MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Any recommendations for tyres for a 27.5 trail bike for rocky conditions? Currently I'm running conti x-King protections (2.2) at 1.7 and 1.8 bar (front and back), and they well and truely suck at getting up loose rocky climbs. Can not lower the pressure more as I'm a solid 97kg and it feels like I'm already on the limit of how low I can go...

I guess, from a more important point of view of actually trying to understand what's happening, can someone comment on the type/size of knobs required for loose rocky terrain in order to have better traction?

Combo Time!

Magic Mary & Hans Dampf / Nobby Nic (MUST be Snakeskin or Super Gravity)

Onza Ibex & Citius

Spaz Butcher & Slaughter, GRID casing

Maxxis Ardent or Minion & Ardent (3c MaxxTerra casing)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any recommendations for tyres for a 27.5 trail bike for rocky conditions? Currently I'm running conti x-King protections (2.2) at 1.7 and 1.8 bar (front and back), and they well and truely suck at getting up loose rocky climbs. Can not lower the pressure more as I'm a solid 97kg and it feels like I'm already on the limit of how low I can go...

I guess, from a more important point of view of actually trying to understand what's happening, can someone comment on the type/size of knobs required for loose rocky terrain in order to have better traction?

Myles made a few good suggestions.

If you enjoy Conti tyres, maybe also consider Mountain / Trail King or a combination of both. Also, if you can get your hands on it, Michelin's Wild Grip'R and Wild Race'R is a fantastic combo. 

Regarding your second question, grip isn't only determined by knob size. There are a lot of other factors to consider. There are a lot of tyres with low knobs that provide bags of grip.

Personally, I favour a tyre with a strong sidewall, that allows you to run lower pressures, resulting in more grip. Lower pressures allows the tyres to deform to the trail surface. 

What tyre do I combine with a Onza Canis.

Canis at front but rear? Marathon type setup but for muddy/loose terrain?

What tyre do I combine with a Onza Canis.

Canis at front but rear? Marathon type setup but for muddy/loose terrain?

haven't tried a Canis on the front, but froma marathon perspective it could work very nicely. For mud, though, I'd go for something chunkier. Ibex / Magic Mary and so on. Depending on how much mud there is. 

haven't tried a Canis on the front, but froma marathon perspective it could work very nicely. For mud, though, I'd go for something chunkier. Ibex / Magic Mary and so on. Depending on how much mud there is. 

Agree. Would shift the Canis to the back and go with Ibex front.

Myles, you can't recommend Magic Mary for every tyre query!

Who puts a Magic Mary on a marathon bike? Honestly. 

Myles, you can't recommend Magic Mary for every tyre query!

Who puts a Magic Mary on a marathon bike? Honestly. 

lol... read again. I said Canis, and depending on quantity of mud may need ibex / MM

But seriously. Rolling resistance is far more of a problem on the back. On the front, I want as MUCH grip as I can get. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

• 1 month later...

Silly question but is there a difference in the tyre diameter for a 26" bike with v brakes vs disc brakes. My tyres on my bike I am using here in Angola are shot to pieces and I bought a set of 26x 2 tyres but they fall over the rim. The only thing I can think of is that there is a difference between the rims?

Hi all.

I think my rear Geax Saguaro is close to, or already kaput, with a sidewall puncture.

Question is, if the bikeshop cant revive the Saguaro, I am looking at replacing it with one of the following:

Maxxis Crossmark (29x 2.1) LUST- old tyre with okayish tread and life still in it

Maxxis Ikon(29 x 2.2) - 3C/EXO/TR - brand new R570

Onza Canis (29 x 2.25) - brand new R640

With this bike, I do some trail riding and commuting to work on sidepaths. So nothing insanely technical or rocky, but I do want the tyre to hold up well, maintain its tread for a reasonable period, handle itself sufficiently well on moderately technical trails, and not be super heavy.

What ya think?

Silly question but is there a difference in the tyre diameter for a 26" bike with v brakes vs disc brakes. My tyres on my bike I am using here in Angola are shot to pieces and I bought a set of 26x 2 tyres but they fall over the rim. The only thing I can think of is that there is a difference between the rims?

Nope. What tyres did you buy? Some budget ones have really, really bad tolerances

Hi all.

I think my rear Geax Saguaro is close to, or already kaput, with a sidewall puncture.

Question is, if the bikeshop cant revive the Saguaro, I am looking at replacing it with one of the following:

Maxxis Crossmark (29x 2.1) LUST- old tyre with okayish tread and life still in it

Maxxis Ikon(29 x 2.2) - 3C/EXO/TR - brand new R570

Onza Canis (29 x 2.25) - brand new R640

What ya think?

Been waiting for someone to revive the thread, so also very interested in the answers to the above question.  I am also looking into getting a new set of tires with the focus back on MTBs.  Intermediate rider that do a combination of trail / XC / etc.  

Someone suggested that I put the following on:

Front: VITTORIA/GEAX SAGUARO 29 X 2.2

Back: VITTORIA/GEAX BARZO 29 X 2.25

Comments, or is there something else I need to look at rather.

Been waiting for someone to revive the thread, so also very interested in the answers to the above question.  I am also looking into getting a new set of tires with the focus back on MTBs.  Intermediate rider that do a combination of trail / XC / etc.  

Someone suggested that I put the following on:

Front: VITTORIA/GEAX SAGUARO 29 X 2.2

Back: VITTORIA/GEAX BARZO 29 X 2.25

Comments, or is there something else I need to look at rather.

I would never ever ever put Saguaro on the front ever again. I'm surprised so many people on here recommend it. I have used it twice over the years and found it one of the most sketchy tyres ever. 

I would never ever ever put Saguaro on the front ever again. I'm surprised so many people on here recommend it. I have used it twice over the years and found it one of the most sketchy tyres ever. 

This.