Tennis...

'Dale

So serena wasn't aware of where the ball was on the court and now blames the socio-political landscape for her p1 ss-poor performance and throwing of toys? She displays a mentality also rampant in South Africa today...

She broke the rules. It was unprofessional. She paid the penalties. 

I work with professional athletes. They don't leave their humanity in the locker room. They're not machines. 

I can tell you, sias, I don't want to be a woman in this patriarchal world. It must be tough. Ask any woman here. Now add black. Met eish.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to be a woman in this patriarchal world. It must be tough. Ask any woman here. Now add black. Met eish.

True, and then she goes and makes it more difficult for all other women?

Dunno about that, sias.

Men make it difficult for women. Every moment, every day. Not just in the glamorous world of PRO tennis.

But that's another topic for another thread.

That's what I call a slam dunk. 

That's what I call a slam dunk. 

Why do you say that?

Her actions were wrong but it was a catalyst for a big discussion and focus on woman's rights in tennis. Even here on the hub women's rights in tennis were discussed for the first time ever. I don't agree that she made it more difficult for "all other women".

There is no hierarchy for oppression and suffering.

Either you're joking or your sarcasm is in bad taste.

The context for this extensive discussion is a black professional woman, not the Irish, or any other tribe that was oppressed or suffered. Hence, my references.

She was a tennis player behaving badly.  She was not professional in her actions, actually very novice and her ethnicity, skin colour, socio-eceonomic conditions, motherhood, poor dress sense, and size had NOTHING to do with her threatening, invasive, intimidating, borish behavior towards a sport official, doing his job. 

It is interesting to see that her opponent, also an oppressed minority of mixed race did not behave in such a poor manner. 

If Serena's behaviour was standard for all oppressed minority groups, then her opponent should also had threatened and screamed at the umpire, just because he was representative of the "white male minority" which oppressed both "black"and "Asians",

ERGO Serena was grandstanding, got put in her place and resented that.

Secondly, "There is no hierarchy for oppression and suffering.", but you chose to deny the suffering of other minorities by blandly saying "Either you're joking or your sarcasm is in bad taste."  Please take your woke whiteness somewhere else.

Why do you say that?

Her actions were wrong but it was a catalyst for a big discussion and focus on woman's rights in tennis. Even here on the hub women's rights in tennis were discussed for the first time ever. I don't agree that she made it more difficult for "all other women".

That's why its called opinion, not going to get into it if you cant see it. 

Many female players, commentators etc have the same view. Here's just 1.

On ABC’s Offsiders, Fairfax’s Caroline Wilson took umbrage with Williams’ argument the outburst was fighting for women’s rights.

“She is doing a terrible disservice to women’s rights, to the #metoo movement, to gender equality,” Wilson said.

“To say she’s fighting for women’s rights, when what she is is a bad sport. She’s not fighting for women’s rights, that is a joke and that’s an insult to people who do fight for women’s rights and go through terrible bloodshed and heartbreak.”

That's why its called opinion, not going to get into it if you cant see it. 

Many female players, commentators etc have the same view. Here's just 1.

On ABC’s Offsiders, Fairfax’s Caroline Wilson took umbrage with Williams’ argument the outburst was fighting for women’s rights.

“She is doing a terrible disservice to women’s rights, to the #metoo movement, to gender equality,” Wilson said.

“To say she’s fighting for women’s rights, when what she is is a bad sport. She’s not fighting for women’s rights, that is a joke and that’s an insult to people who do fight for women’s rights and go through terrible bloodshed and heartbreak.”

Yet here we are, more than a week after the event still posting about woman's rights on a tennis thread. And none of us bar 'Dale could even be bothered to post about the sport of tennis before this incident. If you can't see it no point going into it  ;)

Statistically, men also play more games than women.

Not sure how that impacts the numbers.

Level the playing field fully. Women get paid the same for grand slam tournaments, then make the ladies play 5 sets. All equal,all fair. Will resolve the stats issues as well.

I do not believe that women can not play 5 sets. Only challenge i can think of of is the extra time needed for the extra sets to be played. Start the day an hour earlier for games.... fixed.

Generalizing blanket statement.

It’s an established fact

It’s the patriarchal system that benefit men

She was a tennis player behaving badly. She was not professional in her actions, actually very novice and her ethnicity, skin colour, socio-eceonomic conditions, motherhood, poor dress sense, and size had NOTHING to do with her threatening, invasive, intimidating, borish behavior towards a sport official, doing his job.

It is interesting to see that her opponent, also an oppressed minority of mixed race did not behave in such a poor manner.

If Serena's behaviour was standard for all oppressed minority groups, then her opponent should also had threatened and screamed at the umpire, just because he was representative of the "white male minority" which oppressed both "black"and "Asians",

ERGO Serena was grandstanding, got put in her place and resented that.

Secondly, "There is no hierarchy for oppression and suffering.", but you chose to deny the suffering of other minorities by blandly saying "Either you're joking or your sarcasm is in bad taste." Please take your woke whiteness somewhere else.

Paddaman,

I agree that in this professional game of sport this player broke rules and was penalized accordingly.

The sport handled that.

I also understand and can appreciate that there’s a sociologist-political context within which this sport is operating, that is the US Open in the USA where there’s a tyrant king ruling. Issues of diversity are high up on the consciousness of that nation. There’s a lot of anger and hurt.

Professional athletes are humans and social beings and are affected by context. She was penalized and that is correct. Yet I can understand her social context as far as I can see.

Your posts remain in bad taste with your tone and now insults.

Edited by 'Dale

It’s an established fact

It’s the patriarchal system that benefit men

B*stards! So its like testosterone privilege?

Level the playing field fully. Women get paid the same for grand slam tournaments, then make the ladies play 5 sets. All equal,all fair. Will resolve the stats issues as well.

I do not believe that women can not play 5 sets. Only challenge i can think of of is the extra time needed for the extra sets to be played. Start the day an hour earlier for games.... fixed.

As I said somewhere else: put Serena in a 5 setter against Djocko or Nadal and see how she goes...

As I said somewhere else: put Serena in a 5 setter against Djocko or Nadal and see how she goes...

She wouldn't feature. They've already looked at this, and she wouldn't get inside the top 50 male players.