What watch are you wearing?

gummibear

Love your taste in watches. I am seriously jealous!!

You working for Steinhoff????

Ha ha. I appreciate that! No, fortunately I don’t work for Steinhoff. I have been a watch nut as long as I can remember. I also prefer watches that are not too mainstream. I never buy new anymore. If you take your time and find the good deals its possible to indulge quite a bit. Unlike bicycles, watches keep their value. I sold that IWC Big Pilot for 50% more than I paid for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha. I appreciate that! No, fortunately I don’t work for Steinhoff. I have been a watch nut as long as I can remember. I also prefer watches that are not too mainstream. I never buy new anymore. If you take your time and find the good deals its possible to indulge quite a bit. Unlike bicycles, watches keep their value. I sold that IWC Big Pilot for 50% more than I paid for it.

Interesting. I am following LuxuryTime on FB, they're selling 2nd hand top end watches out of Menlyn I think.  Prices are less than current retail, but not sure if better than original price.

I have a number of Tissot's - mainstream and good value for money, a Luminox and a beautiful Tag Aquaracer.

Would love to have a TAG Carrera, IWC, Cartier Tank, Lange & Sohne.  But probably will never get any. :-(

Interesting. I am following LuxuryTime on FB, they're selling 2nd hand top end watches out of Menlyn I think.  Prices are less than current retail, but not sure if better than original price.

I have a number of Tissot's - mainstream and good value for money, a Luminox and a beautiful Tag Aquaracer.

Would love to have a TAG Carrera, IWC, Cartier Tank, Lange & Sohne.  But probably will never get any. :-(

My first decent watch was a Tissot. I loved that watch!

That is quite a nice wish list you've got there. I used to think that I would only buy watches and never sell any, but I found that that was a dead end. I found that 4 good watches is a good number for me so I keep it at 4 now. I wear them all so they are not just stuck in the safe.

By selling one from time to time and buying another one has rekindled my love for watches. Currently I have the Panerai, Breitling, Omega Seamaster and the Blancpain Fifity Fathoms. Not sure which one I would sell at the moment so will see when the itch appears again. My next holy grail watch would be a AP Royal Oak, but they are way too expensive, even second hand.

I buy and sell on Topwatch.co.za. Johan that owns the site always gives me a very fair trade-in on watches and it is so much easier than trying to sell it myself. He also has a very nice collection and often get more in.

My first decent watch was a Tissot. I loved that watch!

That is quite a nice wish list you've got there. I used to think that I would only buy watches and never sell any, but I found that that was a dead end. I found that 4 good watches is a good number for me so I keep it at 4 now. I wear them all so they are not just stuck in the safe.

By selling one from time to time and buying another one has rekindled my love for watches. Currently I have the Panerai, Breitling, Omega Seamaster and the Blancpain Fifity Fathoms. Not sure which one I would sell at the moment so will see when the itch appears again. My next holy grail watch would be a AP Royal Oak, but they are way too expensive, even second hand.

I buy and sell on Topwatch.co.za. Johan that owns the site always gives me a very fair trade-in on watches and it is so much easier than trying to sell it myself. He also has a very nice collection and often get more in.

Pic of the Seamaster please.

I have this deal with my son who is at Stellies (3rd year) (BTW I'm also an ex Matie/Capetonian).  If he gets his PhD before he turns 25, I'll buy him a Seamaster.  He's got 4 years left, which means B degree next year and 3 years for his PhD - certainly doable!!!

Pic of the Seamaster please.

I have this deal with my son who is at Stellies (3rd year) (BTW I'm also an ex Matie/Capetonian).  If he gets his PhD before he turns 25, I'll buy him a Seamaster.  He's got 4 years left, which means B degree next year and 3 years for his PhD - certainly doable!!!

That Seamaster is the only one I would definitely never sell. I bought it in New York in 1999. I will never forget it. It was the first high end watch I bought and paid R7000 for it. I went in and out of the store probably 5 times and kept trying it on. It was a crapload of money and I just could not pull the trigger. I am so glad I did. I had it serviced for the first time 3 years ago and you will never say its almost 20 years old. I swim in the sea with it all the time.

I have convinced quite a few people of buying one of those (my wife has a quarts version). It is the best value for money as far as high end watches go. Your son will be very happy with it if he gets there. What is he studying?

That Seamaster is the only one I would definitely never sell. I bought it in New York in 1999. I will never forget it. It was the first high end watch I bought and paid R7000 for it. I went in and out of the store probably 5 times and kept trying it on. It was a crapload of money and I just could not pull the trigger. I am so glad I did. I had it serviced for the first time 3 years ago and you will never say its almost 20 years old. I swim in the sea with it all the time.

I have convinced quite a few people of buying one of those (my wife has a quarts version). It is the best value for money as far as high end watches go. Your son will be very happy with it if he gets there. What is he studying?

BSc Agric with Entomology and Plant Pathology as majors.  Masters (and hopefully PhD) will be Entomology.

85b8546ddf32758d3425cf43825b1d50.jpg

It is in a prefect condition!!!! R7000. Wow. I'm gonna spend at least R60k (at today's price).

BSc Agric with Entomology and Plant Pathology as majors.  Masters (and hopefully PhD) will be Entomology.

Wow that is a mouth full. Good luck! It sure is quite a privilege to study at Maties!

It is in a prefect condition!!!! R7000. Wow. I'm gonna spend at least R60k (at today's price).

That is the point of top end watches. The quality of the steel and the saphire crystal means it looks perfect for many years. I remember I worked with a guy in 1999 and he had a Rolex Submariner that he bought new in 1990 for R3500. In 1999 it was already in the region of over R30k new. If you look at how long they last and how the price increases, it's almost a no-brainer. Problem is it always feels like you missed the boat and should have bought 5 years ago.

That is the point of top end watches. The quality of the steel and the saphire crystal means it looks perfect for many years. I remember I worked with a guy in 1999 and he had a Rolex Submariner that he bought new in 1990 for R3500. In 1999 it was already in the region of over R30k new. If you look at how long they last and how the price increases, it's almost a no-brainer. Problem is it always feels like you missed the boat and should have bought 5 years ago.

Rolex prices are crazy at the moment although they do offer pretty good discounts.

I have bought 2 subs with the intention to sell them and made a profit both times.

When it came to buying a keeper I decided on the Tudor Pelagos with the in-house movement.

My hope is that they will be the new Rolex sub and increase as the sub has[emoji6][emoji3]

Keep an eye on topwatch.co.za. They get some really nice ones in from time to time. I almost bought one of those orange Planet Ocean's a while back, but I was not ready to sell anything. As mentioned I would not buy new anymore. Even my wife got hers secondhand.

Rolex prices are crazy at the moment although they do offer pretty good discounts.

I have bought 2 subs with the intention to sell them and made a profit both times.

When it came to buying a keeper I decided on the Tudor Pelagos with the in-house movement.

My hope is that they will be the new Rolex sub and increase as the sub has[emoji6][emoji3]

Ive been on the hunt for Tudor sub... I find them more appealing that their Rolex cousins...

Although I know someone with a Rolex Air King which im after... need to sell a bit more coffee first!