Rugby...

'Dale

My niece's boys ran on to the field at the Pumas game with their father Hennie the captain. What a great gesture from him. [emoji106] [emoji122] I took the picture from the tv [emoji15] 48e4e0c8af20b398fbe1d55a3d6dd01d.jpg

Hou die rubber op die grond!

Edited by BSG

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitewash, we were lucky to score 0. Never bought into the whole "Springboks are getting better" high five's all round. At a push 20 points diffs would be room for improvement, 57 is downright embarrassment. 

NZ herald rating of AB players. Middling ratings for exemplary result. Now that's ouch :P

Who shone and who struggled in the All Blacks' big win over the Springboks?

All Blacks
15. Damian McKenzie - 6
50th min wipers kick perfect to get territory and set lineout 5m from line. Still vulnerable at times under the high ball.

14. Nehe Milner-Skudder - 8
Slick finishing, especially his receipt of the B.Barrett backflip, the key in breaking Springbok resolve.

13. Ryan Crotty - 8 
Effortless direction of his side's fortunes out wide. Wins Smokin' Joe Stanley prize for pristine distribution.

12. Sonny Bill Williams - 6
Backstage role with effective passing and defence. Has the red card from the Lions series numbed his flair?

11. Rieko Ioane - 8
Telepathic with A.Smith to score 1st try when he got the jump on Rhule. Human skeleton key on attack.

10. Beauden Barrett - 9 
Audacity of 21st min Harlem Globetrotter backflip 1st on highlights reel. Unleashed full repertoire of skills.

9. Aaron Smith - 8
20/20 vision to set Ioane free with a chip kick in 18th min from quick tap. Enthusiastic sniping aided team momentum.

8. Kieran Read - 7
Quality lineout recovery in 40th min. Ran and offloaded effectively, to ensure a record score against The Old Foe.

7. Sam Cane - 7
Powerful in contact and breakdown grafting ensured his teammates enjoyed the spoils out wide.

6. Liam Squire - 8
Fearless tackling, especially try-saver on Kriel. Looked hungry, like he was ready to skin a rabbit with his teeth.

5. Sam Whitelock - 8
Master of the bear hug tackle and handy in lineout. Pinched a beauty with a tap off Boks' throw in 28th min

4. Brodie Retallick - 8
Gleeful look on chops when gifted 37th min try. Raised clenched fist in joy, before customary emotional grip resumed.

3. Nepo Laulala - 6
Difficult early stanzas in the scrum but provided plenty of physicality in the tight as the hosts racked up 1st half points.

2. Dane Coles - 7
Threw with gutterboard champion-accuracy for the most part. Produced the odd piece of finesse in broken play.

1. Kane Hames - 5
Let down by his scrummaging as Dreyer put him in a hyperbaric chamber of pressure. Crockett on in 43rd min.

Edited by Capricorn

saffa ratings

Springboks

15. Andries Coetzee - 6
Kick-chase accuracy struggled but attacking running, passing and aerial work sound in the circumstances.

14. Raymond Rhule - 3 
Found out of position and turning like the interisland ferry in 18th min as Ioane scored. Picked off like lint in 37th.

13. Jesse Kriel - 6
Runs like a torpedo but had few opportunities to launch. Feisty in defence, but difficult when chasing black shadows.

12. Jan Serfontein - 6
Robust contribution in all facets. Abrasive, but no chance with ABs in routing mood as ball kept moving through hands.

11. Courtnall Skosan - 5
Earnest but dizzy chase of the B.Barrett/Milner-Skudder show. AWOL when S.Barrett skipped across.

10. Elton Jantjies - 5
Could not create the required opportunities. Demoralising when ABs pounced against early flow

9. Francois Hougaard - 6
ABs counter-attacks meant he struggled to offer astute direction. Handy passing to set up runners in channel.

8. Uzair Cassiem - 5
Offered brawn and bulk but fast-twitch fibres could use a rev-up to drive past gain line. Looked exhausted

7. Jean-Luc du Preez - 6
Hard running, but assignment became impossible against ABs' slick distribution and recycling.

6. Siya Kolisi - 6
Tenacious tackling. Drilled Laulala on half hour mark but laboured as black juggernaut rolled into history.

5. Franco Mostert - 5
Gave scrum pep but replaced early in 2nd half by de Jager as visitors looked to gain any form of impetus.

4. Eben Etzebeth - 6
No lack of personal commitment, but could not inspire teammates. Identifiable by furrowed brow.

3. Ruan Dreyer - 7
Punishing scrummager. Put Hames on the braai with a back resembling Table Mountain. Less impact versus Crockett.

2. Malcolm Marx - 4
Looked like he was throwing lineouts for distance rather than accuracy. Musical chair jumpers didn't help.

1. Tendai Mtawarira - 6
Remains a scrummaging rock and virile lineout lifter but that had little impact against hosts' speed.

This All Blacks team is certainly on to something. They'd hinted as much in the last few weeks but for the first time this year, they delivered the package they were after.

They put together a performance that will probably sit somewhere close to being the blueprint they want to use for the rest of the season and possibly beyond.

And for good reason. They were devastating. This was the All Blacks up against it apparently, struggling for cohesion and confidence against a side that is unbeaten this year and climbing the rankings fast.

It wasn't close. The scoreline ended up being ridiculous - the sort of number kids make up in the playground to reflect their imagined dominance and yet there it was: New Zealand 57, South Africa 0.

Who ever imagined that would be the final score. The 57 was crazy but the zero to South Africa was insanely difficult to take in. A record of course and with it a degree of humiliation that the Boks may struggle to live down or get over.

But it was reflective - a truly accurate representation of the game. The All Blacks had South Africa sussed from the start and there was never any issue putting them away and as the game developed, the gulf between the two became apparent.

South Africa were made to look ponderous, dated even. They appeared to be playing old rugby where they took so long to bash the ball up the middle of the field and recycle.

It was pedestrian, one dimensional and in stark contrast to the All Blacks who looked to be playing almost a different game. One that was light years ahead - as if it had arrived from a different planet.

80 mins of All Black genius with 7 replacements.

The Bokkies showed up well in the first quarter.

No rush defence applied

Poor kicking options

Set pieces especially line-outs fail

And an impotent attack play

Tough trip back home ????

Sums it up. 

While the Boks had enough possession, in the first half in particular, to place pressure on the All Blacks, their execution let them down. Time and again they would make their way into the New Zealand half, and even the 22, but then a lost ball in contact or knock-on, or a loose pass would turn the ball over.

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/springboks/woeful-springboks-crash-to-record-defeat-to-all-blacks-11239459

Worst test defeat ever !!!

One still has to wonder if Coetzee is the right person for the job.

Nothing against him but I still think we need an overseas coach - preferably a NZ Coach.

Finally I have been vindicated on my assessment of the Boks, now that we have played against a team that can actually play rugby.

We are currently not even close to what we can be. Way too many passengers and token players in the team. No wonder that Lambie decided to throw in the towel and further his career in the EU.

When are our coaches going to learn that forwards in the backline is a bad, bad idea.

Worst test defeat ever !!!

One still has to wonder if Coetzee is the right person for the job.

Nothing against him but I still think we need an overseas coach - preferably a NZ Coach.

Was a k*k coach at the Stormers and is still a k*k coach!