Transport bike in the rain

Sepia

Bicycles have seals? You mean those silly rubber and plastic things that cause friction? I always throw them away. Bit of sand or water in the grease never did any damage.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, great thread. I never ride my mtb bike in the rain or through water or on sand or in mud. In fact I don't ride it at all cause parts may wear.

I have had a bike with XT wheels on the back of the bakkie sitting in the rain (pretty heavy rain) while I was sitting having a beer. When the rain stopped we carried on the journey. As it's XT hubs we are talking about and they had just been serviced for the 100th time (got to love the seals on the XT wheels not) I decided to take a look at the before we rode the next morning. Just from the one down pour I found water in the hub. Not much but there was some in the rear hub. To cut a long story short it's better to try prevent. Not all bikes are equal and have the same seals etc, so one headset may let water in while another won't. I solved her problem, bought new wheels with Hope hubs since then I hardly look at the hubs. Thanx rouxtie for the sale. :clap:

How you carry out the prevention is up to you.

No chance. I work in info-sec. Weedmod is the casual bike shop employee.

Oh, and I touched 160ish on the R21 in the rain on the way in this morning. Will let you know how the bike is tomorrow. Like I said, if water is forced into any sensitive areas by that, it will go straight back to BMW.

Ok, so lets look at this: you are not an engineer, you clearly have no regard for the law and other road users, aggressive, selfish and you keep wanting everyone to know you drive a BMW.

Your comments on a topic like this have zero merit. Case in point, your comparing apples & oranges. Cars are specifically designed to go at 100km/h+ speeds and all parts that could get water damaged you'll find are protected by farings and complex seals. Bicycles are not designed to have contaminant filled water blasted at its bearings and seals. Look at the difference between motorbike and bicycle design next time.

snip...

Sprayed water also carries contaminents with it. Shifters - mountain or road, have open designs. All that protects it is an unsealed cap. Grit and muddy water from road spray easily penetrates these and impairs function over the long run.

I remain convinced that a long ride on the roof of a car is not good for the bike.

The contaminants in road spray is a good point.

I'm convinced it's bad too, since I know how it ruined my bike from experience. Johan, it seems your altruism is wasted here on this forum. I have no idea why people would persist in attacking you. Let's see, you hold fork and shock servicing classes, you've built race-winning wheels, you service and maintain high end forks and shocks for race winning athletes and I find your approach to things always pragmatic and respectful.

@ Tumbleweed, apologies for calling TNT1 a tool.

Edited by rob_mtb
Unnecessary name-calling.

Anyone who transports their bike on the roof of a car is looking for trouble.

Especialy when you pull into the carport at your end destination.

Case in point I was on a bike this morning, to test the theory.

Cars and motorbikes are specifically designed to go at 100km/h+ speeds and all parts that could get water damaged you'll find are protected by farings and complex seals. Bicycles are not designed to have contaminant filled water blasted at their bearings and seals. Look at the difference between motorbike and bicycle design next time.

True! a mate pulled into his garage with his bike on the top. SEEEERIAS damage all around haha

Did that one morning on the way into the work parkade. Was a sturdy little GT Zone, so hardly any damage :blush:

I have had a bike with XT wheels on the back of the bakkie sitting in the rain (pretty heavy rain) while I was sitting having a beer. When the rain stopped we carried on the journey. As it's XT hubs we are talking about and they had just been serviced for the 100th time (got to love the seals on the XT wheels not) I decided to take a look at the before we rode the next morning. Just from the one down pour I found water in the hub. Not much but there was some in the rear hub. To cut a long story short it's better to try prevent. Not all bikes are equal and have the same seals etc, so one headset may let water in while another won't. I solved her problem, bought new wheels with Hope hubs since then I hardly look at the hubs. Thanx rouxtie for the sale. :clap:

How you carry out the prevention is up to you.

I really miss the days when I watched you servicing XT hubs after every ride while I enjoyed a lager...hehehhe

Like that episode of Top Gear where they had to build the motorhomes.

I took TNT's approach once on a 5 hour torrential rain drive from Knysna back to CT. Needless to say, my bearings were stuffed when I got back. Had to redo the headset and all of my rear suspension bearings.

I think the Glad wrap idea is great and I reckon that would have helped a bit. In hindsight, I think you'd be better off removing the forks and wheels, and maybe stick them in the boot, and Glad wrap the rest. Rain has a sneaky way of getting into things.

I also think this TNT vs JB thing is really tiring. JB has a lot of good info on him, he's fixed and tuned my suspension before and he knows bikes. Who is TNT? Just some aggressive troll on the web hiding away who he is, constantly having wise things to say. Johan uses his real name, and stands by what he says with actual technical input.

Who are you TNT? Please state your name and occupation.

He's a guy who loves his post count! :lol:

Well maybe that's why they invented these extended glass windscreens/glass roofs for cars. Then at least you can see whether your bike is actually still attached to the roof rack. :blink:

He's a guy who loves his post count! :lol:

Of course. It tells you how big my willy is long before you meet me.

oi, crazy frog, you doing the charity ride?

Oi there!!

Yes, got the teddy bear already!!

AND I'll probably drive with you (if you are still going solo???)....unless i can coonvince the entire family to pitch up....

Whst is the total distance again?? approximate...My laaitjie is allergic to biking...ha ha ha...