not know much about the cycling world, so a salesman told me to get a dual sus XC, so I did.

In comes my Axis:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1449728071.124102.jpg

We had an awesome time together, compared to my Makro special, the axis was a luxury car. BUT, as my skills progressed over time, I realised that I wanted more travel and a bike that could take bigger hits, the Axis was struggling and I was getting odd looks from the DH guys standing at the top of a black line drop in on a 29er XC in between all the DH rigs. So after about two years and many upgrades to the Axis trying to get it as close to a trail bike as possible, I bit the bullet and spent more money on a bike than I ever thought I would.

The new baby, my Reign:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1449728302.095672.jpg

Every now and then we step outside our comfort zone and try and up our skills a bit more, and get the edge of that oh sh&t feeling. (Generally with a shirt though).

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1449728415.236808.jpg

this for post of the year !!

should be on the awesome thread to ....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's happening here though 

That's my mate Ollie being a pansy trying not to get his footsies wet...

bloody roadies

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...