MTB Tyre Choices

patches

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the WTB combo on my bike and all I can say is GRIIIIIP for days.

+1, except Vigilante/Wolverine: Very pressure sensitive, but when right they grip like k@k to a wolkombers (those with potty-training kids will understand). With my limited ability, I need all the grip I can get. Will try a trailboss at the back when the wolverine is done for. The chunky monkey/smorgasbord combo also looks like they can work, as well as Onza Ibex/Canis

Apparently they are brilliant. What the hans was supposed to be. Certainly far better than the old one by all accounts

its by all accounts schwalbe's burliest XC/trail tyre, if only because they've decided to not produce the new NN with an SG casing. Bit of a pity.

Was keen to use it with that bit of vaporware, Procore.. <_<

OK, bit the bullet and will be replacing the rear one tomorrow. Considering it has done 6000km I guess it is about time.

New VS front tyre (still good for another 6000km)

post-38519-0-38498000-1445927823_thumb.jpg

New VS rear tyre (it's about damn time)

post-38519-0-08183000-1445927836_thumb.jpg

You only got 6000 km out of those because they are weeeeell past their useful life.

Any way ime crossmark feel fast thanks to low grip. They last longer than others due to hard rubber

None of those traits are desirable to me in a choice of tyre.

Well they still ride and have not let me down once. My only problem is I have less and less grip when climbing, apart from that they are ok. Did the Durbie Dash on those and they were fine. The front one will hopefully stay on to 10,000km or more.

Thats some big miles there ...

I got 2500km out of a Racing Ralph now on the back, which I would think is already alot, granted Schwalbe is a softer tyre.

Was 80% dirt though so that probably helps.

My new 2.35 NN for the front is on its way today, will probably be huge on the wide lightning

Edited by Kraggie

Thats some big miles there ...

I got 2500km out of a Racing Ralph now on the back, which I would think is already alot, granted Schwalbe is a softer tyre.

Was 80% dirt though so that probably helps.

My new 2.35 NN for the front is on its way today, will probably be huge on the wide lightning

Post a pic once you've fitted it and give some feedback. 

If I can get 2000km out of a rear I'm happy, I would give up longevity for outright grip any day.

Will be putting my current Rocket Ron front on the back, it also has done 2500km and still looks almost new, guess it will start wearing alot faster.

Well they still ride and have not let me down once. My only problem is I have less and less grip when climbing, apart from that they are ok. Did the Durbie Dash on those and they were fine. The front one will hopefully stay on to 10,000km or more.

The only thing I have found as tyres get older is that it would seem that the rubber deteriorates and despite having tread start giving puncture problems more often. Just my experience?

Saguaro is best long lasting rear tyre...

I sincerely hope so, just replaced the Barzo I had on the back that didn't last long with one of these ....

Another question: Who has run a Maxxis Minion DHR II on the front wheel?

It's a shame that Maxxis doesn't have a tyre that bridges the gap between Ardent and High Roller/Minion. There is the new Tomahawk, but that isn't really available yet, based on what I can see.