MTB Tyre Choices

patches

36 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

I'm running Rekon and Rekon race it's a great combo for me. Fast rolling and grips well. Ardent race in 2.35 is good for front and rear. 

My boet is on crossmark (came on new bike) before riding the bike he wanted to change the tyre's but so far he is really happy with them. 

If you want to be like Niño I have a new set of 2.4wt Aspin at a 2 for 1 price if interested 😁

Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

I want to be like Nino.... but I fear tyres are quite far down the list of things to change for that....

Edit: spelling

Edited by madbradd
Spelling

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, V18 said:

I assume you ride more xcm type terrain. I'd say the recon and recon race combo. Can get quite slimy here in wet winter CT. I wouldn't ride crossmark. Fine for roadie stuff but slippy af on sandstone-mud and everyting with a touch of moisture. 

Yeah I figured slimy was going to happen. Rekon Race looked to be great but was worried it wouldn't grip on wet rocks/roots.

Jip. Definitely not the most grippy tyre. But the only one with actual side knobs you listed. Wouldn't for example enter an Enduro with them. Plenty of well drained trails in CT. Really much or a muchness. 

After about a week on the pirelli scorpion tyres, I can wholeheartedly endorse them for general use too. 

1 hour ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

I'm running Rekon and Rekon race it's a great combo for me. Fast rolling and grips well. Ardent race in 2.35 is good for front and rear. 

My boet is on crossmark (came on new bike) before riding the bike he wanted to change the tyre's but so far he is really happy with them. 

If you want to be like Niño I have a new set of 2.4wt Aspin at a 2 for 1 price if interested 😁

I'm interested in these tyres.  I want to be like Nino.

1 hour ago, Super Sywurm said:

Yeah just run them at the same pressure he did and you to can have loads of flats just like him 🤣 

I like him he is a great rider and person (met the team on trails) but riding in Stellenbosch and surrounding on 1 and 1.25bar pressure is not the best decision. 

15 hours ago, V18 said:

Jip. Definitely not the most grippy tyre. But the only one with actual side knobs you listed. Wouldn't for example enter an Enduro with them. Plenty of well drained trails in CT. Really much or a muchness. 

After about a week on the pirelli scorpion tyres, I can wholeheartedly endorse them for general use too. 

Good to hear of other options. Will check out the pirellis. Opinion on the Forekaster? 

On 5/2/2022 at 7:34 AM, Super Sywurm said:

I also wanted this choice. Good luck in finding a Rekon tyre! Maybe now there is stock but I could not find a 2.35 Rekon a few weeks ago..ANYWHERE! Settled on Aspen Race 2.35 Front and Rekon Race 2.25 back. Doing Sani next week so will see how it performs on some serious "switchy" single tracks 

• 2 months later...

Hi All. Read this thread and still can't make my mind up which tyres to get. Just bought my first 29 dual sus and it comes with Mavic cross road rims(I think I can go 2.4) It's tubeless ready but has not been setup before. My riding style is technical and i love single tracks. I prefer not to ride on the tar however I can't avoid that when riding in the neighborhood. I am no race snake but plan to do some events later in life. I have narrowed it down to Maxxis Ikon, Rekon and Forrester. My previous bike had Ardent race exo(2.4)which I used to get a lot of punctures and was washing out in the front. Also looking at Schwalbes racing Ralph's and Nobby nics. It's selling for R700 at Sportsmans Warehouse but I think it's the non exo ones, not sure. Tyres are bloody expensive so want to make the right decision. Please help. Tx

A lot of factors come into play. Your weight is one, your bike type and weight is another - Hard tail or Dual Suss. What events are on the horizon? XC or Enduro. The above will impact on your tyre choice and the pressures that you ride them on. Size 2.25 is more ideal for XC and 2.35/2.4 for trail. Tyre weigh is also important to the XC racers.

Aspens are lightweight and fast but have smaller knobs (less grip) to others tyres.

Ikon also has lesser grip but is fast so is an ideal rear XC tyre. 

Often the Ardent(front) and Ardent race (rear) are used together for XC.

The Rekon has more tread/ grip so can be used more for trail purposes.

Forekaster (front) more ideal for wetter soils and mud.

Washing out could also indicate poor technique (keeping weight too far forward).

To me punctures happen mainly if you ride over a sharp object that penetrates the tyre, so you can't blame a tyre make for a puncture. Punctures are just bad luck.

Read up for more general info: https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blogs/worldwide-cyclery-blog/which-maxxis-tire-is-right-for-you

Good luck with what you can get with low stock levels. Schwalbe also make good tyres.

For muddy trails the rekon race packs up quickly and is completely useless. It’s also downright scary on wet rocks and roots.

In the summer it’s great. Rolls fast and corners well.

Waiting for a Kenda Karma Pro 2 in 2.4 and a Bontrager XR3 2.4. Have ridden neither before but they are supposed to be better for wet or slippy stuff. The Kenda gets really good reviews for the wet. The combo is also 250g lighter than the maxxis combo I am currently running.

I am currently running Maxxis Ardent front and rear. The tyres have done nearly 4000 km and it looks like it is nearly time to replace the rear tyre. I ride mostly dirt roads and on tar to get to the dirt roads. 

My question: Will the Crossmark give me better mileage than the Ardent?

13 hours ago, RobbyB said:

A lot of factors come into play. Your weight is one, your bike type and weight is another - Hard tail or Dual Suss. What events are on the horizon? XC or Enduro. The above will impact on your tyre choice and the pressures that you ride them on. Size 2.25 is more ideal for XC and 2.35/2.4 for trail. Tyre weigh is also important to the XC racers.

Aspens are lightweight and fast but have smaller knobs (less grip) to others tyres.

Ikon also has lesser grip but is fast so is an ideal rear XC tyre. 

Often the Ardent(front) and Ardent race (rear) are used together for XC.

The Rekon has more tread/ grip so can be used more for trail purposes.

Forekaster (front) more ideal for wetter soils and mud.

Washing out could also indicate poor technique (keeping weight too far forward).

To me punctures happen mainly if you ride over a sharp object that penetrates the tyre, so you can't blame a tyre make for a puncture. Punctures are just bad luck.

Read up for more general info: https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blogs/worldwide-cyclery-blog/which-maxxis-tire-is-right-for-you

Good luck with what you can get with low stock levels. Schwalbe also make good tyres.

Its a dual sus. I'm about 79kg. Yes my riding position could be wrong that is contributing to the washing out. Just been to Dunkeld cycles and they advise I should get Ardents front and Ikons rear. Was considering 2.4 all round but might just go 2.25 to have more speed. 

16 minutes ago, MrJacques said:

Forekaster looks interesting, just wondering how the longer, and narrow central lugs will fair on harder packed terrain without squirming....I am assuming they have increased the height of the central lugs, and it looks like they did

It is kind of a "mini Assegai" :P ..... see the middle lug, and then the oval ring of 6 x supporting lugs around it as per the Ass Guy tyres

New-Maxxis-Forekaster-mountain-bike-tire5.jpegassegai_tread.jpg

15 hours ago, Hairy said:

Forekaster looks interesting, just wondering how the longer, and narrow central lugs will fair on harder packed terrain without squirming....I am assuming they have increased the height of the central lugs, and it looks like they did

It is kind of a "mini Assegai" :P ..... see the middle lug, and then the oval ring of 6 x supporting lugs around it as per the Ass Guy tyres

New-Maxxis-Forekaster-mountain-bike-tire5.jpegassegai_tread.jpg

Always been very happy with the Forekaster as a summer rear tyre (or all weather front on an XC bike), my one complaint has been the 2.35 width. so with the 2.4 options this is definitely going on the back of my bike with a DHR2 on the front when summer rolls around. 

19 minutes ago, Grease_Monkey said:

Always been very happy with the Forekaster as a summer rear tyre (or all weather front on an XC bike), my one complaint has been the 2.35 width. so with the 2.4 options this is definitely going on the back of my bike with a DHR2 on the front when summer rolls around. 

Agreed, the 2.35 Forekaster is super narrow (very noticeably narrower than the 2.35 Ikon). Hopefully the 2.4 is better.