MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I used to have Maxxis Crossmark and was very happy with them, never an issue with deflating. Had one cut that I could plug. Now on my 2rd set of Schwable Rocket Ron Tubless ready tires. Also had the normal Schwable one that came with my spark 950 and I hate them. These tires are a nightmare to inflate without a bomb or compressor, the constantly loose air somewhere and smallest rock and there is a cut.

Now that my rant is done, I do mostly local places( modderfontein, spruit, etc) and then I do a race or two a month (

USN, Nissan t etc) I normally do 50 km plus races so want a decent tire that won’t let me down. What do you guys recommend? Should I just go back to Maxxis Crossmark?

Yesterday 7 km into the spruit, 3rd bomb used and 2 sidewall cuts I had enough of these tires. I don’t care if the tire weighs 50 grams more, I want a tire that won’t let me down

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have Maxxis Crossmark and was very happy with them, never an issue with deflating. Had one cut that I could plug. Now on my 2rd set of Schwable Rocket Ron Tubless ready tires. Also had the normal Schwable one that came with my spark 950 and I hate them. These tires are a nightmare to inflate without a bomb or compressor, the constantly loose air somewhere and smallest rock and there is a cut.

Now that my rant is done, I do mostly local places( modderfontein, spruit, etc) and then I do a race or two a month (

USN, Nissan t etc) I normally do 50 km plus races so want a decent tire that won’t let me down. What do you guys recommend? Should I just go back to Maxxis Crossmark?

Yesterday 7 km into the spruit, 3rd bomb used and 2 sidewall cuts I had enough of these tires. I don’t care if the tire weighs 50 grams more, I want a tire that won’t let me down

Are you using the Snakeskin versions? They have stronger sidewalls. Never had an issue with my RaRa's losing air and they seat easy tubeless. Only thing is, they wear very quickly.

Are you using the Snakeskin versions? They have stronger sidewalls. Never had an issue with my RaRa's losing air and they seat easy tubeless. Only thing is, they wear very quickly.

Nope not the snakeskin ones.

Currently running rara upfront and conti x king rear, and am happy with the combo. I used to have rara in back but could not get a replacement fast enough so went conti. Think the xking is a bit heavier, however from my limited experience with tyres I am happy to use either.

no issues with Snakeskin versions, Racing Ralph , did many including W2W , Attakwas , last weeks Ride The Rock , rear already worn off ..still no issues :)

Edited by shade

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I currently have tubeless Maxxis Crossmarks on my bike & over the weekend a knobbly broke off on my rear tyre causing a puncture which the slime sealed after a while, but I think it is a weakness due to a chunk of rubber coming off & I should therefore replace it.

I see on CWC there are good sale prices on the following:

Maxxis Ardent

Maxxis Monorail

Continental King II Protection

Kenda K1010

Kenda Slant Six

Are there any opinions on the above out there or should I stick with the Crossmarks which are also on sale?

Thanks!

Hi Gringo

I have Kenda Honey Badgers on my 650b, tubeless, not a lot of miles in them yet but they seem to be good. Bike is fairly new, I replaced the tubed tyres it came with. Maxxis Larsens on the 26er, also tubeless, very nice.

Previously used Kenda Nevegals, on the 26er, love them at the right pressure, sounds like a Landy on the tar, probably as heavy as a landy tire too, but racing snake I am not.

Tubeless is the way

..........................Previously used Kenda Nevegals, on the 26er, love them at the right pressure, sounds like a Landy on the tar, probably as heavy as a landy tire too, but racing snake I am not............................

And now I know why I always liked my old Nevegals - just like mud tyres on my Landy! :thumbup: Slow, but I can go everywhere. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I need help.

I currently run Maxxis Monorail LUST on front and rear, but they seem to be very slippery on gravel and mud. What suggestions do you guys have. My wheels are Easton EA90s UST, 26".

I was thinking on going for Maxxis Crossmark on the rear, but what for the front?

Monorail is slightly better than Crossmarks ito grip. Neither are really suited to winter in the cape.

Guys, I need help.

I currently run Maxxis Monorail LUST on front and rear, but they seem to be very slippery on gravel and mud. What suggestions do you guys have. My wheels are Easton EA90s UST, 26".

I was thinking on going for Maxxis Crossmark on the rear, but what for the front?

Crossmark certainly better than the monorail. What do you ride, mostly?

Monorail is slightly better than Crossmarks ito grip. Neither are really suited to winter in the cape.

Thought it was the other way around? Cool. Thanks for telling me otherwise!!