MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Very happy with my tyres so far, even if it was not my first choice. No flats yet, and much more grip than I used to have. I bombed it down some of those rocky tracks at Gravel Travel today. For the first time I have some real confidence going fast over rocks and nasty stuff.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if you can get on-one Smorgasboard tyres locally and how they would go in CT (mountain mainly)?

I'm looking at finding a good trail combo as I'm ditching the Conti' Verticals pretty soon as the from one keeps washing out in loose dirt in the corners. Probabally go Mtn Kings if not.

post-15825-0-52357700-1400171558_thumb.png

Edited by hellocolour

I have been pretty impressed with my MTB Wolverine 2.2. Have them on the back and front and they have gripped well in Jhb conditions. Just bought a new Epic Elite that came with S-works Fast Track on, will see how those go.

Just completed S2C on specialized fast track control (2.2) at rear and ground control (2.3) at front without a single problem.

Tyres were fast and gripped hard...very satisfied with the performance.

I noted the huge improvement in speed that the fast track gave over the ground control (2.1) I previously had at the rear.

Good tyres and reasonably priced. Also, easy to fit and seat yourself at home using pump.

Edited by nonky

• 4 weeks later...

Upgraded to 27.5 Scott Spark and was very happy with Maxxis Crossmax (UST/Lust) rear and Monorail (UST/Lust) on the front on the 26er also a dual suspension bike. Never had a puncture or cut tire but paid the weight penalty.

Did some research and went for Schwalbe Nobby Nic (Evo, Snakeskin, Pacestar TLR) and converted then to tubeless with sealant and no problems.They grip well but don't roll as well as the Maxxis and are a very noisy tire. I want a hassle free no punctures low rolling resistane tire for XC and light trails. I

In the Scwalbe range which is the better of the 2 for my riding Racing Ralph or Rocket Ron?

Any suggestions of any other brand would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Running Nobby Nic 2.25 up front and just fitted a Conti X-King 2.2 to the rear.

The Conti was by far the easier to go tubeless with! Literally took me all of 15 min including taping my wheel!

Used to run Maxxis Larsen TT all round, super fast rollers, but useless in any kind of wet.

Upgraded to 27.5 Scott Spark and was very happy with Maxxis Crossmax (UST/Lust) rear and Monorail (UST/Lust) on the front on the 26er also a dual suspension bike. Never had a puncture or cut tire but paid the weight penalty.

Did some research and went for Schwalbe Nobby Nic (Evo, Snakeskin, Pacestar TLR) and converted then to tubeless with sealant and no problems.They grip well but don't roll as well as the Maxxis and are a very noisy tire. I want a hassle free no punctures low rolling resistane tire for XC and light trails. I

In the Scwalbe range which is the better of the 2 for my riding Racing Ralph or Rocket Ron?

Thanks

I would rather go ralph front and rear. IMO better tyre than the Ron.

I would rather go ralph front and rear. IMO better tyre than the Ron.

No, it's different, not better. Ralphs roll well, but they do *not* corner hard well when used on the front, they're simply not designed for that. For general XC/trail use, Rons are actually pretty good on the front. Ralph/Ron is a good general-purpose combo. Edited by Martin Hattingh

Just started using Vredenstein 650b's.

Spotted Cat at the back and Black Panther front. Very fast rolling but front does not like fadt single track turns.

For thst I'll use the Black Panther Xtrack.

Summer rains/mud Xtrack at back and Black Panther Extreme front. Will see how this last combo does.

Pressures are 1.8/1.9 front/back.

Just started using Vredenstein 650b's.

Spotted Cat at the back and Black Panther front. Very fast rolling but front does not like fadt single track turns.

For thst I'll use the Black Panther Xtrack.

Summer rains/mud Xtrack at back and Black Panther Extreme front. Will see how this last combo does.

Pressures are 1.8/1.9 front/back.

A friend had the black panther extreme on the front and took quite a hard fall oneday (granted he was mucking around as well). So he wound up swopping it for a Nevegal with me! I now have it on the back and so far it seems not a bad tyre, quite slow wearing and grippy.

Thanks

Hi George

I had crossmarks front and rear and upgraded to racing ralphs front and rear, i noticed a little more noise on tar but not much, they roll easier at high speed. I sent my rear wheel in for repairs and they gave me a loan rear wheel with a Rocket Ron tyre. i found my rear wheel sliding on roots and in the mud. Not happy with the Rocket Ron tyre at all.

Go for Racing Ralphs all the way.

• 4 weeks later...

Which is a tough MTB tyre in 27.5?

My Trance came standard with Schwalbe Nobby Nic's which the LBS converted to tubeless but they never really sealed, particularly the front. It went flat on a rocky ride recently (admittedly after bombing down a really bony downhill). No visible puncture but would not hold air (or CO2) and eventually needed a tube.  Took the tube out, washed the tyre - no visible hole.  Reinstate the tubeless (what a mission - compressor, no valve core, soapy water and a tie strap needed). A visit to the bath showed a tiny hole about 3mm in from the bead.  I suspect this was the problem all along; maybe a new tyre is needed.  But maybe it's a snakebite although I had plenty pressure in the tyre.

But I'm not so happy with the Nobby Nic's after about 1000 maybe 1300km including sani2c as I haven't felt such a floppy tyre with paper thin sidewalls. You could put it on with real butter fingers (I thought it may be a 29 it slipped on so easily).

Question is?  What is a tougher tyre that affords reasonable grip. What is the toughest MTB tyre?

Which is a tough MTB tyre in 27.5?

My Trance came standard with Schwalbe Nobby Nic's which the LBS converted to tubeless but they never really sealed, particularly the front. It went flat on a rocky ride recently (admittedly after bombing down a really bony downhill). No visible puncture but would not hold air (or CO2) and eventually needed a tube.  Took the tube out, washed the tyre - no visible hole.  Reinstate the tubeless (what a mission - compressor, no valve core, soapy water and a tie strap needed). A visit to the bath showed a tiny hole about 3mm in from the bead.  I suspect this was the problem all along; maybe a new tyre is needed.  But maybe it's a snakebite although I had plenty pressure in the tyre.

But I'm not so happy with the Nobby Nic's after about 1000 maybe 1300km including sani2c as I haven't felt such a floppy tyre with paper thin sidewalls. You could put it on with real butter fingers (I thought it may be a 29 it slipped on so easily).

Question is?  What is a tougher tyre that affords reasonable grip. What is the toughest MTB tyre?

Are those Nobby Nic's the performance line ones? If so they are very soft.

If you don't mind a bit of rolling resistance you can try either the Muddy Mary or the Magic Mary, both grip really well and I have yet to manage a puncture after a lot of riding.

With Schwalbe never ever get the performance line tyres or if they come fitted as standard on a bike swap them out for one of their higher level (tougher) tyres.