Rugby...

'Dale

For me, a game of two contrasting halves.

Excellent play in the first by building phases, including gaining ground over the advantage line many times. Faf was able to pick and go giving the pack front foot ball.

By gifting them both tries, in the first half, courtesy of some unforced errors, it meant the Bokke were unable to build on their good first half performance. I guess that is a confidence thing and perhaps they lack it at the moment.

The second half, until the 60th minute was terrible when they put a few good moves together.

If the game plan going forward is based on the first half then I believe we have a chance to become a better team than the current form.

PST had a good game and I'd like to see him play the full 80-mins instead of Etzebeth.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes

Hope they can draw from that 1st half

GO BOKKIES

And I marvel at the All Blacks hey

Amazing rugby team

During the Haka, I noticed Faf giggling at the AB's, guess he's not giggling now. 

The AB's showed their superiority in the last minutes, after the full time siren went they had ball in hand and instead of kicking it out they played on, when SA got the ball they ended the game.  

Edited by scotty

This comment from NZ Herald pretty much sums up SA Rugby at this point in time:

South Africa could tick all the obvious and expected boxes such as set-piece solidity - although their scrum was creaking badly - and defensive linespeed and accuracy. But they brought so little else and the days of being able to win a test on muscularity alone are long gone.

That sort of approach was able to keep them just about in touch for 55 minutes or so before they capitulated.

And these days of limited game plans are gone because the All Blacks can tick all the foundation boxes and so many more. Their ability to use the ball is reaching new and unprecedented heights.

6 tries to 1, pathetic would be too kind. and i think the AB's had an off day.

I wouldn't call it an off day when they scored >40 points on the day - something which they've done at home in all three games in the RC.

They made errors because of the pressure applied by the Bokke in the first half (and the AB's respect for their foe).

They trust the player to their left/right to make the tackle, which means gaps are hard to find. Habana's try was created from well executed moves through the phases. Every pick and go got the Bokke over the advantage line, which means the AB's were constantly on the back foot. Errors, missed tackles and perceived off-form can easily be mistaken for pressure applied by the opposition - something they have not had to deal with much, in recent times.

The difference though is that they have 15 players that are all capable of taking opportunities when they are presented, which they did twice after knocks-ons, as well as Perenara's try - spotting the error from Lood de Jager (last touch).

The skill level of all 15 players (and their subs) on the field is incredible to see.

This time last year... most embarrassing day as a Bokke supporter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faf being showed he is not as good as they think. Both AB Scrummies kicked his ass. Jantjies is the worst. He can't play Big Matches. It showed up in SR Final as well as the last 3 Bible games. So everyone that said we must put in more Lions players. Today was proof that they Crack under pressure.... Except Warren Whiteley

So the current state of bok rugby is because of the Lions players? The same lions players that were lightyears ahead of the other sa teams in super rugby?

Yes, faf has regressed badly and jantjies never looked cut out for a bok berth. But in my opinion the buck stops with AC and his assistants, and next in line the captain. And all the senior players in the team that should be leading the newbies

I see lambie and hougard are in line for 9 and 10 next match. Bit risky putting lambie in when he has had little play time

So the current state of bok rugby is because of the Lions players? The same lions players that were lightyears ahead of the other sa teams in super rugby?

Yes, faf has regressed badly and jantjies never looked cut out for a bok berth. But in my opinion the buck stops with AC and his assistants, and next in line the captain. And all the senior players in the team that should be leading the newbies

Agreed! Faf and Jantjies was the best SA 9 and 10 combo by far in superrugby - that was why they got selected. But instead of making the most of their talents, they are being forced into a type of game they are not suited to. Neither Faf nor Hougardt is suited to a kicking/positional type of game - Frans Ludicke did the same to FH at the Bulls (and Pollard + Serfontein too, who were both players of the tournament at the junior WC). The player then has to think more about their options, doing everything a bit slower than their instinctive play. Tne net effect is damage to their confidence, resulting in loss of form.

Both these scrumhalves are aggressive players, attacking gaps and putting runners into space. They both bring massive defence too, but not a strong kicking game.

Imo they should pick the best players in each position and then invent a style that makes the most of that.

The best 9 and 10 for AC would be Ruan Pienaar and Morne Steyn if he wants to play a tactical game with kick & chase etc. (I dont like either much)

We have huge defensive problems, most glaringly the outside backs. The defence coach is a disaster. The boks have often used at least one big centre with a massive defensive game, in combination with a more creative partner.

The coaching staff also cannot seem to get the front row right. Beast is below par, and Strauss is also off his A game (except for lineouts).